pixeltracker

Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?- Page 3

Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50re: Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:54am

wtf

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/20/14 at 02:54 AM

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#51re: Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?
Posted: 1/11/09 at 8:56am

I was under the impression that JudasIscariot's question was a joke.

laura is broadway Profile Photo
laura is broadway
#52re: Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?
Posted: 1/11/09 at 10:38am

I kinda hope it was..

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#54re: Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?
Posted: 1/20/14 at 3:00pm

were you mulling all that time?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#55re: Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?
Posted: 1/20/14 at 3:01pm

Five years later, we finally got closure.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#56re: Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?
Posted: 1/20/14 at 3:10pm

He mentioned that he liked the work Charlie Smalls did on the Wiz because he did sentimental so well. Sondheim felt sentimental was difficult to do. Because he did like Arlen, it's a safe bet that he appreciated the lyrics by Yip Harburg who did very sentimental lyrics in Somewhere Over the Rainbow and Finian's Rainbow.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#57re: Who are Stephen Sondheim's favorite composers?
Posted: 1/20/14 at 3:16pm

After the tragedy of Amelia Earhart, I thought it best not to let mysteries of this calibre go unsolved.