pixeltracker

North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good- Page 2

North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#25re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/17/09 at 12:59pm

I contacted my card in Feb. NSMT sent them a curt response insisting that 1) there are no refunds and 2)"A 2009 season WILL be produced", so what the heck was I complaining about?? Apparently there are time limits, etc., but my card is still working on it, I believe, as best they can.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#26re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/17/09 at 4:19pm

http://www.salemnews.com/punews/local_story_167222952.html

A lot of very interesting comments at the bottom of this article.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#27re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/17/09 at 4:57pm

The comments at the end of the Salem News article unfortunately reflect what the NSMT management's reputation has been for many years. After the fire a few years back, which cost millions and shut the place down for a while, there was so much talk about what management was paid for "mismanaging" the theatre's finances while crying poverty. Also, even with a smattering of fine shows ("25th Annual Spelling Bee" being one), NSMT could not stem its growing reputation for presenting sub-par productions. The "new direction" taken a couple of years back turned out to be just one more managerial bungle that sent the place right down the drain.

This doesn't tarnish NSMT's place in N.E. theater lore because it's been a phenomenal organization for most of its history. It's just sad that a handful of financial bunglers were able to systemmatically sink it. Everyone's loss.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#28re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/18/09 at 9:50pm

They're being investigated by the state now, for possible fraud. Apparently they may not have had any intention of producing a season, even while they were still taking deposits for subscriptions.
NSMT investigated

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#29re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/18/09 at 10:29pm

I think this will be happening more and more. Buffalo lost its regional theatre, The Studio Arena, in a similar situation. Also, why would anyone bail out an organization that could not balance its book to begin with. It's not going to happen.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#30re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/18/09 at 11:19pm

The Christmas Carol/HSM2 switch may have been the last nail in their coffin. It was a stupid, stupid move.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

FindingNamo
#31re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/18/09 at 11:29pm

Hindsight is 20/10.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

joanntom
#32re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 6/19/09 at 1:26am

hello people! Jons successor did zillion dollar musicals with huge budgets, cut out the no royalty, all profit xmas show,and spent it all with no concept of a $. Its sad

Flaunt It
#33re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 7/15/09 at 8:14am

I am no fan of Barry Ivan, but the fact is his first/last season was done on a very tight and much smaller budget than previous years.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL was NOT "no royalty" .. upon his departure from NSMT, Jon Kimbell was contracted to receive a nice chunk of change every year for allowing them to do A CHRISTMAS CAROL.

There are so many rumors out there about how this all went down, but the truth is much sadder... and much more juicy!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#34re: North Shore Music Theatre Closed For Good
Posted: 7/15/09 at 1:21pm

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/puopinion/local_story_193222531.html?keyword=topstory

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt