pixeltracker

Has Anyone seen ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)

Has Anyone seen ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Has Anyone seen ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:52pm

Hi All-

I searched..only 1 thread came...not much insight:
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=961637#3507751

It was nominated for 6 awards at the Lucille Lortel Awards, yet no one is talking about it? hmm.. I might just see this one?

Anyone?

J*

Updated On: 4/2/08 at 03:52 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#2re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 3:58pm

Here's some PHOTOS from their website:
https://www.addingmachineamusical.com/adding%2Dmachine/

re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)

Updated On: 4/1/08 at 03:58 PM

Roscoe
#2re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 4:39pm

There's also this thread.

Go see ADDING MACHINE. A terrific show.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

whatever2
#3re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 4:47pm

im surprised there hasnt been more discussion of this show on these boards, myself ... i think i am going to try to catch it before the run ends, if i can find the time.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Noel&Cole
#4re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 4:47pm

I have not seen this production of the show, but I did come across the script and demo when I was working in the literary department at a Non-Profit theatre company in college. It was well constructed but not a particularly wonderful show. Maybe seeing it in an actual production helps it reach the audience. But it certianly did not leap of the page.

HOWEVER...I am excited to see it doing well. The Off-Broadway musical is a wonderful thing and people keep getting scared away from it because it seems hard to make a go. So I have the greatest respect for a musical that goes for a commercial off-broadway run.....wait...am I speaking correctly? This is a commercial run right? It's not part of a non-profit company right?

Roscoe
#5re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 4:49pm

Sorry, I did find another thread by searching ADDING MACHINE, but the link didn't copy.

Anyway, again, it is an excellent show, fascinating and compelling. Drop everything and go.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

TheBoyDownstairs Profile Photo
TheBoyDownstairs
#6re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 4:54pm

I saw it a few weeks ago and was shocked nobody here was talking about it...I really, really loved it. Its got such a different outlook, very bleak yet still enjoyable. Definitely one of the best things I've seen this season.

April Saul
#7re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 5:04pm

Yes! And it was amazing, so original, and well worth the TDF price I paid for it. There were more posts about it on the ATC board than this one, and I think it was there I'd heard that Sondheim had been seen in the audience, yelling "Bravo!" at the end of it. When I saw it, I could understand why.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#8re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 5:10pm

How's the score? Ive heard its really different... I see this all the time on TDF but somehow its gone now after being nominated for 6 awards... the discounts from playbill is about $46.00 incl. everything

I heard this musical started in Chicago like August : Osage County...There's not much hype about this one.. I am suprised that Yankeefan & WBaf Has not seen this yet? or did they without my knowledge? Anyone?

I am thinking of seeing this show and do a 10/10 Report..

Btw... where's Minetta Lane Theater.. that's in the Village? near John Barrow Theater?

J*

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#9re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 5:12pm

heard that Sondheim had been seen in the audience, yelling "Bravo!" at the end of it. When I saw it, I could understand why.

^^^ Oh my god. I definitely NEED to see this show!

EDIT: How's the staging? the scenery moves?

J*
Updated On: 4/1/08 at 05:12 PM

TheBoyDownstairs
#10re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 5:45pm

The music is definitely very different, but very appropriate for the subject matter. It fit the piece perfectly. There arent a ton of scene changes, just between the apartment, work, jail and the afterlife, but they are solid and fit the mood of the show.

Minetta Lane Theatre is on surprise Minetta Lane, which is one block south of W. 3rd St & 6th Ave.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
April Saul
#12re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 9:12pm

Jaystarr--
It is almost always up on TDF, and has been since the glowing reviews, so keep an eye out...and yeah, it's not just the music, I love the staging and lighting of it, too. It's not everyone's taste, there were ATC posters who hated it, but for me, it was just lovely, I would see it again in a minute!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#13re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/1/08 at 9:17pm

I just checked TDF and its ALL GONE already... It did not occurred to me till yesterday when it gets 6 nods... Can you guys please alert me when its on TDF again? Saturday or Sunday matinees. Thanks and I will appreciate it. I can save 50% vs. $49.00 on playbill.com discounts...

