Auggie27
#75re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:35am

Agree with Phyllis. Look at Cher.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

huckleberry22
#76re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:50am

I Like Bernadette. I really like Patti. they are both talented women, and very different.

I hate to pull this card, but why do we have to pit women against each other? I see this far more often than done with fellow male actors. Patti is not as good as...she is better than... she is nicer...she is this...she is that...
can't they both be wonderfully talented and iconic in musical theater now, without needing to be pitted against each other?Its as if no matter what you put out there, it is worthless unless we can compare it to someone else.

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#77re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:57am

I like Bernadette and Patti equally. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's like comparing Mary Martin and Ethel Merman. Ethel may have been the bigger star at certain points in her career, but Mary definitely had her great share of moments. They were two of the greatest women in history, and they should be remembered equally.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

broadwayjules
#78re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 1:23pm

""I agree!

Even though it does sound like you are actually describing me, instead...""

I thought so too, toodarnhot re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day

What a neverending, pointless thread...as if suddenly everyone is going to convert to one side...hiiiiiiilarious

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
Thomas14850ny2 Profile Photo
Thomas14850ny2
#80re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 3:26pm

Peters: Bigger Hair
LuPone: Bigger Mouth
Peters: Bigger Breasts
LuPone: Bigger Bum
Peters: Big Talent
LuPone: Big Talent

Suellen, you forgot Bigger Ego re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day

#81re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 4:00pm

Agreed TooDarnHot, but you're so obsessed with me you have to keep checking in to see if I've added anything. It's cute.

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#82re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:50pm

I did not see Lupone's performance, and probably won't for several reasons.

I did however see Bernadette twice in the role. Her performace honestly redefined "theatre" "Broadway" and "actress" all in the same night.

I have seen countless shows local, regional, Broadway, etc...and there have only really been two actresses that actually pulled me into the show. It wasn't..."ooooooo! Bernadette Peters! I can't believe I'm in the same room with her! OMG she walked down the aisle RIGHT BY ME"...I didn't have time to get all starry-eyed. She has already captivated me as Rose from the moment she opened her mouth.

If you read GYPSY: A Memoir. It is mentioned that Rose used seduction at times to get what she wanted. That's obvious in the show as well. But for all of the performers I've seen as Rose (sans Lupone) I believed Bernadette the most! Her fury, seduction, mental breakdown, and determination were shining like the sun in my eyes. I believed every emotion this woman went through.

However, the post is about who is the bigger diva of our day. And tho I have enjoyed Lupone on Law and Order, Will and Grace, in Evita, Sweeney, etc., I believe that Bernadette IS the bigger diva. The passing of her husband and concert tour has caused her to lay low on the Great white way for the past few years, but I'm still holding hope that she'll return.

And I agree, to ask people on the street who they like better, hardly anyone would know who either of them are. But I'm sure if they were to watch clips of both ladies in things they've done, people would be more familiar with Bernadette.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#83re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:59pm

JoeKevvy - you didn't come to lunch with me and Lake on Friday. I'm so mad at you!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#84re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day
Posted: 6/17/08 at 6:02pm

re: Patti did fine, but it's inarguable: Bernadette is the Diva of our day

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/17/08 at 6:09pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 06:09 PM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#88Get A Life, Joe!
Posted: 6/17/08 at 6:51pm

-- "Talent whatever. that pic says, 'ME ME ME!' "

You know, I wasn't exactly in love with Ms. LuPone's acceptance speech, but why shouldn't that pic say 'ME ME ME!' ? She was accepting her Tony Award. Isn't that moment pretty much all about the individual receiving said award? It's that person's time to receive recognition and bask in it. It's an achievement for whoever the 'ME' happens to be.

And it's nice to thank the people who helped you get there, which Ms. LuPone also did.

-- "Yes, they both had different interpretations, but in no way is Patti's performance as Rose not layered and subtle. Have you seen Patti in Gypsy? Because after seeing both I have found much more subtlety in Patti's version. It might not come from the big belting numbers in the first act ("Some People" and "Everything..."), but in her numbers with Boyd Gaines and Laura Benanti she has discovered more layers in Rose than I would've thought she was capable of. And if by saying "in your face and scary" you mean that Patti can sing the score better, well I guess that is correct."

jewishboy-

I am so glad you said what you did. I agree with you completely. Speaking for myself, I loved Ms. Peters' performance as Rose a few years ago, but I enjoyed Ms. LuPone's even more and I get tired of hearing that her work isn't nearly as nuanced. Because, in fact, it is and, as you said, perhaps even more so.

-- "That was even more fun than criticizing Xanadu. It's amazing how much abuse gets heaped on you when you voice an opinion- especially one that goes against the herd. Imagine how many names I'd get called if I actually disagreed on a somewhat important issue."

I can't tell if you're being sincere in this statement or not. But I think it's pretty obvious that you not only intentionally stated a bold opinion that you knew would meet resistance, but you gave it its own thread and stated said opinion as fact, labelling it "inarguable". So I don't get the subsequent whining on your part, unless, in reality, it's sarcasm.