News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:16pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 3/13/2016 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: SHE LOVES ME (16.9%), KINKY BOOTS (15.5%), SCHOOL OF ROCK (15.4%), THE KING AND I (14.9%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (14.6%), LES MISÉRABLES (13.3%), CHICAGO (12.9%), WICKED (12.7%), BLACKBIRD (11.7%), MATILDA (10.2%), FUN HOME (9.4%), BEAUTIFUL (8.6%), JERSEY BOYS (7.9%), AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (7.8%), BRIGHT STAR (7.7%), THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (7.6%), THE CRUCIBLE (7.6%), ALADDIN (6.2%), FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (5.9%), SOMETHING ROTTEN! (5.2%), THE HUMANS (4.9%), HUGHIE (2.9%), ON YOUR FEET! (2.0%), THE COLOR PURPLE (1.6%), NOISES OFF (1.2%), FINDING NEVERLAND (1.0%), THE LION KING (1.0%), HAMILTON (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: DISASTER! (-10.0%), ECLIPSED (-5.6%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:22pm

Is Disaster! actually going to make it to July?

neonlightsxo
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:23pm

At what point does Disaster pack it in here?

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:26pm

I hope Bright Star picks up. I really wanted to see it the next time I'm in the city, and that might not be until May.

neonlightsxo
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:46pm

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Bright Star will hold on through the Tony nominations, but it depends how much money they have in reserve...which I suspect is not a lot.

BroadwayConcierge
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:54pm

Any thoughts that Bright Star might be this season's Gigi, financially? Came from the Kennedy Center with high hopes (granted, Bright Star has certainly received warmer reception than Gigi), will maybe pick up a couple of Tony nods, likely not receive any statues, and close by mid-to-late June? I hate to be so pessimistic, but that's the trajectory I foresee.  

neonlightsxo
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:56pm

"Bright Star has certainly received warmer reception than Gigi), "

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:58pm

Bright Star absolutely is being better received than Gigi. Gigi was an unbearable bore, and people, including myself, loved Bright Star.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 3:58pm

Pleasantly surprised to see The Humans doing as well as it is. I think this is an example of how you need both good reviews AND good word of mouth to keep a show buzzing. Word of mouth on Bright Star seems to be good (though perhaps not passionate) and I hope the reviews will be supportive.  I don't think the reviews will help Disaster much; the word of mouth just isn't good.  

GIGI was a very expensive show to mount and run. I would think Bright Star at least has a lower weekly operating cost....

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/14/16 at 03:58 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:01pm

Chicago showed some significant improvement.  I'm surprised that Phantom's percentages are what they are.  If I was in NYC, I think I would go see "Disaster"...because I grew up in the 1970's.  It's sad that the show is struggling so much.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:04pm

I think perhaps because ticket costs are what they are, audiences are just more discriminating of what they will pay to see on Broadway.  Even if it's "your thing"-- Disaster- and all the reviews indicate this too -- is a fringe Off Broadway kind of entertainment. I would imagine very few people are excited to pay 145 dollars to see it. It's a fish out of water on Broadway. They definitely should have just gone to New World Stages.

Updated On: 3/14/16 at 04:04 PM

neonlightsxo
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:05pm

Clearly we run in different social circles, re: the perception of Bright Star, but OK.

VintageSnarker
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:06pm

Woo! Some nice closing numbers for Noises Off. 

I wonder how long this revival of The King and I will make it. I'm considering a return trip.

Poor Disaster. I'm going to try to see it this week.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:07pm

How much of disasters marketing mention its a 70s spoof?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:09pm

VotePeron said: "Bright Star absolutely is being better received than Gigi. Gigi was an unbearable bore, and people, including myself, loved Bright Star.

"

I'll drink to that. I didn't adore Bright Star but it's sincere, sweet, and entertaining. None of those applied to Gigi, which I had already forgotten. 

Glad to see so many shows up this week. Spring is springing. 

BroadwayConcierge
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:17pm

neonlightsxo, I certainly don't believe that Bright Star has received unanimous acclaim (for example, I am one in the camp who did not care for it), but I do think it's rather safe to say it's getting, at the very least, slightly more positive buzz than Gigi, which I recall was distinctly negative.

Updated On: 3/14/16 at 04:17 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:23pm

Gigi was not well received but it had a single producer behind it (extremely rare in this day and age) with deep pockets who kept it open longer than most would have. 

I do do wonder if Steve Martin would hop into the show- even in the band - to help ticket sales of it got to that. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:47pm

There's really only three roles Steve Martin would be appropriate for in Bright Star; one is essentially the villain, and all three are very minor. I doubt he'd do the show for what would be a glorified cameo.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BroadwayConcierge
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:50pm

Steve Martin in Carmen Cusack's role? I could see it.

JM226
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:53pm

little_sally said: "There's really only three roles Steve Martin would be appropriate for in Bright Star; one is essentially the villain, and all three are very minor. I doubt he'd do the show for what would be a glorified cameo.

"

not to mention that, as we have discussed many times on here now, Martin joining the cast doesn't guarantee more ticket sales. just look at how Sting impacted LAST SHIP sales (hint: he didn't) 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 5:13pm

He did, but after the show was beyond saving. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 5:18pm

Wasn't the issue with The Last Ship that advance sales for post-Sting shows were really crappy so they closed?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

10086sunset
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 5:25pm

Honestly can't see Disaster making it to July. Not sure I can see it making to June. 

In his last column, Riedel mentioned the Bright Star produces having to go out and raise more money, which they did.  Not the best of signs. Hope the show is able to make it. 

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 6:02pm

People say about Bright Star closing, I think the theatre owners Shubert after Hughie and Nerds, wouldn't want another premature closure/Failure to Open, so guess they see what the reviews and work with the producers  and see if they can do $500k a week.

they wouldn't want 3 dark theatres, but also the Shuberts know when the game is up.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 6:03pm

Please keep in mind that the lead producer of Bright Star is Joey Parnes, who of course had successfully been able to keep A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder open for as long as he could. The show made it into Tony season, and we all saw how that turned out.

Videos