News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys- Page 2

Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys

aj88
#25Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 11:32am

I agree with many of the ones mentioned already:

Of course, in the case of Ronald Holgate, he was helped by the fact his co-star William Daniels successfully removed his name from the ballot. His one big song is pretty much all that his character has aside from few lines of dialogue and then he is out of the show for good after the infamous Scene Three before the But Mr. Adams.

Audra McDonald in RAGTIME: While she did lovely with the small amount of material she was given, the addition of "Your Daddy's Son" easily did it for her. I can still vividly hear and see that performance in my mind after 16 years.

Cady Huffman definitely won for When You Got It, Flaunt It, plus I do think the fact that she was IN The Producers got her caught up in its coattails and it was exactly a runaway category to begin with.

Andrea Martin BOTH times she won...the second for No Time at All and the first for the show business comedy song from My Favorite Year.

ChiTheaterFan
#26Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 11:49am

Although I thought Lena Hall was great throughout Hedwig and I wouldn't say it was solely a song that secured her Tony, I didn't really get what all the fuss was about until the end of midnight radio. Then I got it. And that's not even a whole song. It's like 1/5 of a song. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#27Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 1:14pm

I believe the role of elphaba is an endearing role, but I don't think it would be all to memorable without Defying Gravity in the shows so I believe Idina Menzel pretty much won just because I'd Defying Gravity.

Although that is a big moment in the show, it's not a complete role or show defining moment.  Elphaba has other big moments and arcs.  Besides that, the character pretty much carries the show, and the make-up regime alone is notable.  This is a case where one song doesn't define the award.

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#28Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 2:47pm

"I believe the role of elphaba is an endearing role, but I don't think it would be all to memorable without Defying Gravity in the shows so I believe Idina Menzel pretty much won just because I'd Defying Gravity.
Although that is a big moment in the show, it's not a complete role or show defining moment.  Elphaba has other big moments and arcs.  Besides that, the character pretty much carries the show, and the make-up regime alone is notable.  This is a case where one song doesn't define the award."

I think in terms of songs her big moments are "The Wizard and I", "Defying Gravity" and "No Good Deed". Here, there's just too many to say one say nailed in the win, rather it was consistently a great performance. 

Finch
#29Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 3:30pm

In this case, the song [A Fact Can be a Beautiful Thing] may be seen as the primary reason a performer to win their Tony.  Maian Mercer won the first Tony for this role in the original production of "Promises, Promises," and Katie Finneran won the second of her Tonys for the same role in the revival.

Updated On: 6/20/15 at 03:30 PM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#30Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 3:37pm

While I enjoyed "Looking for a boy" for Judy Kaye, I think "By Strauss" won it for Judy and Michael McGrath for Nice Work

The only review of a show that matters is your own.
Updated On: 6/20/15 at 03:37 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#31Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 3:55pm

Another one from this year, Michael Cerveris was great in Fun Home, but it wasn't until "Edges of The World" that I thought the Tony was his.

Actriz2
#32Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 4:45pm

Jane Krakowski for "A Call from the Vatican" in Nine

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#33Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 4:49pm

wish I could say Laura Benanti's "Model Behavior" for Women on the Verge of a Nervous won her the Tony Award, but, regardless, it definitely won her the Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards.

mattporter17
#34Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 4:57pm

"I wish I could say Laura Benanti's "Model Behavior" for Women on the Verge of a Nervous won her the Tony Award, but, regardless, it definitely won her the Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards."

Yeah, that one went to Sal Tlay Ka Siti, lol

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#35Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/20/15 at 5:30pm

"Folies Bergeres" for Liliane Montevecchi in the original production of Nine.

Interestingly, in early drafts of the script, Montevecchi's part of producer Liliane La Fleur was written to be played as a flamboyant queen in obvious drag. I'm not sure how long that idea stayed; it may have lasted up until the point director Tommy Tune decided to eliminate all the male characters from the show except for Guido. I saw an excellent student production at NYU 15 or 20 years ago where the director had received special permission to make changes based on original work notes and early scripts and Liliane was indeed played by a man. It worked fine.

mattporter17
#36Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/21/15 at 1:17pm

"Another one from this year, Michael Cerveris was great in Fun Home, but it wasn't until "Edges of The World" that I thought the Tony was his."

That song is so poweful. Definitely.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#37Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/21/15 at 4:59pm

I really wish I could say "Lot's Wife" for Tonya Pinkins...

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

AEA AGMA SM
#38Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/21/15 at 5:27pm

""Folies Bergeres" for Liliane Montevecchi in the original production of Nine.

Interestingly, in early drafts of the script, Montevecchi's part of producer Liliane La Fleur was written to be played as a flamboyant queen in obvious drag. I'm not sure how long that idea stayed; it may have lasted up until the point director Tommy Tune decided to eliminate all the male characters from the show except for Guido. I saw an excellent student production at NYU 15 or 20 years ago where the director had received special permission to make changes based on original work notes and early scripts and Liliane was indeed played by a man. It worked fine."

In the Samuel French edition of the script I have from some years back there are notes about which characters could be played by men and the adjustments (mostly switching around of pronouns, and of course the characters' names) to the dialogue if that option is chosen.

The story that I had heard was that La Fleur was set to be cast as a man but they were having trouble finding a suitable actor so they started seeing women. Liliane Montevecchi floored them with her audition and the role was hers. 

Gothampc
#39Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 10:26am

I believe that A New Argentina won Patti LuPone the Tony.  Don't Cry For Me Argentina is nice and the song everyone remembers, but it's not as exciting.  If Patti didn't have those high notes to belt, Ann Miller would have added a Sugar Babies Tony to her collection.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#40Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:06am

Ken Watanabe's "A Puzzlement" won Michael Cerveris his Tony

LarryD2
#41Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:11am

"The Oldest Profession" - Lillias White, THE LIFE

"You Can Always Count on Me" - Randy Graff, CITY OF ANGELS

"Diva's Lament" - Sara Ramirez, SPAMALOT

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#42Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:19am

"A Fact Can Be a Beautiful Thing"  Marian Mercer (1969) and Katie Finneran (2010)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#43Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:47am

I Hate the Bus - Anika Noni Rose

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

mbruth Profile Photo
mbruth
#44Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:53am

"Great Big Stuff" - Norbert in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

mattporter17
#45Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 12:02pm

"Ken Watanabe's "A Puzzlement" won Michael Cerveris his Tony"

How did that man even get the role, let alone get a nomination. One of the great mysteries of this past season.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#46Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 12:06pm

I believe that A New Argentina won Patti LuPone the Tony.  Don't Cry For Me Argentina is nice and the song everyone remembers, but it's not as exciting.  If Patti didn't have those high notes to belt, Ann Miller would have added a Sugar Babies Tony to her collection

I don't think A new Argentina was the reason for her win. Patti didn't sing that song in performances the way she sang it on the tonys. She shouted it through most of her run. I think what gave her the win was her whole performance and the way she put a new spin on the character that was completely different from Elaine Paige.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Iesha
#47Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 8:38pm

Elton John Electricity I know this is not the point of this thread. But been so stupidly worded I thought I will write this. Songs do not give performers tonys performances do.  One song especially does not give you a TONY 

Iesha
#48Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 8:41pm

Nikki M James was marvelous in BOM. She really did deserve the tony for a nuanced heartfelt performance   

mattporter17
#49Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 8:47pm

"Nikki M James was marvelous in BOM. She really did deserve the tony for a nuanced heartfelt performance   "

I didn't see her in the show (I saw it this past March) and I thought the role of Elder Price was more deserving than Nabulungi. I honestly didn't see anything special about that role.

Videos