Cast album sales

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Cast album sales
Posted: 6/30/09 at 2:53am

It is 'often said' that Cast Albums don't make much if any money, though does anyone actually have an idea of the kind of sales cast albums achieve?

I suppose it's a very vague question since the sales of the Wicked OBC vs Pacific Overtures revival for example would differ SO much,

but since I don't think people will have an idea of everything - any information anyone has of anything would be insightful :).

thanks

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: Cast album sales
Posted: 6/30/09 at 4:39am

Actually, there are a few people here who probably have all the numbers.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#2re: Cast album sales
Posted: 6/30/09 at 5:37am

The cast recording for Phantom of the Opera is one of the top 10 best selling album of all time with 40 million sales!

Sh-K-Kate Profile Photo
Sh-K-Kate
#3re: Cast album sales
Posted: 6/30/09 at 11:15am

I don't have the numbers, but this article partially explains why it is so difficult for Cast Recordings to make money:

"With the expense of producing a cast album so exorbitant -- a big show can cost as much as $400,000 to record these days"

Oh yeah - that and piracy. (sad crying face)

(Though obviously Phantom and Wicked have done fine for themselves.)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-broadway-albums12-2009jun12,0,2987252.story

*** To learn more and purchase your favorite CDs visit www.sh-k-boom.com

*** Check out http://shkbuzz.wordpress.com/ for the latest news on what the Sh-K-Artists & shows have been up to... concerts, interviews CD signings and more!

*** To find out which incredibly famous Broadway stars have stopped by the office today and how loud the sirens are outside my window follow us on Twitter @ShKBoom

Videos