pixeltracker

May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?

May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#1May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:11am

I can't decide for sure. The production was AWESOME. The singing, the orchestra, the acting - A+, no doubt. If you saw BARE in it's off-Broadway production (which is now touring Texas like a lighting bolt) what did you think? I feel less than RENT (though some of my friends are excited beyond belief!) I'm willing to see it again. Do YOU think it has the passion of RENT? Even if you've never seen RENT... do you love it? I might need to see it again, mind you - but I had a hard time (at THIS production) feeling the compassion (OTHERS say I missed it BIG TIME!) Help!

George: Rubbing alcohol for you, Martha? Martha: Never mix, never worry!

tourboi
#2re: May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 4:19am

I can't speak for the production in Texas, but it's not a tour. There are regional productions popping up all over the place now, but none are commercial or tied to the original production in LA, or the NYC production.

If the show is well cast, and directed, it can be one of the most emotional evenings spent in a theatre. If it's done not so great, it can fail (like most works).

I personally find "bare" to be an exhilarating piece.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 12:26pm

The Off-Broadway production was magical.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

snl89
#3re: May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 12:33pm

yeah, I don't know about other productions of it, but the off Broadway production was truly incredible. The show isn't flawless- there are some places here and there that could be tighter and stuff. But over all, the story is just so incredibly powerful, and the characters are all developed so well. Unlike Spring Awakening where the book is one of its weaker points while the structure and music in the show is what makes it brilliant, with Bare I feel like the book is the show's main strength. The songs are really there simply to add further emotion to what's already a well written, emotional piece. (that said, I love the music a ton! :))

as far as comparing it to RENT- well, I feel like they're very very different. It's really a lot more like Spring Awakening than it is like RENT. Do I think it's BETTER than RENT or Spring Awakening over all? umm.. well it comes close, but probably not over all. I feel like RENT and Spring Awakening are extrememly powerful and engaging as well. But I do think, again, that Bare has the best book of the three, and probably equally as good music (ok, I'm partial to RENT's music like crazy, so maybe RENT still wins in that regard). So it's AS good as those two shows, which says a lot coming from someone who is an avid fan of both :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#4re: May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 12:54pm

I've never seen it, but I listen to the recording daily, I'm a wittle bit obsessed. When you put the songs to the plot description on wikipedia (which dont yell at me was reccommended by the bare site) it is incredibly touching.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: May Be OLD To You, But New To Me - What Did you Think Of BARE?
Posted: 3/16/08 at 1:04pm

Yes, the Off-Broadway production was sensational. I saw it 5 times. One of my favorite shows.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson