News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Autumn 2024 London

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#1Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/17/24 at 5:51pm

Headed to London in the fall, but thought I'd create a broader thread for what's happening in the coming season. 

I'm personally looking forward to and booking Look Back in Anger (Almeida), Oedipus (with Strong and Manville), Juno and the Paycock (Rylance), Giant at the Royal, and doing what I can do get into the Tennant Macbeth.  The Real Thing also looks promising as does Dr Strangelove.

Interested to hear what people are looking forward to in the fall!

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#2Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/17/24 at 10:41pm

The Duchess of Malfi, with Jodie Whittaker at the Whitehall, from October

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/17/24 at 11:01pm

One thing I can’t wait for is “A Face In the Crowd” with Ramin at the Young Vic. 

JasonC3
#4Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/18/24 at 2:27am

On my schedule for an October trip are:

Oedipus
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
A Face in the Crowd
The Lehman Trilogy
Juno & the Paycock
I Am Harvey Milk (concert performance)
Waiting for Godot
The Real Thing

A bit more play-heavy than I normally book. Updated On: 8/18/24 at 02:27 AM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#5Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/18/24 at 3:17am

What I look forward to the most is The Invention of Love at Hampstead, starting in early Dec 

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#6Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/18/24 at 6:00am

The Importance of Being Ernest at the National with Sharon D Clarke and Ncuti Gatwa

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#7Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/18/24 at 7:14am

Thinking of maybe a Christmas trip and looking at

Oedipus

Oliver!

The Importance Of Being Ernest

Natasha, Pierre and The Comet of 1812

***eagerly awaiting Almedia Theatre to announce their Dec show

Updated On: 8/18/24 at 07:14 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#8Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/18/24 at 7:34am

Not autumn, but I’ll be there in late January and have tickets to:

• The Importance of Being Earnest, National
  • Oedipus, Old Vic
  • The Little Foxes, Young Vic
  • The Great Comet, Donmar

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#9Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/18/24 at 10:26am

Jordan Catalano said: "One thing I can’t wait for is “A Face In the Crowd” with Ramin at the Young Vic."

I am thrilled to have my ticket for this world premier...while in London this Sept...i am also seeing NEXT TO NORMAL...sounds like a great trip!!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#10Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/18/24 at 10:26am

I'm moving to London in September for Grad School and already have a couple of shows lined up.

Booked

• Next to Normal
  • Hello, Dolly!
  • Macbeth (w/ David Tennant)

Looking to Book

• A Face in the Crowd
  • Shifters
  • Great Comet (gonna join the cancelation list for tix)
  • Stranger Things
  • Oedipus (Old Vic)
  • Oliver!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

inception Profile Photo
inception
#11Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/20/24 at 6:10pm

How far ahead are shows in London announced? What's the best place to find listings?  Thinking about a trip to London/Paris/Amsterdam around Easter.  

I've already purchased tickets for one of the Philharmonie de Paris's concert productions of the French premiere of Gypsy starring Natalie Dessay.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#12Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/20/24 at 6:47pm

ABBA Voyage runs 8 times a week, I count that as a West End show. Worth considering for the visual spectacle.

Juno and the Paycock. Why are people excited by this production? There was an authentically Irish production directed by a Tony winner in New York only last year, and nobody here seemed to care. Critically acclaimed, arguably a definitive version unlikely to be equalled. I think I was the only one who posted about it. What makes this different?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

JasonC3
#13Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/20/24 at 6:50pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Juno and the Paycock. Why are people excited by this production? There was an authentically Irish production directed by a Tony winner in New York only last year, and nobody here seemed to care. Critically acclaimed, arguably a definitive version unlikely to be equalled. I think I was the only one who posted about it. What makes this different?"

I imagine Mark Rylance and J. Smith Cameron have something to do with the increased interest.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#14Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/20/24 at 7:25pm

That's understandable, I guess. Talent. Celebrity.

Still, for fans of the actual play, I do thiink the Druid p roduction would be the more interesting.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Dylan Smith4
#15Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/21/24 at 8:32am

inception said: "How far ahead are shows in London announced? What's the best place to find listings? Thinking about a trip to London/Paris/Amsterdam around Easter.

I've already purchased tickets for one of the Philharmonie de Paris's concert productions of the French premiere of Gypsy starring Natalie Dessay.
"

Not a lot of shows have been announced for the Spring just yet. I’d say in a couple months, we’ll start to see some announcements. Probably the one most are talking about is Richard II at the Bridge Theatre with Jonathan Bailey. Looking forward to that. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#16Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/21/24 at 8:40am

Adding to what Dylan said, I’ve used Whatsonstage.com for years (…really miss their “goss” section) and recently started using Londontheater.co.uk for theater listings. 

Very jealous about Gypsy with Dessay! While completely outside of her previous fach, she’s been doing some really interesting projects since she left opera (full staged opera productions, anyway). 

Updated On: 8/21/24 at 08:40 AM

yyys
#17Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/21/24 at 9:54am

Dr. Strangelove in anyone's list?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#18Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/21/24 at 10:08am

Thanks Dylan for the heads up about Jonathan Bailey in Richard ll.  During my dates Cymbeline is scheduled at Sam Wanamaker Playhouse.  Both are plays I don't really know.

As well in April '25 Aigul Akhmetshina is doing Carmen in London again. I watched her Met Broadcast, and she is dynamic, but not sure I need to see her in person in that.  I've seen Carmen many times.

Dylan Smith4
#19Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 8/21/24 at 12:29pm

yyys said: "Dr. Strangelove in anyone's list?"

Looks intriguing. Definitely will check it out! I like shows with political themes. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#20Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 9/22/24 at 3:27pm

Face In the Crowd reviews are out...ouch.  Looks like a show with a lot of promise, but it's going to take some time to get to where it wants to be.

Owen22
#21Autumn 2024 London
Posted: 9/22/24 at 5:02pm

Play Esq. said: "Face In the Crowd reviewsare out...ouch. Looks like a show with a lot of promise, but it's going to take some time to get to where it wants to be."

There is a good show in there someplace with a very nice score but it's abysmally directed with probably a miscast leading lady. Ramin is doing the best work of his career but he can't save that second act.

Videos