pixeltracker

My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08

My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#1My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/26/08 at 10:28pm

Okay this was my second time seeing the show. And it was even better than the firs time, if possible.
The cast was:
Melchior- Jonathan Groff- really in his element tonight. incredible job. my god he can make me cry!

Moritz- Blake Bashoff- INCREDIBLE performance tonight. hilarious when necessary, SCARYINTENSE and serious when necessary.

Wendla- Lea Michele- her voice sounded even better than usual today.

Ilse- Emma Hunton- I WAS SO IMPRESSED BY HER. SHE IS FAR BETTER THAN LAUREN PRITCHARD. STRONGER VOICE, STRONGER ACTING.
*the producers told her to cut her hair like that, stop whining please*

Martha- Jenna Ushkowitz- really impressive. all the understudies impressed me tonight.

Thea- Eryn Murman

Anna- Phoebe Strole

Georg- Skylar Astin

Otto- Brian Charles Johnson- I hate to say it, but he sounded horrible tonight. He usually has a beautiful voice, but he sounded really sick I guess.

Hanschen-MATT DOYLE!- OH MY GOD I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOY. Perfectly captured the asshole which is Hanschen. Perfect replacement. Hottest kiss I've ever seen.

Blake Daniel-Ernst-So awkward. In a good way, hes so great.

Adult Man- Glenn Fleshler- I don't like him. Hes not funny or good at being serious. He needs to...leave.

Adult Woman- Christine Estabrook- SHE IS SO HILARIOUS!!!!!! Great comedic timing.

Ensemble- Jesse Swenson and Gerard Canonico.

This show never fails to make me cry, but these guys were so on tonight. I was crying hysterically from the first note of Mama Who Bore Me to the last bow. Everyone was so into it tonight and I got sucked in right away. There were no mistakes, not even any missed notes. It was a perfect Spring Awakening experience. =)

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/26/08 at 10:43pm

Lea, Groff and Blake Bashoff really make this show great..I have no clue what I'm going to do when 2/3 of it leaves....

but the ensemble is great..along with the understudies...along with Alexandra Socha who I want to replace Lea...

#2re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/26/08 at 11:00pm

Are we STILL reviewing this show?

Honestly.

oohshizz146
#3re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 12:46pm

steven- yeah, I saw Alexandra Socha as Anna last time I saw it and she was kind of annoying, but I've never seen her as Wendla. I heard she's great though!

findyourgrail- are we STILL wasting our time opening posts we dont like to comment on how you dont want to read them?

Honestly.

#4re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 1:25pm

Your wit astounds me.

Ooops...am I using words that are too big?

How bout this:

LyKe OmGgGgGgGgG! sPrInG aWaKeNiNg iS dA bEsT mUsIkaL eVaRrRr! Im BfF wIt ThE cAsT! tHeY eVeN aUtOgRaFeD mY rEsTrAiNiNg OrDeR!!!!

snl89
#5re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 1:37pm

^what's with the rudeness?

there ARE some posts that are legitimately too fangirly, but oohshizz146's review was not one of them.

honestly, acting all upity is NOT going to make you seem "cooler" re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08

awesome review by the way! I'm glad you enjoyed it! re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 4/27/08 at 01:37 PM

oohshizz146
#6re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 2:23pm

Thank you so much, snl, really =)

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#7re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 2:35pm

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! I'm going for my third time next month, and I can't wait! It's good to hear that the show is in good shape.

I'm also sorry about the rude poster. I don't understand why some people bother coming here if they just want to trash others. I just try to ignore them.

Great Review!

oohshizz146
#8re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 2:56pm

Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it when you see it!!! Are you going before or after JonGroff leaves?

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#9re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:06pm

and I thought I was bitchy....

Findyourgrail, I don't think it's a big deal that people are reviewing shows that have been open for a while. people enjoy sharing their expierences. Personally, I enjoy the differences in everyone's reviews.

Thanks for that Ohhshizz

p.s. - you love Matt Doyle? Go back and see JESSE SWENSON sometime. absolutely fantastic and such a sweetheart. He took a class of mine and is a wonderful performer!

oohshizz146
#10re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:09pm

Aw, thank you so much, really =) I'm glad i'm getting so many NICE people on my thread =)

Yeah, I do love Matt Doyle oodles. Not just because of SA, though. I was really moved by his performance on the Bare recording, thats what got me into him. I really want to see Jesse Swenson in a role, though! He was in a seat in the ensemble yesterday, but thats all I've seen him in. I can't wait to see him on Gossip Girl though!!

