Music in the Air Dress

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#25re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/7/09 at 1:09am

Tom, are you suggesting that one would have to ACTIVELY participate in this show and not just be hit over the head with it? One would have to pay attention to something to catch subtleties?

That's revolutionary!

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#26re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/7/09 at 10:42am

my friend and I went to see this last night and although I do agree that it was a little slow going at first, I thought the score was stunning. I'm really so impressed by Sierra Boggess' voice, and that's not something I ever expected to say. I'm trying to think of the right way to describe the show, though, because I think there is something unique and a little quirky about it (at least to modern audiences, I guess). I remember reading something comparing She Loves Me to bon bons (I believe), and No, No Nanette was compared to a souffle by Walter Bobbie...so I wanted to find a good food metaphor for Music in the Air.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/7/09 at 11:23am

re: Music in the Air Dress

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#28re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/7/09 at 7:16pm

I saw the matinee today. I don’t have much time now since I’m going out in like 5 min., but briefly…
I liked it. The story itself was a little dull for me at times (and it didn't help that the family behind me kept talking, ugh!), but the music is gorgeous. Sierra was adorable and has a lovely voice. I’m going to have “I’ve Told Every Little Star” stuck in my head for the rest of the night. Another standout is Douglas Sills. Above all, it was an honor for me to see Kristin Chenoweth perform. She was perfect.

After the show there was a talkback with some cast members and some members of the organization. I felt so lucky to listen to them talk and stuff.

Then I went to the stage door and about a minute later Kristin came out. She was sweet as can be.
It has always been a dream of mine to meet her. re: Music in the Air Dress

kate2
#29re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/7/09 at 7:19pm

Glad you got to meet Kristin, legally_popular! My friends and I, along with a few other people waited outside the stage door for her for an hour and either she exited another way, or was still in there when we left. I wanted an autograph, but there is no way I was waiting any longer than I did!

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#30re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/7/09 at 9:34pm

I also just got back from the matinee and talk back and I actually enjoyed the show. Taken for what it is, as Ed mentioned on the last page, it's a nice piece. It was extremely well cast, and Sills and Chenoweth certainly stole the show every time they were on. The thing that most impressed me was the score- it was simply stunning. That being said, I can certainly see why many people didn't like it- it's definitely not for everyone.

The talk back was quite interesting as well. And, to top it off, a woman who appeared in the original production as a child was in the audience and told a story about how a bear from the zoo scene grabbed Kern by the pant leg and pulled him to the ground (I can't believe they used a live bear on stage back then).

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#31re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/7/09 at 10:17pm

Sorry you missed her, kate2. I think she came out around 5pm. The show was over at about 4:30 and the talkback was like a half hour and she came right out a few minutes after that. I remember leaving the stage door around 5:15/5:20ish.

RentBoy86
#32re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/8/09 at 12:10am

I just got back from the Saturday night performance, and I thought it was pretty decent. The show itself isn't much, but the music/melodies are pretty and the performances were stellar. This was my first experience with Encores!, so I was a little confused about the cast carrying around black binders. Only one person really seemed to use it, so they seemed like pointless hassels, but I guess they come in handy for the occasional brain fart. I was way up in the Gallery, but I still had a decent view. I couldn't sell the back wall, but not much happened there anyways. And heck for $10 you can't beat it! Also, City Center is GORGEOUS!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#33re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/8/09 at 9:53am

I was there last night and it was gorgeous. This is exactly what Encores was created to do: take a show that might never again see a Broadway production and do it in concert (hence the black binders) with only a suggestion of set and costumes and choreography and allow the score to be seen and heard.

The songs and the underscoring are truly beautiful, unlike anything we'll ever hear again. And Bruce Pomahac's reconstruction of the Robert Russell Bennett was an angelic act.

Basically, Kern and Hammerstein wrote a Valentine to the operetta form. As silly as we may think operetta is now--and as innovative as we may think Oscar Hammerstein was--the truth is that he made his fame and fortune originally writing operetta after operette. He took the Viennese conventions and made them successful on Broadway. This one was his farewell to the form, but he actually kept on using it, surreptitiously, throughout the 1940s.

In fact, some of his most innovative musicals have operetta elements, particularly in their love scenes: Show Boat, Oklahoma, Carousel.

Kristin and Douglas Sills were pure delight, in roles very similar to the egotistic theaterfolk in Twentieth Century and Kiss Me Kate. She really is a consummate comedienne, on the level of a Lucille Ball or an Imogene Coca, and he manages to be handsome and goofy and the same, with a gorgeous voice.

