pixeltracker

My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night

My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#1My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:07am

Tonight, I had the utmost pleasure of seeing the opening night of Shrek The Musical on Broadway. Thinking that I wouldn't have a chance at the lotto, I woke up this morning and went anyway, because I figured that it couldn't hurt. We were surprised to find that they actually were offering up 49 tickets due to a mistake made in their computer system. I was the second to last name called, which made me a pretty happy camper.

Now, I grew up on Shrek. I loved it when it first came out, and it's remained one of my favorite movies ever since. I can remember for my birthday getting a bunch of my friends together and going to see the first movie. Shrek is a beautiful tale, and I was really excited when I heard that they were going to make it into a Broadway show. I had high expectations, and I was really hoping that I wouldn't be let down. I wasn't. Instead, I was treated to a night of fun, magic, beauty, and a hell of a lot of talent.

Tesori has written a great score, instead of just a novelty that advances the story with just a bunch of throw away songs. There are a few stand out songs that stay stuck with you. Among my favorites are, 'Big Bright Beautiful World', 'What's Up, Duloc?', 'I Think I Got You Beat', 'When Words Fail', 'Build a Wall', and the gorgeous 'Who I'd Be'. I'm eagerly waiting for the cast recording so that I can constantly put these songs on repeat. The only real low moment in the score comes from the song 'Donkey Pot Pie', which even then, it's not too bad. Overall, the music is very solid, the orchestrations are great (especially the acoustic guitar which clearly rings loud a few times), and you are left humming the songs.

If this production does not win a Tony award for its costumes, I'll consider it an upset. They are beautiful, especially Pinocchio's. The fairy tale creatures look amazing, Shrek looks great, I didn't mind Donkey's costume as much as some other people and I thought that they handled it nicely. Paired with the beautiful sets, Shrek is full of eye candy. It's very visually appealing, and you can see where your money went. I love the sets, costumes, and effects of the show. The lighting is beautiful as well. In my opinion, the technical aspects of this show were done very tastefully, and deserve recognition.

Of course, the show is topped of by the talent. I loved every single person in this cast. There were so many strong links in the Shrek chain, and they really made the production soar. Within the leads, everyone had great chemistry, blended very well, and made the most of their roles.

I'll continue with a character breakdown:

Brian D'Arcy James as Shrek. Wow, what can be said? He makes you feel for this ogre, and while Shrek is this hideous creature, he needs to have a certain likability so that the audience can relate and root for him. Brian certainly has that factor, and coupled with the singing voice of a Greek god, he is a brilliant leading Ogre. He has such great talent, and I'm glad to see it put to use in this show. His songs are beautiful, especially the end of Act One. Brian had the tough job of not trying to duplicate Mike Meyers, but by making the role his own. He does this, and creates a complex character that you can't help but love.

Sutton Foster as Princess Fiona. I have always wanted to see Sutton in a show, but I had no desire to see Young Frankenstein. I'm glad that I waited to see her in Shrek, because she really shines. She has a beautiful voice, is a great dancer, charismatic, easily likable, and is gorgeous. She is hilarious in the role, and really plays the bipolar princess extremely well. There was something very real about her performance, she gave off a really warm, friendly and appealing vibe. I don't think that it's possible to see Sutton in this role and not constantly find yourself smiling.

Christopher Sieber as Lord Farquaad. I've liked Christopher ever since I saw him in my first Broadway show, Spamalot, back in 2005. I was excited that he would be in Shrek, and I was floored when I saw him. His costume was great, and I love how they handled his height. he is given some of the best lines in the show and delivers them with expertise, proving that he's got great comedic timing. There has been a lot of Tony buzz surrounding him, and I agree full heartedly. Give this man the Tony! He has created a hilarious little insecure man who is not just a rip off of John Lithgow's handiwork. There are moments when he steals the show, and it is very possible that he could be the funniest in the show. Definitely one of the brightest stars in the cast of gems.

Daniel Breaker as Donkey. Daniel is an extraordinary singer, with a great knack for comedy. Personally, I am glad that they replaced Chester for Daniel, because Daniel is so good in this role. Again, as with the rest, he is not just a rip off of his animated counter-part. In fact, Daniel has stated that he has never even seen the movie Shrek. As with Christopher, there are times that Daniel steals the show with his performance. He looks like he's having a blast on stage, and takes the audience along on that ride. Donkey is a great role for him, which he handles marvelously.

John Tartaglia as Pinocchio. He is also the voice of the Magic Mirror, and the Dragon Puppeteer. Unfortunately, his role is not that large, but it is bigger than other people have made it out to be. Regardless of the size of his role, he steals the stage whenever he is on it. His costume is beautiful, his accents are great, and he is hilarious. The effect of the nose growing is very funny, and he is given some great lines. I hope to see him do more in the future, and it's a shame that he wasn't able to be used more in this show. He does what he is given perfectly, and he is very memorable.

