News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It- Page 2

If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#25re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 3:21pm

Guys and Dolls:
Sky-Cheyenne Jackson
Sarah-Amanda Seyfried
Nathan-Eric McCormack
Adelaide-Jane Krakowski

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

SporkGoddess
#26re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 3:33pm

I don't think Amanda Seyfried has the vocal chops for Sarah.

Also, isn't Laura Benanti too old to play Larken?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/21/08 at 03:33 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#27re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 3:47pm

I know it was just revived, but A Chorus Line -

Maggie: Krysta Rodriguez
Zach: Grant Turner
Sheila: Jane Krakowski
Kristine: Annaleigh Ashford (can she dance?)

I haven't figured out the rest yet.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 12/21/08 at 03:47 PM

PiraguaGuy2
#28re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 3:50pm

I'm all for casting non-dancers in dancing roles (Karen Olivo as Anita) but Jane Krakowski COULD NOT, under any circumstances, handle "The Music and the Mirror".

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#29re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 3:53pm

... because clearly, in my world, "Cassie" and "Sheila" are interchangeable.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

PiraguaGuy2
#30re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 3:54pm

Oops. Honest mistake. Well, I don't know if she could handle that either.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#31re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:04pm

SWEENEY TODD
Sweeney-- Norm Lewis (hey, he's played the role regionally)
Mrs. Lovett-- Susan Blackwell (too young?)
Judge-- Terrence Mann
Anthony-- Cheyenne Jackson
Johanna-- Brandi Burkhardt
Beggar Woman-- Ooh, I don't know. Someone good. Someone CRAZY.
Pirelli-- Tyler Maynard
Beadle-- Michael Ball (You knew I was gonna put him on here...)

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

PiraguaGuy2
#32re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:08pm

Norm would be amazing, although then Johanna would have to be black as well. I don't love Cheyenne as Anthony. I've always pictured Anthony as someone who's less, well...attractive.

And I love me some Susan Blackwell, but to paraphrase [tos], "They might say that she cannot sing good enough to be in THAT musical".

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#33re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:11pm

Norm Lewis plays Ariel's daddy, and she's not black! That's the magic of the theatre, I guess. I thought of Susan for Mrs. Lovett, because although it's a vocally challenging role, it's not a role where you necessarily have to sound beautiful. But you're right, I just couldn't think of anyone I really could see in the role at the moment.

For some reason, I don't find Cheyenne at all attractive... but I've always wanted an Anthony who actually looks like a sailor and not like a... wimp? And he does have a big voice. Basically, I just wanted the antithesis of that creeper who played him in the film, Jamie Campbell Something. Ugh, I had nightmares about that kid.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

PiraguaGuy2
#34re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:14pm

I liked him, actually.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#35re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:32pm

Ha, it's probably just because I'm a girl. Most of the girls I know didn't like him, and most of the guys I know thought he was great. I think I'm just shallow and dislike him because I think he's incredibly creepy-looking and would not want him to stand outside my window with a trickle of blood running down his face, hissing, "I feeeeel you!"

PiraguaGuy2
#36re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:33pm

But he's in love! He does it out of love!

SporkGoddess
#37re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:37pm

I think a lot of people feel that "Johanna" is a stalker song.

My sister and I laughed so hard when Anthony got the crap beaten out of him; he simply stood up, brushed himself off, and kept on singing.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

PiraguaGuy2
#38re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:45pm

Yeah, that was silly.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#39re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:47pm

Well, that’s the thing—“Johanna” should be sung like he is doing it out of love, like he’s a knight in shining armor who wants to rescue her. A good performer can make it seem less like a stalker song, because it really is a beautiful song. If you have a wimpy little Antony, the song seems like he’s a pervish peeping tom who spies on Johanna and fantasizes about her, really not that different from Judge Turpin.

I love Cris Groendaal and Hugh Panaro’s renditions of the song—they’re very heroic sounding, rather than the thin little breathy whisper that Jamie Campbell Bower used. He has a nice voice, but he just doesn’t seem like Antony to me. He seems… sinister and sickly.

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#40re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/21/08 at 4:52pm

See, I always pictured Anthony the exact opposite. That way he kind of compliments Johanna. I like his boyish charm and innocence. I don't think Johanna would go for a knight in shining armor type.

