News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

London in 2 weeks…

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#1London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 5:18pm

Last minute trip to London! Any show recs would be greatly appreciated. I tend to like smaller more intimate shows, dramas, darker stuff, or exceptional musicals like “The Band’s Visit.”  What are the hot shows rn? 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#2London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 5:58pm

Dr. Strangelove and Oedipus just started previews. 

Lehman Trilogy is at Gillian Lynne. 

John Lithgow is in a new play about Roald Dahl, but it is "sold out" - of course, there is "sold out" and there is "sold out"

Hadestown has a new cast that looks pretty exciting. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 6:10pm

Maybe check out “A Face in the Crowd”. Seeing it in a few weeks and word of mouth has been mixed but it’s Ramin so I’m very excited. I’d also recommend “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” playing at the Ambassadors, that starts previews tomorrow. I saw that at Southwark Playhouse last year and thought it was just remarkable - I CAN’T WAIT to see it again. If you like stuff like “Band’s Visit”, I think you’d appreciate something like this

JasonC3
#4London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 6:55pm

Here's my London docket for month's end.
More plays than usual.

Waiting for Godot
Look Back in Anger
Oedipus
Benjamin Button
Dr. Strangelove
A Face in the Crowd
Lehman Trilogy
Sadler Wells-Stories
I Am Harvey Milk

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#5London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 7:38pm

My list for this weekend and next week, Dr. Strangelove, Oedipus, Juno and the Paycock, Giant at the Royal, and Tennant’s Macbeth.  Because Starlight Express has Sunday performances, I was able to add.

Early word for Strangelove (first preview was last night) is very strong as is Oedipus.  Juno’s reviews came out this week and were fine, if not raves.

amaklo
#6London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 8:03pm

I was in London last week.  I saw:

A Face in the Crowd--strong story and a good score by Elvis Costello.  Great performance from Karimloo. I had some issues with the pacing and song placements, but on the whole enjoyed it. 

Guys and Dolls--simply sublime. A wonderful production of the classic old-fashioned musical.

Juno and the Paycock--a divisive production of the Sean O'Casey classic tragi-comedy. Mark Rylance is brilliant but his performance is so over the top he seems to be in a different show from the other actors. 

The Comedy of Errors (Shakespeare's Globe)--  A 400 year old comedy played like modern farce. Very enjoyable as long as you don't get hung up on how silly the plot is.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#7London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 8:52pm

The Comedy of Errors (Shakespeare's Globe)-- A 400 year old comedy played like modern farce. Very enjoyable as long as you don't get hung up on how silly the plot is."

I didn’t even think of the Globe this time of year, I would have thought they’d be closed up for the season! Thanks for this, looks like I’ll be able to take in a Tuesday afternoon performance of Shrew!

cam5y
#8London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 9:05pm

Oedipus is AMAZING, as is Giant (there’s some kind of Monday tickets thing). Lithgow and Manville seem to be locks for the Oliviers from my perspective. I was bored stiff by the book of A Face in the Crowd but Ramin and Anoushka were fantastic. I have not heard good things about Juno and the Paycock. Tennant was great at the Donmar and I’m sure will be good in the WE as well. Oh and the Duchess was all over the place. Jodie W was good but it was like Tarantino.

Updated On: 10/9/24 at 09:05 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 9:13pm

Glad you enjoyed “Oedipus”, it’s something I’ve been really excited for. Manville is one of our greatest actresses so I’ll never miss the chance to see her. 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#10London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/9/24 at 10:14pm

Oh and the Duchess was all over the place. Jodie W was good but it was like Tarantino."

I heard this about Duchess, as in tonal problems. Does it seem like something that can be resolved during previews or it’s just going to be a mess for critics?  Also thanks for the heads up about the other shows, I feel less bad about dropping Juno if something more intriguing comes up. 

Calvin11
#11London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 5:39am

If you're into darker stuff, check out "The Ferryman" for something more intimate, I’d suggest "The Play That Goes Wrong"

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#12London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 6:08am

“Giant” is exceptional and I’d say a frontrunner for the Olivier. I’d also recommend Benjamin Button for a small intimate musical. 
I haven’t seen it yet, but “The Fear of 13” at the Donmar is getting great word of mouth (sold out aside from returns and daily release).

