Election Night on Broadway

AntonEgo
#1Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/08 at 10:09am

Sorry if there's anything on this already, but I couldn't find anything. Did anyone see a show last night? Since a lot of shows get out close to 11, I was curious what the atmosphere was like around Broadway when the election was called last night.

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#2re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/08 at 10:20am

I saw 39 Steps last night and it was a decent crowd. The show started at 7 but no one was anticipating the verdict would have been out by 11 anyways! More like 1am when the West Coast polls closed and started to be submitted.

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

SillySara Profile Photo
SillySara
#2re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/08 at 10:30am

I was at Tale of Two Cities. The show started at 7pm, so it was out at 9:30pm. But as cast members came out, they were giving people waiting at the stage door news about the electoral votes coming in. I thought that was nice.

Walking through Time Square was hell.

Okayfine
#3re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/08 at 3:37pm

I was at Wicked & didn't hear a single conversation about the election. People who are election junkies probably wouldn't have had theatre tickets that night, so maybe that accounts for it.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#4re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/08 at 4:08pm

I would be curious to hear more about what the actors had to say.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#5re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/08 at 7:02pm

A friend of mine saw Jersey Boys last night and she said at the curtain calls one of the actors as he was leaving the stage yelled "Obama!" She said the city was insane with people cheering and screaming in the streets.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#6re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/08 at 8:21pm

My friend was at Hairspray and said a lot of the actors didn't stay very long at the stage door to get home for the election results.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

being.jeremiah
#7re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/08 at 1:10am

It was my first time seeing Billy Elliot last night (such an electric evening, Billy+Barack!). I don't know if it's usual at curtain call, but all but one of the cast members were waving little American flags. Haydn Gwynne was carrying the Union Jack.

Suh-weet.

kdek004
#8re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/08 at 6:57am

I saw August on Tuesday and after the curtain call, Brian Kerwin told everyone to head over to Times Square because we'd be seeing history.

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#9re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:40am

Anyone see Ave. Q? I'm sure the reaction to "For Now" was louder than usual.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

ProfessorG Profile Photo
ProfessorG
#10re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/08 at 1:25pm

I was there too. I almost cried when they waved those flags.
Obama is hope again. I went right home and celebrated by going to You Tube and seeing 'Obama Girl's Mama.' Very funny and satisfying.

Trekkie2
#11re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/08 at 1:28pm

Yeah, I was wondering about Avenue Q as well.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

nickip Profile Photo
nickip
#12re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/08 at 6:47pm

I saw Idina's tour last night and she seemed very happy with the outcome of the election. Mentioning how we are heading in the right direction. Her opening act (Chris Mann and his guitarist) wore Obama t-shirts :)

-Nick

renaibr
#13re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/7/08 at 9:13pm

we were at Boeing Boeing which also had a curtain call of 7pm.
we were walking out of the theatre at 940pm and
nobody was talking about the election at all.

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#14re: Election Night on Broadway
Posted: 11/8/08 at 1:55am

I bought super-cheap tix on TDF to The Seagull for Tuesday night, only realizing after the purchase that was election night. (Thus the cheap seats!)

The show was great, and the theater was totally alive with talk about the election, before and after the show. People whipped out their cell phones and Blackberries during intermission, but then tucked them away for Act II. Several people immediately checked the results once the show ended and announced in loud voices to the people around them what was happening.

Walking out into Times Square that night was magical. It reminded me of New Year's Eve prior to 9/11. The crowds were laughing, screaming, crying, and generally just bonding over the fact that after 8 long years of darkness, our nation was finally going to see a change.

The Seagull + Times Square + Barack, all in one night! I'll never forget it!