News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Play Esq.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Member Name: Play Esq.
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Peter Dinklage, Lupita Nypng'o, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sandra Oh to star in Shakespeare in the Park's TWELFTH NIGHT
 Jul 25 2024, 06:12:14 PM

Holy ****! This is a cast that reminds me of some of the great starry casts of yore (in particular, the last production of Twelfth Night)  

Incredibly smart to announce early: it gets donors who haven’t been around much these past couple of years (…myself included) to get in line early for confirmed tickets next summer. 

Nick Jonas and Adrienne Warren to star in THE LAST FIVE YEARS Broadway Revival
 Jul 21 2024, 03:28:38 PM

Sauja said: "Do you know when Streetcar was rumored for the Hudson? This is a 14 week run, per the email, so…there wouldn’t be time to get Streetcar in this season, but it could still be coming next summer maybe?"

Wait what…the Mescal Streetcar?

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jul 20 2024, 01:27:48 PM

Couldn’t agree with you more about the lizard song. How that survived night one is beyond me. I gather they’re going for a “Little Lamb” song, but it doesn’t work. 

Having said that, let’s give Kristen a “Rose’s Turn”! That finale is so underwhelming.

Jul 20 2024, 10:16:46 AM

The show simply drops anytime either daughter is on stage. They are doing the best that they can, but their songs are dull and nothing in the book aids in character development. 

Also, the framing device is entirely unnecessary. The audience can grasp the Louis XIV analogy without repeatedly being bit hit over the head with it. 

Removing or limiting either of those two elements could easily cut down the show by 15-20 minutes (last night got out just around 11).&nb

Jul 20 2024, 12:43:57 AM

There is a very good musical here, more akin to Jason Robert Brown (…and maybe a little Sondheim), but a hatchet needs to be brought down significantly. 

That said: Kristin is giving the best performance of her career. She deserves a better closing number. 

City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
 Jul 9 2024, 08:54:40 PM

Kad said: "Broadway Flash said: "Who chooses what goes into the ATG theatres? Is it Jordan Roth? I understand they don’t own the Hudson either, I’m wandering who’s getting the cash"

The Hudson is owned by Millennium Hotels and operated by ATG. What do you mean “who’s getting the cash”? It’s the same as any other Broadway house.
"

…you knew better Kad, than to feed the troll.

Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 09:32:18 AM

I really wish the David Cromer production out of Chicago had a longer life. I’ve seen three productions and that was certainly my favorite. 

West End's Last 5 Years?
 Jun 30 2024, 04:43:34 PM

Saw it and thought it was entirely underwhelming.  Was there most for Banks who delivered a vocally enjoyable performance, but acting was all of the place. Bailey was fine but mostly not memorable, despite his good looks. This was also not many years after the 2nd Stage production (which I loved…): It felt cheap by comparison. 

As an aside: was this technically West End? I distinctly remember this being near a more southern portion of the palace in what fel

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
 Jun 28 2024, 10:14:27 AM

bway1430 said: "Broadway Flash said: "Oh yes I mixing upoperation mincemeat with standing at the sky’s edge. The two British musicals people talk highly about"

Yes, sadly they do. I thought both works were dreadful and amateurish but thats just my .02.
"

…glad I’m not the only one. 

Ragtime at City Centers
 Jun 27 2024, 04:26:25 PM

^ You’re correct. Her direction of Into the Woods was astounding, especially for a piece that was originally designed for a couple of weeks. 

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
 Jun 26 2024, 06:18:17 PM

IdinaBellFoster said: "I love Rannells but this feels like an upgrade."

Came on here just I say that and couldn’t agree more. Rannells is adorable AF, and a formidable actor, but Borle is remarkable in everything he does.  I had no interest in this show until now. 

Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
 Jun 24 2024, 07:59:42 PM

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Have to say I really miss the time when we got at least one Metcalf play every season. Guess no one is willing to mount these seemingly less profitable productions at such a pace after Scott Rudin went down."

This. I’m still praying for Metcalf’s Martha, even more than an Osage production with her as Barbara. 

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 22 2024, 07:32:59 AM

binau said: "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I take being a theatre snob / sondheim lover as a compliment not an insult?"

Same. 

Ian McKellen hospitalized after accident during performance of PLAYER KINGS
 Jun 20 2024, 02:24:59 PM

I hope he’s able to make a return soon, I believe this was scheduled to tour after the West End.  Remarkable performances all around, but Ian made me completely forget the brilliant Falstaff of Kevin Kline. 

Spring awakening is cooked
 Jun 19 2024, 05:09:59 PM

I have never responded to “Broadway Flash” but I have made the mistake of responding to previous iterations of “Broadway Flash.” I make this request to everyone else: stop feeding the trolls. Every comment to their posts (including mine, I’ll concede, but it will be my last) just gives them a little more life.  

This place has gotten so toxic with ad hominem attacks on the reg. Feeding these people only makes it worse. 

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 17 2024, 02:28:09 PM

I’m sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it, but is there any talk about a Merrily transfer to London?  Watching the performance again and really wanting to see this a third time. 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 10:45:28 AM

I wonder how much the last Merrily shows are going to go for. Top price is currently 600, but I think those are going to get more expensive soon. 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 09:13:53 PM

So when is Merrily booked for London and when?

“N/A” at Lincoln Center Theater - Mitzi E. Newhouse
 Jun 12 2024, 09:11:36 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I assume it's a double meaning but my dumb ass also didn't make the connection of Nancy/Alexandria until I wrote that quip."

Well…to be a pedant, the quip also didn’t make much sense. Wouldn’t a play titled “N/A” have a N-named lead character and not “Fancy Felosi”?

🤷🏽‍♂️

FLOYD COLLINS to be given Broadway revival by Lincoln Center
 Jun 10 2024, 01:08:24 PM

As a fund-raiser in December, the theater is planning a one-night reunion concert of its Tony-winning 2008 revival of “South Pacific.”

Holy ****!!! Anyone have any further intel on this, specifically a date?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You