News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hedwig after Taye

MNC77
#50Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 11:32am

""I would love to see him explore his dark side, as SDV says."
Have either of you seen Hamilton yet? It may not necessarily be a full demonstration of Groff's dark side but it is interesting to see him with a bit more edge and a bit more camp. Seeing him in that show, I was able to picture the overlap of his George with what I imagine would be his Hedwig. 
But he's also welcome to just put on the booty shorts and sing the score. In my apartment. "

Since Groff's Hamilton contract almost definitely lasts through til next summer, I doubt he'll be playing Hedwig before the show closes. If it lasts that long, I think he would be fine, but I doubt the producers would go for him.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#51Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 11:40am

We don't know for how long his contract last or its ins and outs.  He'll obviously have to leave at some point to shoot the Looking movie.  And he joined the cast for a short stint to fill in for BJD, so who knows if he'd want to commit to a run that long.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#52Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 11:58am

Since Groff's Hamilton contract almost definitely lasts through til next summer, I doubt he'll be playing Hedwig before the show closes. If it lasts that long, I think he would be fine, but I doubt the producers would go for him."

Interesting. A full year contract - or maybe 6 months? That just seems like such a long commitment for someone like Groff who not only has a small part but has also been on a pretty good career trajectory as of late. 

Maybe he could do the tour and they could promote the "Frozen" association to sell the wider USA market on a show like Hedwig. 

MNC77
#53Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 12:03pm

"We don't know for how long his contract last or its ins and outs.  He'll obviously have to leave at some point to shoot the Looking movie.  And he joined the cast for a short stint to fill in for BJD, so who knows if he'd want to commit to a run that long."

He joined the off-broadway cast for a short run. When the show transferred he got a new contract, and with a high profile show like Hamilton I'd be surprised if its not at least 6 months, with a year being more likely.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#54Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 12:23pm

J52 I have seen him in Hamilton and agree he's fantastic (in his 8 minutes on stage). I'd really like him to step out of his wheelhouse a little more often. He's been the sweet doe-eyed boy enough. Hedwig would really force him to do that and use all of his talents. Could he sell enough tickets, though?

Also, I'd love for him to stay around Hamilton for a year, but would he really give up everything else for that long to do 8 minutes a night?

ChiTheaterFan
#55Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 1:17pm

When I met him at the Public, several people asked whether he'd be making the transfer.  Looking had not been cancelled, and so he said he'd have to wait and see what would happen with Looking, but being in Hamilton was the most fun he's ever had in a show.  I've also read interviews with him where he said he will stay as long as they will have him, and talked about how much he loves being in the show.  That is probably an exaggeration--I'm sure he'll leave eventually--but with his seemingly genuine love of the show and its immense popularity, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd stay longer than you'd otherwise expect him to for a relatively small part. 

I also thought I read somewhere that they gave him the option to take a break from Hamilton to film the Looking move and then come back, but I don't remember where I read that, and we all know not everything on the internet is true....

ChiTheaterFan
#56Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 5:19pm

Reading about the idea of a woman as Hedwig, and the suggestion of Laverne Cox (which made me think of OITNB), and seeing that her CD of Bowie songs was released today made me think of what Lea DeLaria might be like. Obviously totally different but she's a hilarious comedic actress and can sing. Wouldn't be physically the "slip of a girly boy" and would bring a really masculine energy to the role, but I just think it could be really, really interesting.

It would never actually happen because she's not a big enough star, but I just think with the boundary pushing subject matter of Hedwig, it's interesting to imagine a boundary-pushing woman in the role. 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#57Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 5:21pm

Sadly, I don't think Laverne can sing all too well. I'd love to see Juliette Lewis give it a try - when sheedy did it she wore a contraption similar to what Yitzhak wears and then a tank top. I don't think Adam Lambert has the acting ability, and I'd worry about Alan being able to really handle all of it - not that he's not a genius, but only John can pull off the sitting.

I'm still hoping we see Anthony Rapp come back in and put the heels on again.

Updated On: 7/24/15 at 05:21 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#58Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/24/15 at 6:40pm

Gerard Way, formerly of My Chemical Romance when it existed, fits the role pretty well- he's got the dangerous arch campness and the vulnerability. But I'm still hoping for a Jack Black Hedwig- somebody who doesn't look like a fashion plate or a twink done up in tragic drag, who gets the humor and the rage and has a really strong, hard rock voice.

You can have your doubts, but once you think "Jack Black's rendition of Origin of Love," it's difficult not to hear it in your head. All you need to do is picture the line "But Zeus said no," and it all snaps into place from there.

TomSloan
#59Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/25/15 at 12:46am

"I'm still hoping we see Anthony Rapp come back in and put the heels on again."

I saw him do the show it Pittsburgh and he was outstanding.

A1st
#60Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:13am

I put this in the other thread too, but it isn't going to be Alan:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alancumming/status/625521342759194624

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#61Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/27/15 at 3:03am

John said that he would not be returning to hedwig when asked at the beginning of november when it was floating around that he might but then a few days later he was announced so you never know

AppleSunday
#62Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/27/15 at 12:44pm

It would be amazing if they closed out the last three months with each actor coming back for two weeks. NPH and Andrew taking the first month. MCH and Darren in the second. Taye starting the third with John taking the final two weeks. Sales would be through the roof with only 14 opportunities to see each Hedwig one last time. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#63Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/27/15 at 12:49pm

Or maybe they can all do the same performance and take a few minutes each. (I don't even know how sarcastic I'm being.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#64Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/27/15 at 12:52pm

"It would be amazing if they closed out the last three months with each actor coming back for two weeks. NPH and Andrew taking the first month. MCH and Darren in the second. Taye starting the third with John taking the final two weeks. Sales would be through the roof with only 14 opportunities to see each Hedwig one last time. "

You could take over the world. That would be GENIUS. I'd be poor because I would have to see them all again (save maybe NPH, to be honest) and then I would just hide in an air shaft in the Belasco during John's week.

HedwigInch
#65Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:11pm

That would be really cool. Who would be Yitzhak though? Lena for all weeks, or just half and then Rebecca? Or one week each actor performs with Lena and then the second with Rebecca. That way fans of Darren and Taye could see them perform with Lena too.

*wishful thinking mode activated*

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#66Hedwig after Taye
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:15pm

Good lord that's a great idea, AppleSunday.

Since we're in wishful thinking mode, I propose they each get their particular Yitz back except for JCM, who gets Miriam.

Videos