News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Autumn 2024 London

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#25Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 9/23/24 at 7:40pm

yyys said: "Dr. Strangelove in anyone's list?"

Yup! Seeing second week of previews!

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#26Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 10/15/24 at 11:18am

Icke’s production of Oedipus is one of the best translations of a classical play that I’ve ever seen! Strong and Manville are unsurprisingly both stellar, but the overall cohesiveness of the production is the real draw.  Riveting throughout, those two hours somehow flew by faster than the Tennant Macbeth. I can’t see a world where this doesn’t transfer, at the very least a run at BAM but I think this could support a limited engagement on Broadway. The two would be quick forerunners for best actor and actress Tony awards. 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#27Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 10/16/24 at 7:06pm

Giant is one of the best thought plays I’ve seen in a very long time. Even more than Oedipus, this was made to come to New York next season, and just maybe sooner with Lithgow securing a Tony.

I really can’t recall last seeing a meaningful play about ideas, positions, and counterpoints.  Namely, one (very notable) man’s response to what he views as genocidal killing and how that view is considered by others (to wit, the world) as antisemitic. This is a gross oversimplification, but gets you to the general premise.

There was a lot of uncomfortable laughs (but even more belly laughs) in my performance. A lot of young people near me demonstrated clear frustration with Dahl’s position, despite their clear support of his (presumed) underlying cause. I was compelled to question my own positions on the subject and how I’ve arrived there.  While there is a bit of a mic-drop moment at the end that would seem to clarify a stated position, I’d argue that was mostly for dramatic effect to conclude the play. During the previous 2 plus hours (which flew by), the discourse was mostly about how each character arrived at their current position, and perhaps how unmovable that position is. 

If I were in London one more day I would find my way back to this show: it was that engaging. I’ll have to settle with the script to read heading back to the states.  

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#28Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 10/17/24 at 2:36am

Oedipus and The Fear of 13 with Adrien Brody were the best I saw.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos