News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:18pm

My unpopular opinion is that Come From Away could last several more years, considering it’s production costs are probably not much more than a play. Plus the content is mostly timeless, unlike Dear Evan Hansen whose content was barely topical at its peak. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:31pm

I would agree that Come From Away has more longevity than Dear Evan Hansen. I also think both shows could do well in front of a smaller audience. If they still have a consistent audience, but just not enough people to fill a thousand-seat theatre, I wonder if there may be an appetite for a transfer to an off-Broadway Shubert house. 

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:49pm

Any one care to speculate on what Hugh Jackman’s salary might be? 

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:59pm

soulmistin said: "My unpopular opinion is that Come From Away could last several more years, considering it’s production costs are probably not much more than a play. Plus the content is mostly timeless, unlike Dear Evan Hansen whose content was barely topical at its peak."

I agree with all of this 100%. It was amusing enough to see them across the street from each other as they competed for Best Musical in 2017, but I've seen Come From Away four times and to me it's unquestionably the better show. (Both are good, but CFA is much better.)

I'd love to see it run longer than DEH and have as many people see it as they can - and while its box office is currently down it is nice that's it now easier and more affordable to go see it for those that haven't been before.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 5:27pm

soulmistin said: "My unpopular opinion is that Come From Away could last several more years, considering it’s production costs are probably not much more than a play. Plus the content is mostly timeless, unlike Dear Evan Hansen whose content was barely topical at its peak."

18 actors (including standbys) + 8 musicians would be a pretty hefty running cost for a play. CFA and DEH probably cost about $600K a week to operate, these grosses are hovering right around the breakeven point.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 5:32pm

dshnookie said: "Any one care to speculate on what Hugh Jackman’s salary might be?"

For DOLLY, Bette Midler got $150K per week + a percentage of the box office and merch –– and she was only doing 7 shows a week. Which is a pretty standard salary for a star of that caliber (Pacino, Hanks, etc). I assume Hugh is making approximately the same.

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/7/22 at 12:01am

jkcohen626 said: "I would agree that Come From Away has more longevity than Dear Evan Hansen. I also think both shows could do well in front of a smaller audience. If they still have a consistent audience, but just not enough people to fill a thousand-seat theatre, I wonder if there may be an appetite for a transfer to an off-Broadway Shubert house."

It feels slightly unethical of me to agree since I do work at Come From Away (not solely, I work at several shows) but do not work at Dear Evan Hansen, but this has mostly been what I’ve observed working. There’s plenty of repeat visitors and tourists, but it’s not exactly a hot ticket. My personal opinion has always been if the show had more media coverage it would be more popular, and the proshot being on Apple TV is not very accessible compared to Netflix or Hulu. 

Dear Evan Hansen is just dated. It was always bordering on actually offensive anyway, so it’s just not aging well. 

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/7/22 at 12:03am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "soulmistin said: "My unpopular opinion is that Come From Away could last several more years, considering it’s production costs are probably not much more than a play. Plus the content is mostly timeless, unlike Dear Evan Hansen whose content was barely topical at its peak."

18 actors (including standbys) + 8 musicians would be a pretty hefty running cost for a play. CFA and DEH probably cost about $600K a week to operate, these grosses are hovering right around the breakeven point.
"

I have no clue what the running cost of either is, but I would assume DEH is more expensive for sure, there’s got to be a much larger effects and lighting crew at least. 

Videos