pixeltracker

You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')

You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:39am

I found this amateur Rose's Turn, and it's just too good to miss. It's titled "grad project."

If that means a project/performance for graduate school, then YIKES.

The entire song is spoken, its frightening (and not in a good way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4hNvYStBSo

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 1:42am

Oh my lord...

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#2re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 9:43am

It's funny how the spoken dialogue before the song is spoken almost exactly like Bette Midler in the TV Film. And there are shades of Roz's version in there as well.......

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#4re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 11:53am

NO, this has got to be a "senior grad project" for HIGH school, put together the night before it was due.

And I dare say she is singing . . . Cuz that's how they sing on the planet she's from.

And the true culprit here is not the poor girl, but her mother, who should have never been sold that camcorder at Best Buy, nor should she have been given that public access code to YouTube.

Clearly only a mother could be moved by this performance.

Unfortunately, thanks to modern technology, the rest of us are now subjected to the results.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#5re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 12:02pm

Wow, that was extraordinarily bad. And then when she got to the "I had a dream" part, she gets ahead of the music. I'm not sure whether it's a recording or not, but by the time she gets to "Well somebody tell me...", she's and the music are totally off and she sounds horrible!

EDIT: Ok, after watching the whole video I'm certain it's a recording cause any live band would have jumped ahead to catch up with her. That was a truly painful experience!

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 10/4/08 at 12:02 PM

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#6re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 12:31pm

The really scary thing is, I can tell that she actually is 'singing' to some extent. So, if someone said, she shouldn't 'speak' it, she wouldn't know what they were talking about. But wow. Even if the 'singing' wasn't so bad, for me, the acting was the really painful thing.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#7re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 5:36pm

Ahahahahaha

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#8re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 5:49pm

Betty Buckley step aside.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 6:12pm

I highly doubt that was for grad school, it's way too sloppy. From the costume to the blocking to the painfully awful band to the ridiculous "acting" and "singing" (she couldn't hold that "Leeee" right before "well, someone tell me when is it my turn" to save her life).
Poor thing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bwayfan9
#10re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 6:52pm

gross

Obama/Biden 08

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 6:53pm

I absolutely hate seeing High School girls perform this number. But at least the others on Youtube have a sense of pitch! eek.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 7:01pm

Some other High School Rose's Turns. Still pretty bad, but not as bad as the first girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtYT1kQNvdU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81g2QYWTSWk (the orchestra makes me want to commit suicide)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-B2xFQmFg

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#14re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 7:05pm

Yikes - don't let Patti see these.

bwaylvsong
#15re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 7:21pm

I'm actually in rehearsals for a college production of Gypsy now. I have total faith that our Rose will be able to not only pull the role off, but do so extremely well. Though, I agree it is generally not a good choice for college, or especially high school.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#16re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/4/08 at 9:44pm

What's really awful about this is that this girl (and her family) probably believe she has talent. Ugh.

Tesse Profile Photo
Tesse
#17re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 12:51am

Oh, ouch. Wow. I understand wanting to try a challenging piece of theatre, but what teacher told her that this was a good selection?

And what makes it worse is that with good direction, kids actually can turn in good performances in difficult shows. Years ago, I went to see a friend of mine in a high school production of Gypsy. I was in high school myself at the time, and my theatrical tastes were not nearly so refined then (ahem...), but I remember being rather impressed by the girl who played Rose. She started the final scene stalking around the stage as per usual, but then sat down on a random piece of scenery for most of the song, sort-of rocking back and forth while she sang. It was much more depressive than manic-- and probably easier for an 18-year-old to convey with any real depth. And it worked. Time has probably blurred my memory and I'm not sure how I'd feel about it today, but back then, having seen few productions, I thought she did a pretty good job.

If high schools are going to do such difficult shows, I wish they'd find ways to get the kids to connect to the emotions in the story, book and lyrics. I also remember a production of Show Boat at a different high school that was chilling in all the good ways. My clearest memory of that show was of the hand-cutting scene-- the girl playing Julie looked genuinely terrified. I don't know what their director did to get such good performances from the kids, but it worked.

Has anyone found any surprisingly good clips of high school productions on YouTube? That might be a nice balance to these disasters...

"I hate musicals... People don't sing in real life."
"Well, maybe they should."
--Kiss of the Spider Woman (cut line)

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#18re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 1:08am

Looking up vids of "Rose's Turn" by random high school students is my obsession. They're so much fun.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

bwaylvsong
#19re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 1:12am

"Has anyone found any surprisingly good clips of high school productions on YouTube?"

Yeah, just search bwaylvsong, and you'll find good productions of "Ragtime" and "Pirates of Penzance". re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')

Wow, I must come off as so stuck-up in this thread.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#20re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 6:40am

ljay889, it appears you lead a sad life.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#21re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 12:33pm

That is one of the best performances ever to be done at the Helen Keller Performing Arts School. Give the girl a break!

PEACE.

Ed_Mottershead
#22re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 1:49pm

Wihout question, the greatest since Florence Foster Jenkins.

BroadwayEd

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 2:05pm

jay889, it appears you lead a sad life.

- If someone does not want something criticized, do NOT put it on Youtube. It's simple.

broadwayboy101
#24re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 2:06pm

Was that her laughing at the end or someone in the audience?

susanlynn
#25re: You have to see this! (Butchered 'Rose's Turn')
Posted: 10/5/08 at 2:09pm

oh boy that was bad..:)

Videos