pixeltracker

THE 39 STEPS... Hitchcock love necessary?

THE 39 STEPS... Hitchcock love necessary?

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#1THE 39 STEPS... Hitchcock love necessary?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 11:45am

I have a HipTix ticket to 39 STEPS tomorrow night (and a SUNDAY IN THE PARK ticket for tonight!) and I'm pretty excited, however, my question is:

I've seen most of Hitchcock's movies but literally not since I was about 7 years old (fifteen years ago). Except for the general themes of some, and some specific scenes from "Psycho," I have virtually no specific memory of them.

Am I going to appreciate/understand 39 STEPS at all?? I've heard it's very reliant on knowledge of Hitchcock minutae... could/does it work for someone who is essentially a Hitchcock virgin? Any input would be phenomenal, thank you!
Updated On: 2/22/08 at 11:45 AM

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#2re: THE 39 STEPS... Hitchcock love necessary?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 11:57am

Don't worry! The play is entertaining, and the Hitchcock references are fun but not crucial. And some of them are not subtle -

jlm96um Profile Photo
jlm96um
#2re: THE 39 STEPS... Hitchcock love necessary?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:10pm

I have very little Hitchcock knowledge, other than things made so famous you can't help but know about them. Even so, I thoroughly enjoyed the play. It's extremely entertaining and so much fun.

Gingerbread houses along golden, frothy canals. Like Venice... only different?

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#3re: THE 39 STEPS... Hitchcock love necessary?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 3:43pm

I have never seen a Hitchcock film and knew nothing about the story but saw The 39 Steps in London (mainly because is was a matinee on a day few shows have a matinee). I loved the show and thought it was clever with a good story and excellent cast.

CouldaWouldaShoulda Profile Photo
CouldaWouldaShoulda
#4re: THE 39 STEPS... Hitchcock love necessary?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 3:48pm

I am not a huge Hitchcock fan at all and I enjoyed the play very much.

"A well-rounded performer will listen to all kinds of music. I like classical, Middle Eastern, and rock a lot." -- Patti LuPone

Videos