News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 6:03pm

Please keep in mind that the lead producer of Bright Star is Joey Parnes, who of course had successfully been able to keep A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder open for as long as he could. The show made it into Tony season, and we all saw how that turned out.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 10:42pm

Nice to see so many shows up in attendance. Did not look and see if this was due to really bad attendance the previous week. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:17pm

Well Bright Star isn't winning the Tonys... Like Gentlemen's Guide did. 

But it hasn't even opened yet. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:32pm

RippedMan said: "Well Bright Star isn't winning the Tonys... Like Gentlemen's Guide did. 

But it hasn't even opened yet. 

"

Maybe so, but having a passionate producer who believes in his projects definitely helps. 

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:34pm

I think the difference is that Gentleman's Guide opened in the fall, in a much less exciting and critically well-received season than this one. Keeping the show open was definitely a risky move, but obviously one that paid off. Bright Star is competing with the juggernaut that is Hamilton, along with much higher-profile projects like Waitress and Shuffle Along. I can't imagine they'll close before the Tonys unless things really bottom out financially, but I don't think it's a comparable situation to Gentleman's Guide.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:36pm

The shows opening this spring are competing with Hamilton for awards consideration but not box office. Hamilton is sold out for so far into the future, it can't possibly take away from the pre Tony box office of any other show.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Egglondon
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/15/16 at 5:35am

Forgetting what you think of Disaster! for a second, I wonder if the show's name subliminally  puts off the average show goer.

neonlightsxo
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/15/16 at 9:20am

little_sally said: "Wasn't the issue with The Last Ship that advance sales for post-Sting shows were really crappy so they closed?"

Yup.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/15/16 at 3:48pm

Bright Star will go on to tour and be done regionally. It's a solid show. But it's not a 3 year run kind of show. 

benappleton
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/13/16
Posted: 3/15/16 at 3:55pm

Maybe now Steve Martin will finally go back to stand up?? Just kidding...

I'm looking forward to seeing Bright Star at some point. 

Videos