You can do yourself a favour and avoid the new revival of Juno and the Paycock - it’s extremely dull.

cam5y
#13London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 6:45am

Play Esq. said: "Oh and the Duchess was all over the place. Jodie W was good but it was like Tarantino."

I heard this about Duchess, as in tonal problems. Does it seem like something that can be resolved during previews or it’s just going to be a mess for critics? Also thanks for the heads up about the other shows, I feel less bad about dropping Juno if something more intriguing comes up.
"

I was there last night and they had resolved the tonal problems such that there wasn’t any inappropriate laughter, but it’s still so over the top that my eyes remained resolutely dry. I’m not sure this can be done such that a modern audience will really respond to it. I think it will remain something of a mess for critics. (Also if you are in the first 3ish rows of the stalls, you may be spattered with fake blood which they did not warn us about). I’m also looking forward to Dr Strangelove, Benjamin Button and A Tupperware of Ashes (at the National) but haven’t seen them yet.

JasonC3
#14London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 7:30am

I have one slot left and am contemplating adding either A Tupperware of Ashes or The Other Place, both National Theatre productions. Each is getting pretty consistent praise over at theatreboard.co.uk

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#15London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 11:25am

Button definitely is in a more "intimate" space! 405 total seats. Note: the stage there is always high for the first few rows of the stalls. 

yyys
#16London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 12:04pm

FYI - they just added 20 pound standing tickets for Macbeth (obstructed it says)

https://www.atgtickets.com/shows/macbeth/harold-pinter-theatre/calendar/2024-10-29

Updated On: 10/10/24 at 12:04 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#17London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 12:16pm

Oedipus was the best from  all I saw.

Adrien Brody is very charming in the touching The Fear of 13.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#18London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 1:21pm

Thanks for the Benjamin Button rec! Adding it to my docket for January.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#19London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 3:52pm

blaxx said: "Oedipus was the best from all I saw.

Adrien Brody is very charming in the touching The Fear of 13.
"

I think Fear of 13 is "sold out" - but as with Giant, there is "sold out" and then there is "sold out"

yyys
#20London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 5:00pm

anyone seen The Real Thing at the Old Vic?  I read good things about it.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#21London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 5:14pm

I saw Macbeth with David Tennant last night and was just absolutely blown away! If you're willing to get up early, they have £25 rush tickets in the front row! This is a performance not to be missed. It is playing till December 14. I would suggest rushing on a weekday as you'll likely have a better shot at getting a ticket, as they only have about 18-day seats per day. When I got there, there were only two people in front of me, and that was about 90 minutes before they opened. Try your luck. It's worth it!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#22London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 7:02pm

Elated reading this, it was my number one choice but thought I was shut out until a bunch of random premium stall seats opened up.  That also appears to be an option for most dates, much more expensive than I’ve seen in the West End, but “reasonable” from a Broadway ticket price expectation.  

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#23London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/10/24 at 10:11pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I saw Macbeth with David Tennant last night and was just absolutely blown away!If you're willing to get up early, they have£25 rush tickets in the front row! This is a performance not to be missed. It is playing till December 14. I would suggest rushing on a weekday as you'll likely have a better shot at getting a ticket, as they only have about 18-day seats per day. When I got there, there were only two people in front of me, and that was about 90 minutes before they opened. Try your luck. It's worth it!"

This production looks super dope What time did you get to the theatre to rush? I am having trouble finding info on what time they open the box office.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#24London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/11/24 at 3:19am

Box office opens at 10 AM. I got there round 8:30. There were only 2 people in front of me so my odds looked good. My advice would be to go on a weekday as there won’t be too many people there. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

JasonC3
#25London in 2 weeks…
Posted: 10/11/24 at 3:57am

I can't attest to the quality of the experience, but I noticed standing room seats are being added/are available for some Macbeth performances. £20.

Videos