But then again, I loved the movie guy (just watched it last night on HBO) and I'm a guy, so looks like your theory is pretty much right. re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It

Men don't even belt.

wheelsinmotion Profile Photo
wheelsinmotion
#41re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 12:24am

My favorite "bad" show BKLYN: The Musical.
Brooklyn: Diana Degarmo
Street Singer: Michael McElroy
Taylor Collins: Will Chase
Paradice: Melba Moore
Faith: Kerry Butler

You're hurt and you're scared because you doubt your own artistic ability.

SteamHeat2 Profile Photo
SteamHeat2
#42re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 12:43am

"Also, isn't Laura Benanti too old to play Larken?"

Probably, but her voice would be beautiful.. :)

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#43re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 2:55am

madbrian, I'm not sure if you know this, but Harriet Harris played Vera when Mame was at the Kennedy Center, starring Christine Baranksi. Baranski is very talented but I didn't find her quite rught for the role. Harris was the best part of the cast, with a fun turn with Emily Skinner as Gooch. Speaking of, I know Annie isn't a favorite but I would love to see Skinner's Miss Hannigan and her Ursula in Little Mermaid. She also has the sweetness and humor to be a terrific Dolly one day.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#44re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 5:47am

There are some casting suggestions in this thread that make me wonder if the people who posted them have ever seen the shows or alternatively if they've even seen the actors they're suggesting. But what the hell? Not a great surprise.

One suggestion that sounds kind of good on paper is Norm Lewis as Sweeney. Except that everyone I know who saw him in the role says he just was wrong for it in every way. And it seems he also ran into some vocal trouble doing it. True, he's older now and perhaps would have a bit more access to some of the emotional requirements, but talented as he is, I suspect it's still not a good role for him.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#45re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 5:51am

I know it just closed not too long ago but Curtains...
and I only have one casting choice in my head.

Annaleigh Ashford as Niki Harris.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Anaevianne2
#46re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 6:08am

I would pay to see Julia Murney as Cathy in a revival of The Last 5 Years - she rocked during the performance with Jason Robert Brown as Jamie in 2006.

If Xanadu ever gets revived I think Becky Gulsvig would be great as Clio/Kira. I'd like to see Sutton Foster as Dot in Sunday in the Park with George in a few years; after seeing her as Fiona in Shrek I think she could handle it.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#47re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 6:20am

Yeah, because Princess Fiona is as challenging vocally and acting wise as Dot in SITPWG... I definitely think her performance in Shrek proves her ability to play the equivalent role of Dot!

Schmerg_The_Impaler
#48re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 6:42am

nobodyhome-- I was the person who suggested Norm Lewis as Sweeney Todd, and I heard that he wasn't right for the part, either. But I've seen him as King Triton, and I enjoyed watching him so much that I just wanted to SEE how he'd interpret Sweeney, even though I heard that he actually wasn't very good. And I feel that he could step up his game.

Also, I really just wanted to put down a former Javert for both Sweeney and the Judge, and Norm Lewis and Terrence Mann were my favourites.. You know what, though? I think James Barbour might also make a good Sweeney.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#49re: If You Could Revive 1 Show & Cast It
Posted: 12/22/08 at 8:55pm

"nobodyhome-- I was the person who suggested Norm Lewis as Sweeney Todd, and I heard that he wasn't right for the part, either. But I've seen him as King Triton, and I enjoyed watching him so much that I just wanted to SEE how he'd interpret Sweeney, even though I heard that he actually wasn't very good. And I feel that he could step up his game.

"Also, I really just wanted to put down a former Javert for both Sweeney and the Judge, and Norm Lewis and Terrence Mann were my favourites.. You know what, though? I think James Barbour might also make a good Sweeney."

I'm not a big Terrence Mann fan, but he's so creepy that he might be a good Judge, though I don't think of his voice as having the right kind of darkness for the role.

I've never gotten much depth from James Barbour so I can't really see him as Sweeney, but you're not the first person to suggest it. And I could be completely wrong.

In my experience, the people who've played the role well have been people who've had as much experience (or more) in plays than in musicals.

Videos