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#11re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:13pm

is Doyle more of a dramatic or comedic actor?

obviously there are ways you act that role (it's a dark serio-comedy) but Jesse is such a "class clown" type of guy and adds this really "immature" layer to the character... it's extremey intriguing.

oohshizz146
#12re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:16pm

I'd love to see him in it. Its funny, Matt Doyle seemed a lot like how Jonathan B Wright did it. He was really dark/funny if you know what I mean. Like so intimidating to Ernst it was hilarious. He was really really focused on Ernst and didn't smile. (except when they both started laughing by accident. That was pretty great). Haha, its kind of hard to put into words, I hope you get what I mean!

oohshizz146
#13re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:17pm

Wow. That was long. Okay short answer: A perfect 50/50 of dramatic and comedic.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#14re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:20pm

I see. thanks.

"perfect" though? Unless you're talking about Audra McDonald or Patti Lupone, I can't believe it until I see Doyle actually do the role. re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#15re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:23pm

Matt definitely is less humorous than JBW, but it's intentional and it works well. I've seen Matt's Hanschen a few times and love it to pieces. Overall though, JBW still remains the best Hanschen, hands down. He is a brilliant actor, and a comedic genius. Matt's Hanschen is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but there really is no comparing to JBW.

oohshizz146
#16re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:24pm

Haha good point. Although I'd rather see Matt Doyle as Hanschen than Patti LuPone :-P

Still though, I sure hope you write a review when you finally see Matt Doyle!!

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#17re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:29pm

Cristine Estabrook was out the day I saw this. I really wanted to see her!

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#18re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:31pm

JBW went on auto-pilot recently, though. Matt brings a new "life" to the character

I've seen JBW three times now (off-bway, bway opening, last month) and he's changed a lot. It's not good.

I understand how hard it is to keep it fresh and new after such a long time but that's a responsibility every Broadway actor must assume.

A close friend has been in the HAIRSPRAY run for over 5 years now and she sparkles at every performance. Why? She discovers something new every night and finds little things to play around with... 5 years later! Absolutely fantastic!

oohshizz146
#19re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:37pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. The same thing was happening with Lauren Pritchard.

antiandrewx
#20re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:42pm

I actually don't think JBW was on autopilot at all. Of the many times I saw him, he was different every single time. If you want to talk about autopilot, talk about Jonathan Groff.

oohshizz146
#21re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:43pm

No way!! I think Jonathan Groff always seems fresh.

snl89
#22re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:50pm

If you want to talk about autopilot, talk about Jonathan Groff.

awww, well.. I guess I can kinda see how parts of his performance might be becoming a little auto pilot-y, but I think the thing that makes it not matter is that he's still so freaking EMOTIONAL, especially in act 2. Like... Left Behind imparticular was actually even much sadder last time a saw it recently than it was back when I saw it in December '06. It was so raw and innocent and heartbreaking. And Those You've Known was even a bit more powerful too.

So yeah, Groff can still turn on the emotion like WOAH, but I don't necessarily disagree that certain parts of his performance are pretty on auto pilot at this point. But I just don't really care because I don't feel like it makes his performance over all any less powerful :)

I DO agree with you though, Andrew, that JBW was fantastic comedically! :) He was just like.. really really perfect for that role. As much as I think Matt is absoltutely adorable and super talented, I think it would be slightly strange seeing him in the role just because.. he seems so soft and sweet, and JBW played it so domineering and hard edged. haha

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 4/27/08 at 03:50 PM

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#23re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:51pm

I was at the matinee yesterday, too, and Jonathan Groff was terrible. It was the worst time I have seen him out of the many times I have gone.

antiandrewx
#24re: My review of Spring Awakening matinee 4/26/08
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:53pm

I think his hammy overacting of some things (especially the graveyard scene) ruins the moment of scenes. I used to really enjoy his performance, but have recently thought to be nothing but overacted and phoned in.

I'm still a huge fan of his, but his performance is not good at this point. It's time for him to go. He needs vocal rest too.
Updated On: 4/27/08 at 03:53 PM

Videos