pixeltracker

The Phantom Of The Opera- Page 3

The Phantom Of The Opera

dramagirl487
#50re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 2:13pm

i haven't taken the time to read the other posts, so sorry if its been said, but:

Its an amazing classic and deserves its long run

Watch the movie made a few years ago, its very true to the broadway show.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#51re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 3:27pm

Watch the movie made a few years ago, its very true to the broadway show.

HAHAHAHA! You're FUNNY! Tell us another one!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#52re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 6:35pm

The show has run 20 years by becoming a tourist attraction: People come to New York and want to see a big Broadway show and it is a title with solid name recognition. In other words, it appeals to those who do not normally attend theatre.

I don't find it as awful as most of Webber's other shows but if you have heard the London cast album you'll know that there a are long dull stretches of recitative between the big arias.

I covered the show just after the opening in 1988 and found the stage wizardry more impressive than the plot or performances. (Crawford was fantastic. Brightman was out the day I saw it.) I gave it * * out of 5. Most tellingly I didn't leave with any burning desire to see it again.

14 years later I was in New York with a friend who had never seen it and since they were offering balcony seats for $17.76 for the 4th of July week we bought. Afterwards I asked him to fill out my standard score sheet without telling him what I had given the show originally. The end result? HE gave it * * out of 5 as well.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#53re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 7:29pm

Phantom was the best show I saw one weekend in NY last October -- I was with my parents (their first time), so we did some touristy offerings. Les Miz, Jersey Boys, and Phantom. It was incredibly fresh and the cast was spectacular. That said, the show really isn't that good, but suffer from long-run-itis it does not.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#54re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 7:31pm

I agree that the show is running because it has become a name that tourists know and thus see.

I will admit that I do like the show but I will give it a 2 out of 5 as well. This is because I do understand that it does have some good music but it isn't the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to world of musical theatre.

However, I do like it. But, I feel like I am one of the few who understands that just because something is successful and able to make money and thus stay open all these years. Doesn't mean that it is a good show. I like it but it does have its faults.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

jackson992
#55re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/27/08 at 3:30am

You didn't say what you didn't like about it. None of webber's shows are awful and most are ingenious, especially The Woman In White.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#56re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/27/08 at 8:09am

What I didn't like about it?

The lyrics...dreadful. Just dreadful. Some don't even sit properly on the notes. At best they are bland, but a story this rich should have lyrics with bite and insight into the characters.

Because so much of the show is sung (and with bad lyrics) the characters are not fully fleshed out. Raoul is a wooden soldier. Christine, a ninny. The ONLY character of interest is Eric and his back-story is not clearly detailed. The opera parodies are amusing at first but very quickly grow tiresome.

I liked it a little more than CATS and lot more than STARLIGHT EXPRESS. All of these are shows that I would go out of my way to avoid seeing again. Even worse, SUNSET BLVD - a brilliant film turned into a mess on stage. And the same goes for WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND. I didn't have to stomach to even attempt WOMAN IN WHITE after slogging my way through the horrible cast album.

As I have said in other threads, Webber can write gorgeous melodies but he has absolutely no idea how to structure a musical or how to use music to enhance the story.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 5/27/08 at 08:09 AM

jackson992
#57re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:13pm

I think Sunset Boulevard and Whistle Down the Wind are brilliant. I will say for Sunset Boulevard you need to listen to the superior version with Glenn Close in it, not the mediocre version with Patti Lupone in it.

I don't see the problem with the lyrics in Phantom at all. I didn't really see the opera parts as being parodies, they're not funny. I think the one character that is weak is Carlotta who you wished would have died but the others behaved as real people would have.