News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

3 nights. 6 shows.

PriscillaN2N
#13 nights. 6 shows.
Posted: 10/20/24 at 8:27pm

Hi BroadwayWorld! 

Heading to NYC next month for my annual trip. 3 nights, 6 shows. I'm doing a 3 show day on the Sunday with Oh, Mary! - the only show I’ve pre-booked. 

I lurk the individual show threads to help inform my choices but would appreciate any input to narrow down my list or put other shows on my radar.  

Shows I’ve loved on my recent trips include Here We Are, Hell’s Kitchen, A Strange Loop, The Prom, Kimberly Akimbo, Appropriate and Downstate at Playwrights (so glad I checked this one out after it was suggested by someone here). The only shows I didn’t care for on my last trip were Shucked and How to Dance in Ohio.

I’m pretty locked on Gypsy and Sunset Boulevard. I’m in my 20s and have never seen a production of either. 

That leaves me with three more slots: 

Teeth - this sounds really kooky and up my alley 

Stereophonic - this was a lock for me before I started reading about the current cast. Is it really in that rough of shape to skip? 

The Roommate - Am I too caught up in seeing Mia and Patti or should I check this out? 

Tammy Faye - I keep going back and forth with this one mainly because I love Tammy Faye and am interested in her story

Death Becomes Her - love this movie.. maybe I’m putting this too low on here?

Jarethan
#23 nights. 6 shows.
Posted: 10/20/24 at 8:36pm

Not having seen the original cast of Stereophonic, I can only say that I thought the current cast was excellent .  Do t let that discourage you.

My wife and I went to The Outsiders with my son and daughter-in-law this past Thursday.  All four of us loved it…they are in their late 20s.  It was both entertaining and heart-rending, and the lead — who was an understudy — was outstanding.  Serious consider this one.

Ensemble1728379893
#33 nights. 6 shows.
Posted: 10/20/24 at 8:46pm

I would skip The Roommate.  It is really not worth it if you only have one more slot.   Stereophonic is very good. 

ScottK
#43 nights. 6 shows.
Posted: 10/21/24 at 12:11am

I was NOT a fan of Stereophonic--skip it--it's a long slog about nothing.  Do NOT miss The Roommate.  The play is not much, but you do get to see Patti AND MIA!!! You seem to WANT to see it--then SEE IT! You prob wont ever have the chance to see Mia again. If you are looking for a play, try HILLS OF CALIFORNIA--it's tough, but a terrific lead performance--and the rest are very very good. Go see SUFFS--it's an "admirable" show.  That doesnt sound like praise, but it is! Beautiful voices emanating from the stage. For a fun show, & Juliet. And, if you want to make this a trip of theatre "divas"--go to Once Upon a Mattress to see Sutton, (if you've never seen her) in an OK revival (personally, I was disappointed). Just go to the shows that you WANT to see--and not "should" see.

gibsons2
#53 nights. 6 shows.
Posted: 10/21/24 at 10:01am

ScottK said: "I was NOT a fan of Stereophonic--skip it--it's a long slog about nothing. Do NOT miss The Roommate. The play is not much, but you do get to seePatti AND MIA!!! You seem to WANT to see it--then SEE IT! You prob wont ever have the chance to see Mia again. If you are looking for a play, try HILLS OF CALIFORNIA--it's tough, but a terrific lead performance--and the rest are very very good. Go see SUFFS--it's an "admirable" show. That doesnt sound like praise, but it is! Beautiful voices emanating from the stage. For a fun show, & Juliet. And, if you want to make this a trip of theatre "divas"--go to Once Upon a Mattress to see Sutton, (if you've never seen her)in an OK revival (personally, I was disappointed). Just go to the shows that you WANT to see--and not "should" see."

Another vote for Hills of California. It's the most rich, exquisite show that's playing on Broadway at the moment. It's not to be missed. If you're willing to observe people do mostly nothing on stage for 3 hours and listen to pregnant pauses that could cut 30-40 minutes off that play, see Stereophonic. Recommend Suffs as well. 

yyys
#63 nights. 6 shows.
Posted: 10/21/24 at 2:47pm

Maybe Happy Ending instead of The Roommate.

Stereophonic without Sarah Pidgeon - forget it......

Updated On: 10/21/24 at 02:47 PM

Videos