News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

London in 2 weeks…

JasonC3
#25London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/11/24 at 3:57am

I can't attest to the quality of the experience, but I noticed standing room seats are being added/are available for some Macbeth performances. £20.

cam5y
#26London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/11/24 at 4:27am

yyys said: "anyone seen The Real Thing at the OldVic? I read good things about it."

I enjoyed it - the acting is impeccable and the production interesting. I just think it’s a lesser Stoppard play, and pretty dated. The sexual politics and emotion in this one have dated much more quickly than his more intellectual plays like Arcadia, I think. But definitely worth catching. 

jared123
#27London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/13/24 at 10:05am

I'm going to london this week.  I managed to get tickets to fear of 13 and Giant within the last week.  Just keep an eye on their sites.  And with giant add an alert on todaytix

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#28London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/13/24 at 2:41pm

Just leaving Starlight Express…the less that can be said, the better. The 11 year-old-me who saw this in Las Vegas ages ago enjoyed it for a few moments, adult me compelled me to bail after the first act 😆

Saw Macbeth yesterday and the reviews are dead on. It’s a spectacularly acted by its two principals (…supporting cast wasn’t as consistently on the same level, however). The production was thoughtful and novel without being intrusive. 

The production is played predominantly on a white platform towards the front of the stage with a glass screen separating it from the rear of the stage (think Stereophonic). Most of the action occurs on or near the white platform and the rear is used mostly for music and auditory effects. If you’ve seen the Met’s most recent production of Die Zauberflote, it’s a similar concept. Those sounds and effects were projected to the audio devices worn by the audience in a McBurney manner. The audio also projected actors dialogue which worked most  effectively in whispers.  The concept all worked great in the large Harold Pinter Theater, but I imagine in the much smaller Donmar, it would have been even more effective and creepy.  

Definitely worth hunting for this ticket, which is definitely a hot item.  First time I’ve ever gone to a West End show where the programs were sold out!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/13/24 at 4:22pm

Play Esq did you happen to be sitting in one of the front 'carriages'? I was a bit surprised to see a couple empty seats at intermission today. Personally, I found starlight express to be one of the strangest shows I've ever seen but it actually worked for me. The cast is so talented, the staging is so cool and the concept is so bonkers that it actually worked for me. I can see how this won't appeal to everyone though. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/13/24 at 04:22 PM

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#30London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/13/24 at 6:01pm

Yup, one of those seats was mine (center carriage stage right)!  

No hate to anyone who enjoys this production. I loved the Las Vegas sit-down so much that I made my mother take me several times! That was mostly the reason for me going on while on this trip to London: nostalgia. This production is fine, but not as epic as the LV show, at least as I remember it. The weirdness feels a little more cloying as an adult, as a kid, I remember being mind blown by all the skating and costumes. 

Most of the audience clearly ate it up, I just wasn’t one of them. Very glad that you enjoyed. Not likely to see any production of this show again anytime soon, so might as well take advantage of the opportunity!

Updated On: 10/13/24 at 06:01 PM

Latest Posts

Videos