DSM 2009

bonbon Profile Photo
bonbon
#1DSM 2009
Posted: 8/22/08 at 6:32pm

Did anyone pick up a copy of the Observer this week? Next year's BCS & DSM seasons are advertised, which is kinda weird considering I haven't heard any "official" announcements. I don't have a copy on me, but I do know RENT, A Chorus Line, Tarzan, The Wizard of Oz, Legally Blonde, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Frost/Nixon, and Mary Poppins were all on there. Was this ad run pre-maturely? How come the website hasn't been updated?

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#2re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/22/08 at 10:01pm

How odd. I knew Rent and Legally Blonde was coming. Glad to hear Mary Poppins and Chorus Line is on the way. Chitty - really?

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

bonbon Profile Photo
bonbon
#2re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/22/08 at 10:50pm

Oh, also Fiddler on the Roof starring Topol.

NY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
#3re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:10am

I also heard that they are getting Xanadu and Happy Days. And I also thought I heard something about Joseph but I'm not positive on that. I would like to see Xanadu. Which shows exactly are the BCS season and which ones are the summer season?

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

hermionejuliet
#4re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/25/08 at 4:50pm

Rent is in May, so I'm assuming that will be part of their summer season. I'm sure Frost/Nixon will be part of BCS.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#5re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/26/08 at 10:34am

"Xanadu" at the Music Hall? Ugh. Except if Max Von Essen, as rumoured, is Sonny. Then I am so there!

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

NY_Broadway2
#6re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/26/08 at 1:14pm

Well maybe that's part of the BCS season and it will play the Majestic...haha. Well I really want to see that show so I hope it's true. And I've never seen Max Von Essen before but I really want too. I know he's done tons of shows so I would like to actually see him perform in one.

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#7re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/26/08 at 1:50pm

Not to mention he's hot.

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

NY_Broadway2
#8re: DSM 2009
Posted: 8/28/08 at 5:39pm

Well tell us how you really feel DBillyP...haha

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#9re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/2/08 at 3:26pm

And he once gave me a peck on the lips and said, "Good night, Tex."

bonbon Profile Photo
bonbon
#10re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/3/08 at 6:29am

No Xanadu... I can't remember most of the BCS line-up, and of course I left the flyer thing at work... I believe The Pajama Game is part of BCS though.

NY_Broadway2
#11re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/3/08 at 8:50am

I wonder when they are supposed to announce the season. I think they are going to have several shows come like they did this past year. I think it boosted their sales and helped bring in lots of people.

Kermit1103
#12re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/3/08 at 10:05pm

Xanadu changed its tour dates to accomodate the Chicago sit down. Well, maybe next year!!

hermionejuliet
#13re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/21/08 at 12:39pm

Here is the winter and summer season. It was in the Dallas Morning News today. No info available on the website on tickets or anything like that.

Nov 11-16 - The Second City on Tour - Smart and Funny ---- Majestic

Nov 28-30 - 3 Redneck Tenor Christmas SPEC-TAC-YULE-AR---- Majestic(seriously?)

Feb 21-22 - Bob the Builder Live -----Majestic (seriously?)

March 3-8- The Rat Pack----- Majestic (whoo hoo!)

March 10-15 The Pajama Game----- Majestic

March 17-29 Tarzan

April 28-May 3 - Frost/Nixon -----Majestic

May 5- 10 - Rent (whoo hooooo!)

May 19-24 - Fiddler on the Roof

May 26- June 7 - Happy Days

June 9- June 21- The Wizard of Oz

June 23-July 5- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

July 7-19- A Chorus Line (yes!)

July 21-August 2- Legally Blonde

September 24- October 18- Mary Poppins

Updated On: 9/21/08 at 12:39 PM

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#14re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:18pm

That seems pretty weak to me ...

hermionejuliet
#15re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/21/08 at 6:36pm

I agree most of them seem like second rate tours (I don't know what to call it exactly, but that's my first impression).

I'm thrilled beyond belief about Rent, but I've know about that for months. re: DSM 2009 They haven't had Rent in the lineup for years. I'm excited to see Chorus Line because I've only seen this show once a long time ago. I didn't have a chance to see it in NY. Rat Pack is a guilty pleasure. In, no way do I think this is a great right off Broadway pick, but I love Rat Pack music. re: DSM 2009

Other than that, I can take or leave most of it. I might see Mary Poppins since I haven't seen that. And I might see Legally Blonde if very discounted ticks appear. That's about it.

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#16re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/21/08 at 7:39pm

I think it will come down to casting for me. For example, I likely will see "Rent" if Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal are still in the show. "Frost/Nixon" should be good, and I will wait to hear what folks are saying about the "Chitty" tour. I saw "Mary" in London and "Blonde" on MTV! LOL!

hermionejuliet
#17re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/21/08 at 7:44pm

Adam and Anthony will still be in Rent when they hit Music Hall. They are touring until the fall with the show. And if you haven't seen them, they are fantastic. re: DSM 2009

As for Legally Blonde - I don't think that MTV version did the show any benefits. The reality show, however, completely sucked me in and that is the only reason I am half way considering seeing that show.

NY_Broadway2
#18re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:07am

Ok I'm sorry but the Winter series is sooo bad. They only things that sound remotely interesting are Rat Pack, Pajama Game and Frost/Nixon. Everything else sounds like a bore. And the summer series is decent. Nothing too spectactular. There are some shows coming that I'm really interested in seeing: Chorus Line (never seen that show live before), Mary Poppins(never seen it), Rent (I have to see it with Adam and Anthony). Some of the other ones sound interesting. Not that great of a season but not bad I guess. I still wish we had gotten Xanadu especially since it's closing on Broadway and I've never seen it.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#19re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:09pm

I'm torn on Rent. I've seen it countless time and have seen Pascal more than I cared to back in the original run. The final performance on Broadway was a great way for me to end that chapter of my life, but at the same time - I never go to see Anthony perform the role as I got an understudy everytime I saw it during the OBC run. It could be worth it...

hermionejuliet
#20re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/23/08 at 9:41pm

Patronus,

I don't think you'd be disappointed with Anthony. To me, he IS Mark. And seeing What You Own with Adam and Anthony is an amazing moment of theatre. I've seen Rent many, many, times, and their What You Own is the best. I wouldn't pass it up if you have the chance.

NY_Broadway2
#21re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/25/08 at 9:19am

I thought DSM was also supposed to get the national tour of Curtains (they had said that a long time ago when they said they would also be getting Legally Blonde). Did that fall through?

Kermit1103
#22re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/25/08 at 11:02pm

Curtains postponed their tour until Fall 2009.

NY_Broadway2
#23re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/26/08 at 8:54am

Ahh thank you Kermit. I did not know that. Perhaps the 2010 season then. I wanted to see that show.

hermionejuliet
#24re: DSM 2009
Posted: 9/26/08 at 5:51pm

Yeah I would definitely see Curtains. There was another teaser e-mail in my mailbox from DSM. Which is so funny since it has been printed in two newspapers.