August Osage County 12/16

Ole Chum
#1August Osage County 12/16
Posted: 12/17/08 at 12:21am

Finally managed to grab the chance to see August tonight.

Was nervous about my TDF seats- 2nd row orchestra- but except for two scenes, we barely had to strain to see the third story. Wasnt too bad, though fron mezzanine is definitely the way to go

I really loved the play, though I feel as though thats obvious given the unanimous adoration. I wasnt bored for a second- though I did find some dialogue kinda awkward. It really is quite possibly one of the best plays Ive seen- maybe Doubt was as riveting. But yeah, the three hours FLIES by, the story never bores you... a masterpiece.

the supporting cast was fine, though not nearly as wonderful as the leads. i had no idea it was Guy Boyd's first night until I just came home and read about it. He was particularly great- as was frank wood. I was NOT at all impressed with Madeleine Martin or Samantha Ross, who both seemed very amateurish to me.

I wonder if the originating actors who played Amy and Ivy had more of an impact than Amy Warren and Dee Pelletier. Neither really grabbed me, though Dee was pretty good toward the end.

The other big disappointment, I thought, was Molly Regan as Mattie Fae. I found her simply irritating and exaggerated.

john cullum was captivating for his 15 minutes, and estelle parsons- i dont know how that woman has so much energy. im in my 20s and i dont have NEARLY as much in me. a marvel. i thought her early "stoned" scenes were a bit much- she was more than mildly incoherent. but by Act 2 she was outstanding- i kept seeing visions of Roseanne's mother on actual percocet. she gives 100%- fantastic.

but the REAL star of the evening, i thought, as Johanna Day. With all due respect to Ms Parsons, Day OWNS the show. I dont know if thats how Deanna Duggan and Amy Mortion played off each other- given Duggan's Tony win I am guessing not. But Parsons does not get to walk all over Day's Barbra- shes at once loving, funny, witty, bitchy, pathetic- i really cant remember the last time I was this wholly SOLD on a single performance, at least one as enormous and central as this one. she does seem to be somewhat exhausted- though this really works for her character, in a way. (noted: day is visibly worn from 8 shows a week. parsons looks like she could easily do another 2 or 3, easy.)

theater was 60% full- front mezz and center orchestra were packed but thats about it. regis philbin sat a few rows behind me.

RentBoy86
#2re: August Osage County 12/16
Posted: 12/17/08 at 12:50am

Any idea where the student tickets are located? I almost tried to rush this tonight, maybe I'll try tomm. I can't believe I've let it slip by for so long!

Ole Chum
#2re: August Osage County 12/16
Posted: 12/17/08 at 11:03am

No idea where student tickets are located- I am guessing the sides of the orchestra just because they were noticeably empty and Id imagine the house manager would want them filled.

but i think i had one of the crappier anlges to see the show- and it was more than fine.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3re: August Osage County 12/16
Posted: 12/17/08 at 11:26am

My friend had seen the show in previews and told me I should sit at leas 5 to 10 rows back so I could see the top floor of the house without craning my neck. I saw it last December and sat in row M on the right, third seat in. Perfect view. I know it has moved since then, but I suggest sitting at least 10 rows back.

Just give the world Love.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#4re: August Osage County 12/16
Posted: 12/17/08 at 3:11pm

I student rushed back in the month of August and was up in the mezzanine. Great seats, and a nice view! Glad you enjoyed the show!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

glitterandjazzhands Profile Photo
glitterandjazzhands
#5re: August Osage County 12/16
Posted: 12/17/08 at 4:52pm

How was Michael Milligan as Little Charles?

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#6re: August Osage County 12/16
Posted: 12/17/08 at 8:34pm

The rush seats are pretty much always in the rear of the mezzanine, but are quite good seats given the size of the set.

Videos