pixeltracker

Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion - Page 4

Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion

ARIELT
#75re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/15/09 at 9:16pm

"I've always been intrigued by why minorities - and yes this is totally generalizing - only go to shows that represent their distinct race."

Talk about an overgeneralization...MY GOSH!!!! Get a clue...look around you...there are plenty of minorities that see shows that are not all Black or all Latino...you're really being ridiculously inane...and if you're really so concerned about multicultural and multiethnic audiences, you might want to start writing some of your producers, directors and casting directors and asking THEM why they aren't casting Non-Traditionally more often...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#76re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/15/09 at 11:59pm

Don't you have a book to sell?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ARIELT
#77re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/16/09 at 2:29am

Why, Lizzie??? Don't you???

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#78re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/16/09 at 3:53am

Meh, maybe it's just where I live (L.A.) but I see a LOT of Hispanic and Asian audience members in most shows I attend. I will have to say I don't see many Black audience members, unless it's The Color Purple, or something. But that's just MY experience.

It also depends on the show. Generally, if it's Phantom, Saigon, or Les Mis, or some other big musical, the audience is completely mixed.

I'm Hispanic and I've never been interested in or limit myself to seeing shows featuring Hispanic themes or characters more than those that don't. I just love theatre, regardless. I think it's safe to say that those who ONLY attend shows featuring people of their own backgrounds probably don't really care much for theatre in the first place.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.
Updated On: 4/16/09 at 03:53 AM

Nattalyee Profile Photo
Nattalyee
#79re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/16/09 at 4:43pm

I didnt read this whole thread. I just read the initial statement and I think that there alot of black people who attend theatre shows. I'll be the first to admit we may not be at all the shows but we are there. You also have to realize white people make up about 70% of America. So you won't be seeing that many races all the time at every show. I also think when we start color blind casting shows a little better, more people will come. I dont mean shows like The Color Purple or Miss Saigon, but WICKED, Guys and Dolls, Billy Elliot, etc.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#80re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/24/09 at 4:42am

Just thought I would update you. I am almost finished transcribing the interview I spoke about earlier in the thread. I hope to have it finished and up today. I think it went quite well and it quite raw and honest. Because of the content, and a lot of cross talking, it took me a while.

Just give the world Love.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#81re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/26/09 at 7:20pm

It's up. It is on the front page and here is the link.

https://denver.broadwayworld.com/article/In_Conversation_The_Cast_of_Radio_Golf_at_the_Denver_Center_20090426

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#82re: Minorities and the Theatre: A Discussion
Posted: 4/27/09 at 5:14am

Bumpin' it. I see people have looked in on this thread. Would love some feedback. Especially from the people who contributed to this thread.