J*
Updated On: 4/1/08 at 09:17 PM

Roscoe
#14re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/2/08 at 2:38pm

Very good news: per PLAYBILL.COM there will be a cast album. I'm counting the days.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#15re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/2/08 at 2:49pm

Yay! for PS CLASSICS!!!! love ya guys!!!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/116433.html

The score to Adding Machine, the celebrated modernist musical currently sounding a thunderclap in Greenwich Village, will be preserved on a cast album on the PS Classics label, the producers announced April 2.

The musical based on the Elmer Rice play about a wage slave pushed to the brink in a dark capitalistic world was recently nominated for six Lucille Lortel Awards. It had already won the Joseph Jefferson Award as Best New Work for its Chicago world premiere.

DidYouReallyHearMe
#16re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/2/08 at 3:39pm

I've seen it 7 times and all I can say is wow.
I love the Elmer Rice Play and this just made his work shine even more.
Definitely go see it!!

TheBoyDownstairs
#17re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/2/08 at 8:03pm

I'm so happy about this cast recording! As I was leaving the show I was trying really hard to remember the melodies because I thought this would be one of those shows where I'd never heard the music again. Glad I'll be able to buy the album come june :)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#18re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/2/08 at 9:59pm

Yay! I am seeing this next weekend with WaT!! Its on TDF guys!!!

Updated On: 4/2/08 at 09:59 PM

#19re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/3/08 at 9:19am

We saw two of the Lortel nominees: The Slug Bearers and Adding Machine, and loved them both. And we were surprised how many people on this board hated them both.

We saw Adding Machine with TDF tickets on Feb. 19, and as we walked over to Macdougal afterwards the two guys in front of us were saying how much they disliked it. Then the next day we read postings about how Sondheim gave it a standing O. Go figure.

The music -- and I'm no composer -- seems to follow the kind of arpeggio style used not only by some of the minimalists, but also some of the old prog rock keyboardists. Rather than landing a chord all at once, they play each note of the chord individually and repeatedly, for hypnotic effect.

The second song, which I think is called "Office Reverie," is by itself worth the price of admission. Three pairs of number crunchers seated at their desks weave an intricate and repetitive tale of their quiet desperation, repeating numbers mixed with personal thoughts.

I wouldn't say it's an uplifting story, and you won't leave the theater humming any tunes from the show. But you'll remember the show and how baffled it left you feeling. For my daughter, it led to a whole discussion about heaven and hell, and who goes where.

Oh, and by the way, Jaystarr, to get there take the subway to West 4th and it's around the corner, directly behind the McDonald's and the playground. I think they have $25 rush tickets too.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#20re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/3/08 at 11:34am

Wow, I'd only heard of this today when I saw the Playbill.com. Looks interesting! And those production photos are so enchanting and intriguing.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#21re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/3/08 at 12:37pm

I have been holding my breath, wishing and hoping I can get tickets for this. It looks and sounds remarkable. Coloring outside the lines of musical theatre. Definitely my kind of show. Something tells me I may become incredibly enamored with it when I do see it.

However, I can't afford the $65 or the $49 BwayBox discount. I'm either hoping someone takes me or it'll show-up on a papering site. Because I'm not a member of TDF. Don't want this one to pass me by.

Those photos are gorgeous, thanks for posting, Jay.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#22re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/3/08 at 12:45pm

Eugene- check your pm

J*
Updated On: 4/3/08 at 12:45 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#23re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/3/08 at 4:15pm

Has anyone ever been successful getting student rush to this? I know they have it before performances for $25.00 the day of. But I hate to head over there and face the disappointment. I'm an enormous fan of the source material and desperate to see the musical.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Cutielyricist Profile Photo
Cutielyricist
#24re: Has Anyone seen The ADDING MACHINE? (musical/off-broadway)
Posted: 4/3/08 at 4:46pm

I caught it on tuesday.... It is a very good show. It wasnt my cup of tea when I saw it, maybe because I came down with a cold just before the show...and also..I think it sometimes takes time for a show to hit. This is example..but looking back I really enjoyed it. One thing though...Im glad I saw it alone..its kinda cathartic to see a show like this alone...It wouldnt have been the same with someone else. It really hits you...

Videos