News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 1:16pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 4/3/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: TAKE ME OUT (5%), AMERICAN UTOPIA (0.6%), THE MUSIC MAN (0.4%), HAMILTON (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance was: COME FROM AWAY (-10.5%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (-9.1%), AMERICAN BUFFALO (-7.8%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-7.3%), TINA - THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL (-6.4%), CHICAGO (-6.2%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-5.3%), COMPANY (-5%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-3.8%), BIRTHDAY CANDLES (-3.6%), ALADDIN (-2.9%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-2.8%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-1.9%), PARADISE SQUARE (-1.6%), THE LION KING (-1.6%), WICKED (-1.5%), HADESTOWN (-0.7%), PLAZA SUITE (-0.7%), SIX (-0.5%), FUNNY GIRL (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 1:44pm

Nice to see you posting the grosses again, Rob! :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 1:44pm

I wonder if Company’s dip could be related to Lenk’s absence?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 1:48pm

Cleary the demand for Funny Girl is there! At least for now. Good for them!

And nice to Six in the $1m club!

And Paradise Square with high capacity but low grosses, ouch.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:01pm

That's a REALLY good start for FUNNY GIRL. A pretty good start for MR. SATURDAY NIGHT, which I assumed was doing worse because it's been on TDF. But maybe they're just selling a lot of premium tix. Often a revival or musical with a star (like COMPANY, or CAROUSEL, or FIDDLER 2016, or WAR PAINT) will have 1-3 really good months and then the numbers will dip. So there's no telling where these shows might land a few months from now.

Surprised that AMERICAN BUFFALO isn't doing better considering its 3 stars. Maybe (hopefully) the Mamet audience has finally dried up.

Updated On: 4/5/22 at 02:01 PM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:06pm

Question for anyone who might know.

Is there any way to access historical grosses on BroadwayWorld anymore? I can't seem to find the option anymore, unless I'm just missing it.

I know you can do it on Playbill and The Broadway League's site, but BWW has always been my favorite place for grosses, so I was wondering if the option is still there here, as well.

JSquared2
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:08pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Surprised that AMERICAN BUFFALO isn't doing better considering its 3 stars. Maybe (hopefully) the Mamet audience has finally dried up."

What's wrong with "the Mamet audience"?  Why so b*tchy about it? You may very well not like his politics right now -- but he's written some damn good plays.

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:14pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Question for anyone who might know.

Is there any way to access historical grosses on BroadwayWorld anymore? I can't seem to find the option anymore, unless I'm just missing it.

I know you can do it on Playbill and The Broadway League's site, but BWW has always been my favorite place for grosses, so I was wondering if the option is still there here, as well.
"

You certainly can via the links here on the main grosses page... 

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:25pm

Yikes...that's not a good number for Paradise Square. That averages to about $37,000 per performance, which is the second worst average of any show this week. (The worst was The Skin of Our Teeth, which brought in about $20K over each of its first three previews.)

I know this week had an opening night and comp'd press tickets, but still Paradise Square is losing hundreds of thousands every week. It's likely they're waiting for a miracle with Tony nominations, but if sales don't seriously pick up (and fast) this could join Diana as one of the season's biggest flops.

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:31pm

On a separate note, it's great to see 13 shows in the $1M+ club - that's impressive.

19 of the 31 shows are also posting average ticket prices above $100 - and that number will only go up through the late spring and early summer. The average ticket price this week across all shows was $117.05.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:36pm

I've yet to be impressed by any Mamet play I've seen. His writing just doesn't interest me. So I get it. I think the set/cast is impressive for American Buffalo but just wouldn't get me in the theater.

BwayFan252
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:37pm

Another less-than-ideal week for Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen. How long do we think these shows will last? Will they make it another year? Or is there a chance they close before 2023?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 2:59pm

I don't know that either show is too costly to produce, so not sure if they're losing any money or just not making a ton.

But, just to note, American Utopia is still raking it in. I could see them bringing it back.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 5:34pm

BwayFan252 said: "Another less-than-ideal week for Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen. How long do we think these shows will last? Will they make it another year? Or is there a chance they close before 2023?"

This time of year is normally slow for Broadway. Let’s see what the numbers will be like for both shows come June/July. I really hope they don’t close.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 5:34pm

BwayFan252 said: "Another less-than-ideal week for Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen. How long do we think these shows will last? Will they make it another year? Or is there a chance they close before 2023?"

This time of year is normally slow for Broadway. Let’s see what the numbers will be like for both shows come June/July. I really hope they don’t close.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 5:35pm

Are potential grosses not being reported like they were pre-pandemic? I was always interested to see how much of their potential each show was making.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 9:10pm

Bold prediction: one or two of Paradise SquareTinaCome From Away, and Dear Evan Hansen will close retroactively in the coming days / weeks amidst this fresh batch of COVID cases. 
Judging by their grosses in recent weeks, they’re among the shows that cannot withstand many cancelled performances. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/5/22 at 9:20pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Bold prediction: one or two ofParadise Square,Tina,Come From Away, andDear Evan Hansenwill close retroactively in the coming days / weeks amidst this fresh batch of COVID cases.
Judging by their grosses in recent weeks, they’re among the shows that cannot withstand many cancelled performances.
"

You seem like a blast to hang out with.

Seriously, do you also have a prediction for when the world will end? Because you've sure been abundant with doom-and-gloom predictions over the past two years.

chrishuyen
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 12:14am

TheGingerBreadMan said: "Are potential grosses not being reported like they were pre-pandemic? I was always interested to see how much of their potential each show was making."

Forget where it was but there was an article that mentioned how potential gross became less of a helpful indicator due to dynamic pricing, but not sure if that's the actual reason why we don't see it anymore 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 12:19am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Bold prediction: one or two ofParadise Square,Tina,Come From Away, andDear Evan Hansenwill close retroactively in the coming days / weeks amidst this fresh batch of COVID cases.
"

How does one close a show retroactively? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 12:22am

HogansHero said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Bold prediction: one or two ofParadise Square,Tina,Come From Away, andDear Evan Hansenwill close retroactively in the coming days / weeks amidst this fresh batch of COVID cases.
"

How does one close a show retroactively?

"

Ultimately, it comes down to the producers to decide on this, after performances have to be cancelled because of breakthrough COVID. Can their shows survive COVID cancellations when the grosses are already dire?

We saw this in the first Omicron wave with WaitressThoughts of a Colored Man, and Jagged Little Pill. All three played their final performances without knowing it at the time.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/6/22 at 12:22 AM

MadsonMelo
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 12:58am

I doubt that would happen with recouped shows like Evan Hansen and Come From Away 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 1:07am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Ultimately, it comes down to the producers to decide on this, after performances have to be cancelled because of breakthrough COVID. "

No show closed retroactively. Shows had performance cancellations and thereafter closed. Closing retroactively would be like putting a baby back in the womb.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 1:48am

I'd imagine Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen - both who have successful tours and foreign productions - are probably okay for now. I think Tina is still running in the West End? So maybe they're better off than we think. 

Paradise Square seems to have deep pockets, but you never know. It doesn't sound like any of its productions have been successful and I don't think it's a show audiences are going to gravitate towards unless they can get their leading lady all over TV and make it a must-see performance. 

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/3/22
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:18pm

My unpopular opinion is that Come From Away could last several more years, considering it’s production costs are probably not much more than a play. Plus the content is mostly timeless, unlike Dear Evan Hansen whose content was barely topical at its peak. 

Videos