Usage of microphones in Plays

UniversalTheatreLove2
#1Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/15/08 at 8:18am

Hi everyone. Can anyone inform me a little about the use of mics in straight plays? I have seen quite a few that appear to me to be using just the projection of the actor's voices. Is that true? If so what makes some productions decided to use the actor's ability of projection while other plays (non-musicals) have their actors wearing body mics?

andrewcomp Profile Photo
andrewcomp
#2re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/15/08 at 8:58am

I've personally never done a straight play with a mic, and I did one musical without one. I think it's to add more character, alot of times, even in musicals, when they aren't singing, the mics are off. Not so much true on broadway because the theatres tend to be huge, but yeah. I'm not too sure onto why this tradition exists, but I don't mind it.

UniversalTheatreLove2
#2re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/15/08 at 10:14am

I definitely prefer actors to not wear mics. I think not only is it distracting to see the microphone coming from their forehead, but it also separates the audience more from the action on stage.

UniversalTheatreLove2
#3re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/19/08 at 10:07pm

Bump

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#4re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/19/08 at 10:29pm

Some plays in bigger houses use hanging mics and stationary mics that catch some sound.

August: Osage County used some stationary mics for sure in the Imperial, I heard it come out of Jeff Perry's mouth in a American Theatre Wing video.

UniversalTheatreLove2
#5re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/20/08 at 7:33am

Interesting...So there would be a mic hidden say at the dinner table?

p.s.
#6re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/20/08 at 11:09am

I've personally never done a straight play with a mic, and I did one musical without one.

I'm fairly certain that for South Pacific, at least through previews, Paulo Szot was not miked.

Now I see in a NYT article that miking apparently reduces the strain of speaking:

"Surprisingly for a singer trained in opera, Mr. Szot has called the body microphone a 'wonderful thing' that enables him to deliver spoken dialogue with conversational naturalness.

"Just one week after opening night, he was afflicted with a throat ailment and had to miss several performances. In interviews he said the strain of speaking his lines, something he was not used to, was the cause of his troubles."

p.s.

Link

UniversalTheatreLove2
#7re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/21/08 at 10:33pm

What a great article.

sleepyguy1717
#8re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/21/08 at 10:36pm

Plus mics are nice when you do 8 shows a week, so you don't have to blow your chords every night. Even talking can really wear you down.

I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.

cello_dude Profile Photo
cello_dude
#9re: Usage of microphones in Plays
Posted: 6/21/08 at 10:41pm

For all the plays I have worked when they toured Chicago: Golda's Balcony, .... Virginia Woolf, 12 Angry Men, Doubt, A Bronx Tale, they have all used microphone. That could be because the theater is much bigger then broadway's play houses though

Videos