pixeltracker

REVIEW: The Philanthropist & God of Carnage

REVIEW: The Philanthropist & God of Carnage

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1REVIEW: The Philanthropist & God of Carnage
Posted: 4/10/09 at 10:55pm

THE PHILANTHROPIST (public dress):

I had an offer to attend the public dress rehearsal last night of Christopher Hampton's play THE RECEPTIONIST, starring Matthew Broderick. Man. I'd say "What a night" in the sense that it was so bad, but I enjoyed myself so little that I can't even say that.

There are three very blatant problems with this show: 1) The play itself is atrocious, having characters talk and talk and talk and yet say... nothing of importance; 2) David Grindley has taken what seems, on paper, to be a farce and directed it like a drawing room comedy, thus sucking what little life there is out of it; and 3) WHAT'S THE POINT?!? There is NO POINT to it whatsoever. I cannot blame the actors for what has transpired, as they are visibly trying very hard to do their best, but it is to no avail. This show is boring, lifeless, draggy, and just all-around awful. From the first scene (which is very intriguing; wish it wasn't so effing boring to watch), it is apparent that the production has no idea what it wants to be or where it's going.

The set has no purpose (unless there were pieces missing; it was the second to last dress after all) and things are there just to be there. Things like a wheeling ladder (never used), a giant bookshelf full of books (never used), a radio (never used), and a box of chocolates (used once and never moved from the same spot despite the passage of days). Also, there's a strange, semi-chicness to parts of it. Like the reflective walls and blue lighting from behind them and from the outline of the floor. What's the purpose? The lighting is too bright at times. I can't tell why. Just the intensity, I suppose. I had to squint a few times.

Just... a bad show. A bad, bad, bad show. Bad.

---------------------------------------
GOD OF CARNAGE:

On the opposite end of my theatrical spectrum the past couple days, I had the IMMENSE pleasure of attending Yazmena Reza's remarkable GOD OF CARNAGE, coincidentally adapted by Christopher Hampton. I had a standing room ticket and was mildly annoyed by the couple next to me who could not stand still for two seconds and kept moving the wall (it's not built very sturdy). Besides that minor annoyance, I had an exceptional night at the Jacobs Theater.

These four actors are tearing the Jacobs stage to absolute shreds, leaving their characters in ruin and the audience in awe. I was absolutely captivated from beginning to end. This is due, of course, to the spectacular acting abilities of the quartet. Hope Davis surprised me the most, as I've heard the least praise about her. Nothing bad. It just seems as if she's forgotten a little bit. How hard it must be to rise above the sight gag of projectile vomiting, but she certainly does. When this woman lets loose, she is a sight. Jeff Daniels is the perfect portrait of a man obsessed with his work. I have a few of those in my family and Jeff does a better job of playing that part than even they do. The sarcasm and the douchbaggery that escapes his mouth makes you want to choke him, and yet he comes out the most behaved of the four. It's the mark of a great actor to be able to achieve that kind of shading in a character. James Gandolfini makes a great departure from the signature Tony Soprano character. Are there traces of Tony? You might think so. But I think that's just James coming through. His neanderthal tendencies are so over-the-top and hysterical that you can't help but laugh at even the movement of his head. He has the character down to a tee. Of course, the standout of the night for me was Marcia Gay Harden. Beginning as a reserved, politically aware, thoughtful woman, her descent into absolute madness and chaos is both shocking and wonderful. Everyone loves seeing a seemingly docile woman go absolutely raving mad. It's like watching Martha Stewart turn apesh*t. A remarkable performance among already remarkable performances by an actress who never ceases to be incredible. Her final monologue, while very funny, is also heartbreaking and tragic and it's then that she shines the brightest.

The set is perfect. I loved the slow shift from bright, blood red to dark, brooding violet from beginning to end. It was a subtle and interesting choice. The cracked wall also adds a nice touch of savagery to the proceedings (not that any more was needed). The direction is flawless. It is a great testament to Matthew Warchus' abilities that he can take absolutely absurd situations and make them feel so natural (as seen in BOEING last season and GOC now). There are no extraneous movements or anything that looks or feels unnatural in his direction. It is all very fluid even when the situation is not. But what I loved most about this play is just that: the play. Many seem to feel like it's the actors that carry the show, but the play itself is just brilliant. Funny, controversial, shocking, and probing, it's the VIRGINIA WOOLF? for our time. Perhaps not QUITE as deep, but certainly just as good an examination of polite society gone awry.

NYUrickydrummer
#2re: REVIEW: The Philanthropist & God of Carnage
Posted: 4/11/09 at 12:25am

We were at the same performance of each of these shows (I recognize you from the SR line!).

I don't want to comment on Phil, because it was still a dress rehearsal, and I don't wish the show any ill will, but I agree for the most part about Carnage. The past times I saw Carnage, I LOVED it (I also saw it twice in London and once in Paris), though, and this was the first time I began to realize that the play isn't QUITE as good as the performers (it's really a showcase for actors). I don't know that it's the Virginia Woolf of our time, though it's very enjoyable. What I noticed most this time, being further back than I was last time, was the wonderful lighting in the final scene -- the way the throbbing red darkens into a dull purple, almost like a bruise, as the final tableaux fades to black.

RentBoy86
#2re: REVIEW: The Philanthropist & God of Carnage
Posted: 4/11/09 at 1:52am

Was standing room tough to get?

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#3re: REVIEW: The Philanthropist & God of Carnage
Posted: 4/11/09 at 1:58am

SR is usually fine if you get there a 2.5 hours before (if not less) -- they release them 2 hours before.

Glad you loved GOD OF CARNAGE!

Videos