pixeltracker

What is the next long running show to close?- Page 2

What is the next long running show to close?

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#25re: What is the next long running show to close?
Posted: 6/28/08 at 10:08pm

Yes I love Phantom haters too. I love Phantom every time I've seen it (only 3 times, oh well) but I do feel like I get a little bored and want to skip to certain songs.

And I've have to disagree--I feel like people don't care whose in Phantom because they keep the people there for forever, or whenever they want to leave -- like Howard McGillian. He needs to be Hugh Panaro and decide when enoughs enough for the role. Take a break and come back in a year or so. I'm actually considering going within the month for John Cudia, who I saw on the national tour and loved.

And it for some unknown reason still suprises me to see people who want to see it close. Cats, easy it was just .. Cats. Les Mis, gets pretty boring after a while. But Phantom? Phantom (and ALW for the most part) has set a big name for musical theatre around the world. Phantom is the highest grossing entertainment venture ever. And I love the people on this board who are all "DON't SAY BLAH BLAH is going to close!" but when it comes to Phantom they're all over it. Phantom clearly has been around for as long as it has for a reason, and will run longer.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#26re: What is the next long running show to close?
Posted: 6/29/08 at 1:31am

Unfortunately, it looks like Avenue Q is on its last legs, especially if [title of show] or White Christmas loses a lot of money (which I am sincerely hoping does not happen, especially for [title of show]. I didn't mention West Side Story, because that is going to make money no matter what.)

Spamalot may be forced out before next year's Tonys, but stunt casting could keep it alive.

The movie gave Hairspray a boost that could help it stay alive for a long time. With grosses like it has currently, I can't see it closing before 2010.

Honestly, I don't think Phantom will ever close, at least not in the next ten years. (Though it would be great to see the show close with George Lee Andrews' departure. Nice sentiment.)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#27re: What is the next long running show to close?
Posted: 6/29/08 at 2:02am

I think that there are a lot of people who don't like Phantom which is why they want to see it close. However, they would feel very different if it was a show that they would like. Even if it was clear that a show was going to announce a closing soon because it isn't doing that well at the box office they would still get up in arms if you said a word about it closing.

I think that there is something enffable about Phantom. It has become the nubmer one show with regards to a big Broadway spectical. I feel like the reason why Cats became the longest running show on Broadway was because it was great with the international tourists. The show had next to no plot and it was just all singing and dancing with elaborate sets and costumes and you didn't need a fluent understanding of the english language to enjoy it. I find that Les Miserables and Miss Saigon had the same probmel with regards to the international market. They were very operatic in the way that they were performed and sung through in english. If you didn't have a good understanding of the English laguage then it would have been hard to sit through those shows. Those two did however have long and healthy runs on Broadway. I find that Phantom is a mixture of the two. You don't need to have a full understanding of the english language even though it is mostly sung because there is enough spectical going on in the sets and in the costumes that you can get lost in that and stll have a good night out at the theatre.

With regards to Ann Hathaway and the Phantom move. From what I understand she was offered the role of Christine ( I think looks wise she would have looked better against Patrick Wilso or Gerry Butler.) But, was signed on to to Pricess Diaries II whenver that started filming. She couldn't do Phantom because Phantom and Princess Dairies II started filming at the same time.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

zamedy
#28re: What is the next long running show to close?
Posted: 6/29/08 at 10:34am

Just by looking at the numbers, it unfortunately does look like AVENUE Q is in some trouble. Sure it has a small cast and lower running costs, but its grosses have been relatively low lately.

For what it's worth, I think SPAMALOT and CHICAGO still have some life in them. And I don't think HAIRSPRAY is in the 'trouble' that some here have suggested either. With the exception of two weeks during the winter doldrums, the show has grossed more than a half-million dollars every week this year... and is typically in or very near the top 10 grossing shows on Broadway. Not bad for a musical that's about to celebrate its sixth year on the Great White Way.
Updated On: 6/29/08 at 10:34 AM