Cry-Baby Preview

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#25re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:34pm

It means the show is in trouble.

Hey does anyone been to ATC lately? so what are they saying there about CRY-BABY?

J*

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#26re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:37pm

nmartin, what else are they going to have interns do?

PEACE.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#27re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:43pm

It just seems like it's a waste of time. Why send propaganda interns when you could just fix or cut your losses and close the damn thing?

Yankeefan007
#28re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:46pm

nmartin - It happens a lot in Hollywood. Production companies have their interns and everyone else at the bottom of the totem poll go on the message boards and shill various works that aren't getting good buzz.

It doesn't happen much with Broadway, though this is an extremely specfic case. It's like all the Clay Aiken yokels - people who join to post about a specific subject and post about nothing else.

If the starter of this post had not joined this morning to post positive comments about a show which, up until now, has gotten entirely negative buzz on this and All That Chat, it would not be suspicious.
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 01:46 PM

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#29re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:48pm

Finally someone agrees with me!

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#30re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:49pm

Yankee, thanks for explaining. I really was curious.

mels3192 Profile Photo
mels3192
#31re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:50pm

my name is melissa, i am an actress and recent graduate of nyu. i have never worked for a theatre producer. im obsessed with next to normal which is why i posted about it, but other than that i have never posted on here but have been reading posts for a long time. i post a lot on a spring awakening blog on a different site. i decided to post about cry-baby bc its the first time ive REALLY disagreed with the majority of posters. (grease, legally blonde, etc)

i just had so much fun at this show. is it the best thing ive ever seen..NO! of course not! i just don't get why you guys hate it?!

sometimes its important to see shows that make you think (frost/nixon, farnsworth, august), sometimes its important to see shows that make you cry (Sheba, next to normal) and sometimes its ok just to have fun.

so now you know who i am and why i posted.

I AM NOT A SHILL! (to be read like nixons "i am not a crook" =) )

Yankeefan007
#32re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:52pm

Hell, even movie commercials are shilly. You ever see one of those tv spots where they have "random audience members" professing their love for said movie?

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#33re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:55pm

It's all so transparent.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#34re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:58pm

mm703- you know I love you, baby? but youre not even 20 yrs old...so technically you dont count! (not in any condescending tone) re: Cry-Baby Preview though I'm glad that you like the show.. I am very happy for you! re: Cry-Baby Preview

I looked at posters who's been writting their thoughts for almost all the shows...not just RENT or WICKED or SPRING AWAKENING... like ALL THE SHOWS!!!... including plays & off-broadway... that's why I take Yankeefan, WaT, Dottie, Jordangirl, Norn, CPD, Ry, WBaf, luvtheemcee, frog_fans, and so many other poster's thoughts seriously...

so see more shows and contribute here aside from those three shows above and well see!

re: Cry-Baby Preview

J*

Updated On: 3/18/08 at 01:58 PM

musicalmaster703
#35re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:02pm

I have not seen only them i have seen,
Passing Strange
Sweeney Todd
The Phantom Of The Opera
Hairspray
Young Frankenstein
Rent
South Pacific
Cry Baby
In The Heights

I haven't even seen wicked for gods sake.

Updated On: 3/18/08 at 02:02 PM

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#36re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:02pm

Everything is so tainted these days. And all I've seen is Cry Baby threads these past few days, Enough! Please there are other Broadway shows. That deserve alot more attention than this.

#37re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:07pm

to be honest, i was hired by SOUTH PACIFIC to trash CRY-BABY

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#38re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:14pm

mels3192, welcome. I totally understand seeing and liking a show just based on pure entertainment. There were moments that I was entertained at Cry-Baby, but those were few and far between. I thought the dancers worked their asses off in this show. The choreography was one of the few things I liked about CB.

I learned my lesson though. As I don't live in NYC, my time there is valuable. I will never see a first preview of a show. I expected more, as this show already had an out of town tryout.

The people I know from the board (and whose opinions I respect), want nothing more than a show to succeed. At the same time, we all state how we truly feel. I'm glad you liked the show, though. I really wish I did.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

#39re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:18pm

that was a big lesson for me, as well....NO MORE FIRST PREVIEWS!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#40re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:20pm

Seeing CRY BABY on Saturday night made me realize how much I love going to first previews! re: Cry-Baby Preview

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#41re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:21pm

"i just had so much fun at this show. is it the best thing ive ever seen..NO! of course not! i just don't get why you guys hate it?!"

I'm sorry. I just can't take any reviewer seriously when they use this argument. It's ridiculous. We aren't children. We realize the type of show it aims to be, which is a fluffy and entertaining night in the theatre. People don't hate it because it's not the "best thing they've ever seen," they hate it because it fails at being an entertaining night in the theatre, and instead cautiously sneaks up behind them and strangles their intelligence until they feel like their brain is liquefied enough to make miso soup.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

musicalmaster703
#42re: Cry-Baby Preview

heck at least it is better than glory days!

mels3192 Profile Photo
mels3192
#43re: Cry-Baby Preview

thanks for the kind response!

im sorry you didn't like it! i think there is a lot that needs to be worked out during previews, but i think they know that too (at least i hope they do!)

you are right, seeing a first preview is probably too risky when you have a limited time in the city. i'm pretty lucky that i live here! and being a (currently unemployed...but hopefully not for long re: Cry-Baby Preview ) actress means i have tons of free nights, so i treat myself to lots of theatre!!

DottieD'Luscia
#44re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:23pm

WAT you and I are like night and day!!

N69N, I was literally in a bad mood on Sunday because of my experience on Saturday night. I didn't like ending my trip on that note.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

WithoutATrace
#45re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:26pm

Dottie, you've just had three very bad experiences with first previews: Chita Rivera The Dancer's Life, The History Boys, and now Cry-Baby!

DottieD'Luscia
#46re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:27pm

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound!! LOL

WithoutATrace
#47re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:28pm

I aim to please re: Cry-Baby Preview

mels3192 Profile Photo
mels3192
#48re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:38pm

B3TA07 - im not critic, im a fan. so you taking my opinion seriously or not is really not of great concern to me. i just think its worthwhile to post an opposing view.

while i obviously disagree with a lot of the opinions about cry-baby, that does not mean that i think they are invalid or that i don't respect them. so i think i deserve the same courtesy.

for example, for the life of me i will never understand how people like Legally Blonde. i felt my IQ being lowered as i watched it. but when i talk to someone who enjoyed it, i say that i didn't like it and ask why they did. we discuss it. i don't respond by saying the show that they so enjoyed turned my brain into mush.

im not a theatre snob, i just have a love of theatre..once in a while just having fun is enough for me.

Intheheightsfrontrow Profile Photo
Intheheightsfrontrow
#49re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:40pm

mels3192 I absolutely agree.