Haven Burton as Gingy. I love Haven! She's great at singing, voices, comedy, and she ain't half bad looking either. She was one of my favorite fairy tale creatures. When I wasn't watching John, I was watching her. She is great with what she's given, and she has a few moments to really shines, and during those moments, she really captures the audience. Can't wait to see what she does in the future!

Overall, I thought that the ensemble was great and extremely energetic. They are very talented people who deserve a great deal of respect and praise. It is a very strong ensemble, and every person stands out in their own way.

I would recommend Shrek to every. I loved the show, and I wasn't let down at all. Fans of the movie, you will most certainly enjoy the show. Watch out for the cast recording, because the score is great. You'll be blown away by the talent, makeup, costumes, sets, lighting, dancing (which was hilariously amazing), and just the entire production in general.

Just because it's a huge mega musical doesn't mean that it doesn't have heart. The entire story of Shrek is driven by heart, and this production really shows that. Behind that 24 million dollars is a huge heart with a great message, and a huge amount of fun.

Go see this show, you won't regret it. Here's hoping that it gives all of the other shows at the Tonys a run for their money. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
Updated On: 12/15/08 at 02:07 AM

Parks
#2re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:29am

Thank you for posting your review!! Glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to see it again and I hope the show has great success!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

bk
#2re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:53am

"Now, I grew up on Shrek."

So you're what, fifteen?

JudasIscariot
#3re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 3:00am

18, actually. I saw Shrek for the first time on my 11th birthday.

Thanks Parks, I hope the show is a success!

Updated On: 12/15/08 at 03:00 AM

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#4re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 4:47am

What a great review! Thanks for this! re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night I'm glad you liked it! I completly agree with everything! I saw it in it's thrid week of previews and I can't wait to go back!

Just wondering, was there any special speech before or after? And do you know which Young Fiona went on? It was Leah Greenhaus, wasn't it?

How lucky you are to have gone to the opening! re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night I really hope it will have a long run!

JudasIscariot
#5re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 4:56am

Thanks! It was Leah indeed, and she was very cute and good. There wasn't any special speech but the director and Tesori came on stage afterwards and bowed with the cast.

JudasIscariot
#6re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:20pm

Go see it!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:25pm

Where were your seats for lotto?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

JudasIscariot
#8re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:26pm

Orchestra row E to the left, seat 18. They were considered partial view, but I could see everything pretty well.

lightguy06222
#9re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:54pm

i knew you looked familiar from these boards! I was sitting next to you, and moved away at intermission. you should have come with! There were EIGHT open seats second row centre. pretty amazing.

lightguy06222
#10re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:55pm

i knew you looked familiar from these boards! I was sitting next to you, and moved away at intermission. you should have come with! There were EIGHT open seats second row centre. pretty amazing.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#11re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 7:23pm

Your making me regret choosing 'In The Heights' over 'Shrek' for a holiday present...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Nick Plasia
#12re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 7:38pm

Dude, every single review slammed the score.

You may be 18 and like it....but the consensus
is that it sucks.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#13re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 7:46pm

You just made me feel better about my decision.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

JudasIscariot
#14re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 8:16pm

Every single review? See, that's not true. Not every review slammed the score, and in fact, some liked it. I loved the score. The AP review is one that comes to mind that also liked it.

Wishing, ITH is a fantastic show. You'll love it. I sell merch. there, if you see me, feel free to say hello. re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night

WishingOnlyWounds2
#15re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 8:36pm

Ok, if I do, I'll say hi :]...
maybe you can answer this if your close to the show.

By any chance, do you know... Feb 17- will Lin be there still?

dacvingwolf
#16re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 9:28pm

how was the dragon?

BlueRoses321 Profile Photo
BlueRoses321
#17re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:31pm

the score is awesome.
i don't know what the reviewers were expecting..
if it were too hummable they would've called it dreck.
tesori's songs are beautiful, not always predictable, and very tuneful.
it's just right for what this show is.

the dragon was the only awkward moment in the show for me.
the puppet looked great..i just think that the number was poorly staged.

pli1018
#18re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:45pm

I don't think the score is horrendous per say but it's definitely flawed. I generally enjoyed it, but when paired with many of those poorly-written lyrics, many songs fell flat.

I still had a wonderful time at the show, though I don't think I'd see it again.

dacvingwolf
#19re: My Shrek Review: 12/14/08 Opening Night
Posted: 12/16/08 at 12:33am

was the dragon voiced by six girls??? And what did john do with the dragon exactly?

Videos