News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hamilton

HappyMom2003
#1Hamilton
Posted: 5/30/18 at 12:55pm

We are coming to NY to see Hamilton.  Where is the best "safest" location to stay in the city?  We will be sight seeing while there. 

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#2Hamilton
Posted: 5/30/18 at 12:58pm

Red Lobster.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#3Hamilton
Posted: 5/30/18 at 6:58pm

New York is safe.

Get a hotel near a subway station and enjoy your visit.

SingItToMeBaby
#4Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 2:13am

BalconyClub said: "Red Lobster."

Too good!

StephieElise
#5Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 2:37am

I prefer to stay in the Theatre District, mainly for convenience. It’s nice to be able to easily pop back to your hotel before your show to freshen up. I’ve stayed twice at the Edison which has a back entrance into W46th opposite the Richard Rodgers Theatre. In January I stayed at the Hilton Times Square on 8th which was also good.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 5:08am

Wee Thomas is right. NY is a safe city, you have little to worry about.

If you narrow it down to a few places, we can be more helpful.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wee Thomas2
#7Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 6:52am

Also, a subject line that has something to do with your question will often get you more and better answers.

karennnnn
#8Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 10:49am

We've been using Airbnb for a few years now when visiting the city and have had a lot of luck with it.  

The majority of folks who rent out their rooms/apartments are also very eager to help with advice regarding sightseeing, etc.

I would suggest looking at places in Hell's Kitchen, which is within walking distance to Times Square/Hamilton.  I've seen many places listed for the TS area as well, but the surrounding neighborhoods in my opinion are better.

We prefer staying on the lower east side or in the east/west village or soho because it's not that typical NY tourist experience with big buildings and flashing lights, but if you want that typical NY tourist experience, you may want to stay closer to TS.  Staying in those hoods is awesome, but you also have to be prepared to pay $$ to get uptown if you're not comfortable with the subway (and make sure you give yourself LOTS of time).

While we're talking about transportation other than subway, Uber/Juno/Lyft is a must.  Juno is offering 30% off for a month to new customers.  Used that our last trip and saved a lot of money.

Any hotel in TS is fine if you wanted to stay really close to the theatre and sightseeing that is in the general area.  However, you'll likely pay about as much if not more than your Hammy tix.

Alex172005
#9Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 11:48am

My wife and I have been traveling at least once a year from Texas to NYC for broadway shows for about 14 years now, and we always stay in midtown for a couple of reasons.

1. The obvious reason is that staying in midtown means you’re walking distance to just about every Broadway theatre.

2. There are a lot of subway lines that pass through midtown, so no matter where you need to go, you’re almost always just a few blocks away from a train that can get you there.

3. Especially for your first visit, this is basically the central hub for tourists.

We like to stay at Room Mate Grace. It’s cheap because the rooms are small, but you’ll find that most rooms in NYC are smaller than your average hotel room, and you won’t be spending a lot of time in there anyway.

Enjoy Hamilton. It’s a great show!

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#10Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 12:19pm

First: NYC is safe. You should be cautious LIKE YOU WOULD BE ANYWHERE, but you have nothing to fear. You'll be fine at any decent Midtown hotel.

Having said that, you may feel more secure at one of the hotels someone mentioned previously. The Hilton Times Square is 20 stories above street level. There's a street-level lobby/entrance, of course, but the main lobby is situated many floors higher, with 20 floors of guest rooms above it. It's all built over the huge AMC theater near the southeast corner of 42nd and 8th. The rooms are also quieter, being further away from street noise.

Look, anything can happen anywhere. But there's no special reason to be worried about NYC.

Wee Thomas2
#11Hamilton
Posted: 5/31/18 at 6:09pm

karennnnn said: "We've been using Airbnb for a few years now when visiting the city and have had a lot of luck with it.

Just know that Airbnb is almost entirely illegal in NYC, especially in Manhattan, and folks end up finding out last minute that their reservation was canceled by the renter or by their building

Videos