The Phantom Of The Opera

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#1The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:03pm

Sorry if there was a thread on this already but I was just wondering how the phantom of the opera is. Im going in a few weeks never saw it. Can you guys tell me what to expect thanks.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:27pm

The music is mostly beautiful, and the stagecraft is dazzling. If you can stand soap-opera-ish stories (more plot than character development), then you'll like the story too.

However, do NOT expect the Falling Chandelier to be a wonderful moment: ask anyone on these boards and they'll tell you that it is a huge anti-climax.

Of course, most of the posters on this board hate Andrew Lloyd Webber and all he stands for, so you might not get the most accurate description here.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Broadway212
#2re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:30pm

BustopherPhantom thanks for answering. This is the only broadway show I have not seen yet.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#3re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:32pm

I like, but don't love the show. It's a good show, and appeals to a lot of people.

If you're asking about the current cast, it's kind of a mixed bag. John Cudia took over for McGillin (thank goodness) for something like 8 weeks. I haven't seen him so I am not sure how he is. Jennifer Hope Wills and Elizabeth Loyacano are both excellent Christines. Tim Martin Gleason is a GREAT Phantom, but not such a great Raoul. I couldn't tell you about Kim Stengel as Carlotta, as she's relatively new.

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#4re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:34pm

i am prob the only other person on bway world who likes andrew lloyd webber coming to tell you it is a great show with beautiful music!!!! there is a reason it has been running for 20 years. and jennifer hope wills (christine) has a fantastic voice

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

Broadway212
#5re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:37pm

Adamgreer I wanna see jennifer hope willis do you know what days she goes on as christine thanks

lightguy06222
#6re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:39pm

See it in Vegas! I hear that the chandalier(sp?) falling is MUCH more intense!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:42pm

"Adamgreer I wanna see jennifer hope willis do you know what days she goes on as christine thanks"

She does all performances EXCEPT for Monday and Thursday evenings.

Broadway212
#8re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:43pm

thats what I heard I hear the one on broadway falls like an inch a minute

Broadway212
#9re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:43pm

adamgreer thanks I am seeing it on a wednesday I mean so she should be in it.
Updated On: 5/24/08 at 07:43 PM

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#10re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 8:02pm

I love the chandelier ascent. Very thrilling.

Yes, the descent is pretty slow, but it's still a nice effect, imo.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#11re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 8:27pm

Not trying to threadjack, why do the Christines only do 6 shows a week? Is it to vocally strenuous to do 8?

Thanks!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#12re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 8:35pm

"Not trying to threadjack, why do the Christines only do 6 shows a week? Is it to vocally strenuous to do 8? "

Yes, it's been that way since the show arrived, when Patti Cohenour did Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons, while Sarah Brightman rested.

piperlacyboo Profile Photo
piperlacyboo
#13re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 8:46pm

I saw Elizabeth Loyacano play Christine in Vegas and while she definitely looks the part age-wise, I did not care for her voice at all. Weird transitions between head and chest voice and kind of all over the place. But the Vegas set was amazing. I actually liked the show better at 90 minutes. I get bored during the manager scenes. Is that bad?

LittlexFallxOfxRain
#14re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 8:56pm

Beautiful show. Agree 100% about the chandelier dropping being undrewhelming. Also, not every seat is a good one because the Majestic is so big. Updated On: 5/25/08 at 08:56 PM

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#15re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 9:14pm

The show appeals to many, however I think it is extremely overrated. I'm sure you can expect it to be great, but the music is pretty bland for my taste. The designs, however, are amazing. Your eyes will be dazzled, your ears will not.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#16re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 9:23pm

A wonderful show with gorgeous music and outstanding direction/staging. Maria Bjornson's sets and costumes are stunning. The chandelier fall is very underwhelming, but I find that the the ascent of the chandelier during the overture is a much more thrilling moment.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 5/24/08 at 09:23 PM

Broadway212
#17re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:37pm

Thanks guys for all your answers I watched the movie and I listened to the original london cast recording. I think I will like it.

Updated On: 5/24/08 at 10:37 PM

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#18re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/24/08 at 11:18pm

Phantom is just as great everytime I see it. And John Cudia is the best Phantom I've seen, over McGillin...! Saw Cudia on tour and really thought he was great. And I actually like Elizabeth Loyacano more...but Jennifer is just as great too.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#19re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 12:39am

I love the show. I do prefer Jennifer over Elizabeth when it comes to Christines. I will agree that the chandelier fall does the opposite of what it is supposed to do. For something that is supposed to be very climatic and and scary and whatnot it goes on to be the exact opposite. It is very underwhelming and that is an understatement. I feel like I could get through the entire sunday new york times plus the crossword puzzle by the time it takes that thing to hit the stage.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

jackson992
#20re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 12:43am

The London Cast is far superior to the movie in every respect. I was hoping for such good things in the movie but was severely disappointed especially with Prima Donna.

bwaybabe2
#21re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 3:17am

"i am prob the only other person on bway world who likes andrew lloyd webber coming to tell you it is a great show with beautiful music!!!! there is a reason it has been running for 20 years."
into the woods 2, you are not the only one. I love it, too, and like you say, "...there is a reason..."!
Broadway212...you will most likely love the show, too (especially since you've seen and liked the movie already). I cannot see someone being a Bway fan, and NOT liking this show, though. =O
From what I hear here, this production is a good one, so ENJOY re: The Phantom Of The Opera

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#22re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 7:11am

I cannot see someone being a Bway fan, and NOT liking this show, though.

Actually most people who consider themselves “Bway fans” bash this show regularly. People think that bashing POTO/ALW makes them sound like they’re more distinguished theater goers with sophisticated tastes above the common blockbuster musical. In actuality it makes them sound like pretentious snobs that are too concerned with sounding like theater aficionados to form their own opinion. Trust me. I know. I used to be one of those people. I went through my phase where I looked down my nose at anyone who liked popular shows, but I eventually grew out of it and realized that most successful shows have legions of fans for a reason. That doesn’t mean that POTO is the greatest work ever written, but it is pretty damn spectacular and deserves to be judged on its own merits as opposed to its commercialized pop culture status.

Sorry for the rant

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#23re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 7:48am

I like Phantom, it's okay. I walked into the theater excited and walked out excited but I didn't think about it after that. It was amazing in that moment but after you don't really remember it/care for it. It's a good night out but not the best show

NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#24re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 7:59am

Its a good show. One of my favorites!