It was a thrill to see Marni Nixon, especially when she took her high note at the end of "Egern on the Tegern See." Sierra Bogess and Ryan Silverman were as fine as the young lovers as you can be within the form...and when you've got Chenoweth and Sills mopping up the stage with you.

I remember reading something about Oscar Hammerstein saying it was his favorite of all his musicals. Now we know why.

If you haven't seen it and you love the musical, go today. But, please, don't go, for god's sake, if you're one of those whiners who's going to come back and say "The first 20 minutes was SO slow."

That's just not the point.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#34re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/8/09 at 11:21am

Full review to come, saw it Friday night but:

The stretch of time from Ms. Nixon's high note through the unending applause was one of the most magical experiences I've had in the theater. The audience wasn't electric that night, but she hit a nerve and the applause was exuberant and extended. It was an honor to see her perform.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Ed_Mottershead
#35re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/8/09 at 12:29pm

Just back in from the city and am still floating on the Music in the Air matinee I attended yesterday. It was tip-top from top to tip. EVERYONE was in gorgeous voice. I don't think anyone has mentioned Walter Charles as the birdcatcher -- he has only one song, but it's And Love Was Born and it's a beaut! As was his singing.

It was GREAT to see Chenowith not being cutesy all over the place -- she has a glorious voice, fully capable of projecting the prima donna requirements of the role. And where has Douglas Sills been recently? He was PERFECT as Bruno and when he picked up Kristin at the end of The Song is You and twirled her on the exit, it was WONDERFUL!!!!

The talk session was one of the best I've ever seen. The member of the original cast was Frances Tannahill -- I spoke with her at some length before the show, during intermission and afterwards. A delightful lady -- who also had some "wicked" stories to share about other people with whom she has worked through the years. Apparently, no one knew she was in the audience until the last minute and the whole cast seemed thrilled to see her. With good reason.

A very, very happy day in the theatre for me. Should I die the next second, it will be with the knowledge that I once again have had the privelege of reliving this terrific show. Please let the musical gods intervene and let this production be recorded!!!!!

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 2/15/09 at 12:29 PM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#36re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/8/09 at 4:09pm

This should be recorded for disc. I've been hoping all week to see an announcement that DRG would be recording it. They've done so many of the Encores! greats. I just keep thinking that if the Irving Berlin Estate could help to get the 2007 "Face the Music" recorded, the Hammerstein Estate could certainly help this piece finally get a proper cast recording. His Estate seems very involved and committed and if, as PalJoey points out, it really was his favorite of his works, I would hope they might get this recorded.

A major production of "Music in the Air" probably won't happen again and the vocals of this cast could not be topped. This is their shot.

It might be in vain, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#37re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/15/09 at 5:23pm

sadly, no announcement of a recording.

Did ANYONE record this?

Ed_Mottershead
#38re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/15/09 at 6:28pm

When I was talking to Frances Tannehill before the show, she seemed to indicate that it was NOT being recorded. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, however. If they saw fit to record the Ziefeld Follies of 1936 which wasn't an outstanding score anyway, there must be SOMEONE out there who'd be willing to take a chance.

BroadwayEd

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#39re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/15/09 at 7:22pm

Ed-

Thanks for your reply. I realize that economically, it doesn't make much sense, so I knew it was unlikely. I was somewhat hopeful, though, as there are several labels out there, plus the estates of the composer & lyricist, who are committed to preserving scores (especially ones as notable as "Music in the Air").

I would be interested to know if there are any "OTHER" recordings around...

Ed_Mottershead
#40re: Music in the Air Dress
Posted: 2/15/09 at 10:33pm

H. Higgins -- yes, there are two recordings out there, although neither one is very good. RCA had anticipated the 1951 revival of Music in the Air being a big hit and was preparing to cut a cast album. Well, it wasn't a hit and the production was not recorded. However, RCA tossed a bone at that production's Frieda, Jane Pickens, and a recording was made of highlights, with Pickens doing most of the vocals. It is in no ways complete, but it's there. For a long time it was a collector's item but Sepia re-rereleased it on CD, the balance of which is popular songs by Jane Pickens. I feel pretty sure you can get it through Amazon, if you're so inclined. The other was an AEI recording taken from a radio broadcast, which is a mixed bag, to say the least, but includes some bonus tracks of Mary Ellis (original London cast Frieda). It's on CD, but I don't know if it's still available.

Which brings me back to the main point -- this show DEMANDS a recording!!!!!

BroadwayEd