News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Rent

bway_baby Profile Photo
bway_baby
#0Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 2:50am

Does anybody else NOT like Rent?

Just wondering, because while it's ok, I don't think it's amazing or even that great.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 2:52am

Does anybody else NOT like Rent?

No, you really are THAT unique.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#2re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 3:04am

"Does anybody else NOT like Rent?"

It's ok, I mean I like the music but it's not one that I would go and pay money and see, I mean if i got tickets for free i would, but like thats going to happen. But i would not spend my money and go see it. I'd just buy the cast album and listen to the music.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#3re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 3:12am

my whole family hates it...and a lot of my friends. they don't understand my love for it..so yes, people do :)

jerseyboyslover
#4re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 3:17am

I mean it's ok but it's not the best thing out there.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#5re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 3:31am

What are you talking about@?@@!?!?/ NO DAY BUT 2DAY!!!1!!!!!

jerseyboyslover
#6re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 7:21am

I love that song!...lol

Bruce Memblagh!
#7re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 7:24am

Despite my many criticisms of and reservations over Rent it I do like it overall, although for me it has become very dated and stale. It used to move me but now I just find elements of it pretentious and the emotion far too forced to have much effect on me nowadays. If I were a first time visitor to Rent I am sure it would be more powerful, though. The message underlying Rent is still relevant to some extent but I feel it is just going through the motions now and lacks impact.

I love the music (mostly) but the main problems with Rent for me though, and always has been, are the characters and the way Larson threw at them every possible dysfunction as if the aim is that just one strand will resonate with an audience. Putting too much in when less might well have been more. With the exception of Angel and Joanne, I find it hard to like them or care for them. All this bumming around, expecting the world do do them a favor when they sure as hell do nothing to warrant that...yikes, get over it and actively seek a job! I still wonder whether it would have attained such cult status had Larson been alive.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#8re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 10:19am

Yes. You're the ONLY one who doesn't like it.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=846430&boardname=bway

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#9re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 10:32am

Waht somebody does not like "Rent" this is the end of the world.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

JustABroadwaybaby2
#10re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 1:28pm

It is /not/ the end of the world. poeple have DIFFERENT opinions! Look at my favorite board "Unpopular Opinions you hold." You can write about stuff that you think you will get pelted with rocks for if you said it somewhere else!
unless you were kidding...
In that case... Ha.Ha.
I loved it, but it does get a little...you know... once you've seen it a couple of times. You know all the funny parts (i.e. THIS IS NOT MY BAR MITZVAH! in the movie) or any of the other funny parts in the movie or play. The play, in my opinion was better.
And you get tired. So that's ok...? -ducks-

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!
Updated On: 4/30/06 at 01:28 PM

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#11re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 1:30pm

I think the musical on broadway is better them the film.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

dancing 4 life
#12re: Rent
Posted: 4/30/06 at 10:21pm

im pretty sure that Rent is like amazinggg!!

Bruce Memblagh!
#13re: Rent
Posted: 5/1/06 at 7:06am

Actually amazing or "like" amazing ie) a pretty near fit!!!!????????

Urban
#14re: Rent
Posted: 5/1/06 at 7:46am

I'll bite.

I don't like it.

Here is why (yeah I just cut'n'pasted my answer from another thread):

I think RENT is off-Broadway rubbish that only became big due to the unfortunate death of Jonathon Larson and the morbid curiosity factor propelled the show to places it would never of gone (before anybody says anything I do think Jonathon Larson was talented and I believe would've become huge sooner or later). I think if Mr. Larson had never died, "RENT" would've been the "Brooklyn" of 1996.

Chopstitute Profile Photo
Chopstitute
#15re: Rent
Posted: 5/9/06 at 6:28pm

I personally think that there should be two boards for every musical. One for people who hate it, and one for people who love it. We all stay on our boards and everyone has a good time.

To The Stage!
#16re: Rent
Posted: 5/9/06 at 6:31pm

hah..wow there would be a whole lot of boards.

So afraid of getting older

I'm only good at being young

bigwill121
#17re: Rent
Posted: 5/9/06 at 6:38pm

Urban although you said you cut and pasted your commet I feel that it is a very glib interpretation. First and foremost the book and music to RENT is far stronger then that of Brooklyn. And by making the assertion that RENT's success is mainly because of the timely death of Larson is incorrect and foolish. Am I saying that RENT is the greatest show ever, by no means yes, what I am saying is that popularity of shows that have marathon runs such as Phantom, Chorus Line... attract a wide audience. RENT by some is the first legitmate rock opera since HAIR, whether that is true or not is not up to me to decide. But the bottom line is that RENT was able to appeal to a wide range of audiences that other shows of the time haven't been able to do.
Updated On: 5/9/06 at 06:38 PM

saschasf
#18re: Rent
Posted: 5/9/06 at 7:12pm

"think if Mr. Larson had never died, "RENT" would've been the "Brooklyn" of 1996."

Yes, the sob story is what did it for me. I do not mind if people dislike it. I realize it is sentimental and to some may seem simplistic. However, I get a bit irritated when people who don't like it, claim it has been around for ten years, because Larson met an untimely death. Now the initial buzz, yes, of course, his daeth "helped" that (I use the term "helped" very loosely here as I'm sure his family and friends would rather have him alive than have the explosion of press they got right after his death that porpelled Rent into something that became really well known.).) . However, musicals do not stay on Broadway for ten years, just because of a good backstory. Audiences gravitate to the story, and the music, and the energy. Almost 1,000 fans paid a hefty amount to go to the anniversary benefit, and the street was packed for the Rent lottery. You can say the fans were immature, they do not know real theater, they have overly simplistic views but I doubt any of them came just out of what? Pity for Larson? Morbid courosity at this point?
And whoever saiid that Larson gave his chracters all those dysfunctions is right. However, why I love the music so much is that I have never had to be homeless, a squatter , hiv +, a drug addict, gay, a transvestite, and yet I still relate to the characters so well. In each of them I see a little bit of myself. I never want to live that life of being "hungry and frozen". I do not find it romantic but the musical for me humanizes characters that society looks down upon, As a disabled woman, that is very, very powerful for me. Most of the time when I see or listen to the OBC Larson doesn't enter into my mind. (the exception was the benefit of course, but even then it was a momentary thing.) As for it being corny, well, I admit to been a cornball and proud of it!

sondwisenheimer Profile Photo
sondwisenheimer
#19re: Rent
Posted: 5/9/06 at 7:14pm

Hate it. That's why I own a condo.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#20re: Rent
Posted: 5/9/06 at 7:21pm

I saw the movie...it was okay, but I don't like it really except for a few songs. RENT is probably one of the only more recent cast recordings I do not own and do not plan on buying.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos