Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!

Londonskyguy
#1Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 1:13pm

I know that there have been countless Gypsy threads, and I in no way am trying to write a review. I just wanted to briefly express how moved I was by this wonderful performance. I saw the show last spring and loved it, but this performance was exceptional.

The electric chemistry shared by this entire cast is inspirational, and everyone was at the top of their game. I had heard that Laura had been sick, if she was , youd never know it.

Being a huge Patti fan perhaps I am biased, but I found her performance exceptional. I was kind of worried that being a wednesday matinee,that she may have held back a bit, but how wrong was I to worry about that. She really hit it right out of the park, and I was amazed how Roses Turn has evolved since I saw it last.

It was amazing to see the look on everyones faces, particulary Patti's during curtain call. You could feel the emotions that I suspect the cast is feeling knowing the show is closing on Sunday.

I will greatly miss this production , and feel so priveliged to have seen it. I am so sad they are not taping it. All the best to all involved in this great production.

Mythus
#2re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 5:36pm

My friend and I were at that same performance! It was amazing. Patti started crying during the "momma" part of Rose's Turn and just didn't stop. She received a full minute of applause and a standing ovation at the end of the number.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#2re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 5:52pm

GREAT review re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW! Thank you.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#3re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 5:58pm

I was at this performance, too. I was actually a little disappointed, although I may have idolized it a bit since I saw it first in previews.

I could tell Laura was sick during "Little Lamb," as she had a raspiness (aside from her playing her apprehensive character). It was still good, though, and I couldn't tell after that point.

Patti didn't seem quite as good as I remembered her being. Rose's Turn seemed a bit overacted this time, with more screams than notes at times. Stylistic choice, I guess, but I liked it a little better the first time I saw it and on the CD.

Still a great day at the theater and a great performance. I just wanted to add my view.

Mythus
#4re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 6:06pm

I could only tell Laura was sick because she coughed once. She seemed fine otherwise. Boyd Gaines started off his first line in "Small World" with a coughing fit so bad he could barely get his lines out, but he didn't seem too sick either.

Londonskyguy
#5re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 6:08pm

P.S. Sitting behind me, the wonderful Allan Cumming. I also saw that YouTube sensation Michael Burbach,(cute)!

During intermission I was standing near a lovely young lady who was telling a friend of hers on the phone that she was so excited because Patti kept looking at her ( she was sitting front row center). I later turned to her and said,"your the conducter". If youve seen the show you know what I mean. It was so wonderful to see such excitement on someones face.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#6re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 6:17pm

I saw it last night.

Still completely in awe. I'll need a few days before I can put it into words. If they're filming THIS is the time to do it.

I was on the Rush line with Michael Burbach. We were wearing the same jacket.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Mythus
#7re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 6:28pm

Alan Cumming was there? Agggggh.

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#8re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 7:02pm

I feel so lame for saying this, but I am honestly devastated that I wasn't able to see this show. It's my favorite, and I greatly admire Patti LuPone (well...I do now) and Laura Benanti. I HATE living in California.

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#9re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 7:14pm

I thought the show was taped already. I remember reading a thread on here that it was?

wonkit
#10re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 7:29pm

I was there, too. There was so much energy and so much emotion on stage throughout the performance. I had seen this at City Center, but that was only a pale shadow of what is on stage now. And a shout out for Tony Yazbeck, who I thought was super-fine in "All I Need is the Girl."

They aren't going to tape it - darn! The taping that was done was a stationary camera for Lincoln Center archives.

Broadwayfanatic2 Profile Photo
Broadwayfanatic2
#11re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 8:06pm

I saw the show the 21st of december and I left the show dumbfounded... this show is INTENSE!!!!!!! After the Act 2 finale you're just astounded at this horrific story that is so well done. I love the fact that this musical is theatre and not a "show", if you get what I mean.

The lead actors were all great, some members of the ensemble I found weak (but that's just my opinion) and I found it boring that the ensemble especially the female don't get to do much... but that's the way it's written.

Leigh Ann Larkin, Patti's Roses Turn and Laura's Little Lamb were all great.

Baby June's never-ending bowing is funny the second time she comes but after it gets annoying.

Overall I liked this show and I'm very glad to have seen it before it closes.

The CD from Barnes and Nobles has extra tracks that add so much to the cd. I have never enjoyed a broadway cast recording as much as Gyspy and to say I saw the original cast is a thrill.

Mythus
#12re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 9:17pm

That's the point, Broadwayfanatic, it's supposed to be repeated and annoying, but also funny.

I have to say, the strobe light effect never gets old. I love it so much. It was ruined slightly by the fact that I was sitting as far right as I could and I could see older June in the wings, getting ready to go on...but still. Love it.

FindingNamo
#13re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 9:27pm

"I have never enjoyed a broadway cast recording as much as Gyspy and to say I saw the original cast is a thrill."

Ethel Merman and Jack Klugman? Good for you!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Dollypop
#14re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 9:35pm

Name, stop being silly. Merman and Klugman were in a show called GYPSY. This person is talking about something called "Gyspy"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

FindingNamo
#15re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 9:46pm

My mistake. I hadn't noticed that. Good catch.

And might I add:

TONY YAZBECK RULES!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#16re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 10:38pm

please dont call me a stalker but i can tell when laura is sick because she doesnt cry during little lamb. i've seen it a crapload of times and wenever she was sick she didnt cry. i cried for her tho so its ok.

whyss it closingggggggg :'[

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#17re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 10:57pm

amazing all the queens who love this production.

dumb and dumber.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#18re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/8/09 at 11:57pm

if dumb people love this production i am by far the dumbest :]

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#19re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/9/09 at 12:03am

"please dont call me a stalker but i can tell when laura is sick because she doesnt cry during little lamb. i've seen it a crapload of times and wenever she was sick she didnt cry. i cried for her tho so its ok."

???
One of the times I saw the show when she wasn't sick and she still didn't cry during Little Lamb.

Broadway Baby 2
#20re: Gypsy Jan 7 matinee WOW!
Posted: 1/9/09 at 12:30am

FF**k YOU! FFLAG! This production of Gypsy should be the very standard that all Broadway shows must live up to.

Videos