News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys- Page 3

Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#50Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 10:14pm

I GOT LOVE

Miss Melba Moore

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#51Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:04pm

Audra McDonald- Mister Snow from Carousel 

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#52Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/23/15 at 8:31am

"My New Philosophy" for Kristen Chenowith in YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN

Gothampc
#53Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:24am

Songs do not give performers tonys performances do. One song especially does not give you a TONY

I have to partially disagree with this.  I think there are certain songs that certain performers have connected with and taken so far above the expectation that it has tipped in their favor.  You can feel the electricity when a performer completely nails a song.  I've only seen it a very few times, but the performer had the entire audience spellbound.

In addition, what do you do with the one song winners?  For example, Betty Buckley won for Grizabella in Cats.  You can't deny that the song Memory won her the award because Grizabella doesn't sing anything else and it's not like the character has a huge story arc.  She drags herself onstage, sings Memory, drags herself offstage, reappears and climbs a ladder.

Patti LuPone won an Olivier for playing Fantine in Les Miserables (yeah I know we're talking Tonys).  Fantine has one song and then dies.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

AEA AGMA SM
#54Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:40am

I think there is a difference between "the song won them their Tony" and "their performance of that one song won them their Tony." To me the first implies that the song is so good that anybody would have won the award for singing it onstage. In a way that discounts the actors' performances and everything they brought to that role. It implies the song is completely actor-proof, and judging by some of the horrible renditions of all of these songs you can find all over Youtube it's easy to see that is rarely, if ever, the case.

Most of the mentions here were great combinations of the right actor with the right material at the right time. Any slight change in that combination could have completely changed the way we view both these songs and these actors.

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#55Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:42am

"Songs do not give performers tonys performances do. One song especially does not give you a TONY
I have to partially disagree with this.  I think there are certain songs that certain performers have connected with and taken so far above the expectation that it has tipped in their favor.  You can feel the electricity when a performer completely nails a song.  I've only seen it a very few times, but the performer had the entire audience spellbound."

I realize this a tricky issue. What I meant in conception of this post was songs that are so grand and amazing that that was a main component of their win.

You make the point I was trying to make with your Patti-Olivier point. 

This thread has been very goos so far and I think the community has come up with a lot of good stuff.

Gothampc
#56Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:45am

In order to test this theory, I think Broadway needs to mount another production of "Promises, Promises" and see if the actress playing Marge wins a Tony.  Two for two so far with the role of Marge.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#57Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:52am

You make the point I was trying to make with your Patti-Olivier point. 

Actually, there has to be a big "exception" with that.  After I checked it, I realized that Patti was awarded the Olivier for two performances "Les Miserables" and "Cradle Will Rock."  I don't know why they tacked on "Cradle Will Rock" so one of the Brits will have to explain how the Oliviers work.

Updated On: 6/23/15 at 10:52 AM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#58Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:53am

I profoundly disagree with most of the suggestions in this thread.  Finnernan was delightful in the song 'A Fact Can Be a Beautiful Thing,' but nearly every word uttered from her mouth brought the house down.  The owl impression is something I remember more than the number.  The role may have been small, but from her entrance to her exit, she walked away with the show.  

After 'Call From the Vatican,' I knew that Krakowski had it in the bag...but still, the moment I most remember from her performance was her sitting quietly in a chair trying to put back together the divorce papers Guido had just torn in half.  It was devastating.  

Most of these performances were so complete from beginning to end.  The way McDonald gave herself over to Stokes at the end of NEW MUSIC was as affecting as her 'Daddy's Son.'  Even their silent dance together in Act 2 where they never touched reached a theatrical height that the entirety of Act 2 of RAGTIME couldn't replicate.  

The only two I really agree with are Buckley in CATS since it really is the only song she sings, and Andrea Martin in PIPPIN because, well, same.  

broadwaysfguy
#59Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 9:51am

I love this thread and any thread where i can discover great broadway songs and performances

thanks poster!

most of these actors won for much more than just the song attached, but these songs may have sealed the deal....

Billy Porter Kinky Boots-Hold me in your heart

Jessie Mueller-Beautiful-will you still love me tomorrow

Kelli O'Hara- the king and I-Getting to Know You

Heather Headley-aida-The Gods love Nubia

Matthew Broderick-How to Succeed-I believe In You

Nikki St James-Book of mormon-sal ta lay ka see tee

Balthazar Chasen
#60Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 12:57pm

Dee Dee Bridgewater singing If You Believe in The Wiz!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#61Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 3:14pm

She drags herself onstage, sings Memory, drags herself offstage, reappears and climbs a ladder.

She doesn't climb a ladder.  She rides on a flying tire.  DUH!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#62Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 5:26pm

"most of these actors won for much more than just the song attached, but these songs may have sealed the deal....

Heather Headley-aida-The Gods love Nubia"

I agree that her whole performance overall won her the Tony Award, but I'd single out "Easy As Life" as her showcase song rather than "The Gods Love Nubia".

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#63Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 6:24pm

Kelli O'Hara- the king and I-Getting to Know You

I think it was the gorgeous acting that won Kelli the Tony, and even if it was for a song it would be for Hello Young Lovers - not Getting to Know You (In y opinion, the worst song in the score).

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#64Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 6:53pm

" The only two I really agree with are Buckley in CATS since it really is the only song she sings, and Andrea Martin in PIPPIN because, well, same.  "

In the case of Andrea Martin, would you agree that it wasn't necessarily the song that won her the award, but instead it was equal parts the song, the unexpected and unique staging of the song, and her ability to handle what was asked of her?  I loved the scene, but I'd argue that several people deserved the recognition she received.

Has anyone ever won for a great performance of a poorly-staged rendition of a truly bad song?

mattporter17
#65Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 7:09pm

"In the case of Andrea Martin, would you agree that it wasn't necessarily the song that won her the award, but instead it was equal parts the song, the unexpected and unique staging of the song, and her ability to handle what was asked of her?  I loved the scene, but I'd argue that several people deserved the recognition she received."

I think you're right: it was definitely a combination of Schwartz's song, her ability, and Paulus' staging.

broadwaysfguy
#66Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 7:29pm

hi piano mann

great minds think alike 

I was 50-50 on suggesting either easy as life or gods love nubia, both complete showstoppers that were EXTRAORDINARY

would love an aida broadway revival SOON

Actriz2
#67Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/24/15 at 7:53pm

"Kelli O'Hara- the king and I-Getting to Know You

I think it was the gorgeous acting that won Kelli the Tony, and even if it was for a song it would be for Hello Young Lovers - not Getting to Know You (In y opinion, the worst song in the score).
 "

I would argue that it was a scene - not a song - that won Kelli the Tony. When she was defending Tuptim from the King during the whipping scene (particularly with her delivery of the "you are a barbarian" line) I thought she had the Tony in the bag.

mattporter17
#68Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/25/15 at 2:18pm

I think Kelli getting the Tony had a little more to do then just her King and I performance. It was Kristin's powerhouse performance vs. 6 amazing performances for Kelli O'Hara.

Balthazar Chasen
#69Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/26/15 at 3:28pm

SUPPERTIME from YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE, BROWN for Roger Bart as Snoopy.  Although it was probably the holistic totality of his performance that won him the Tony, his knockout delivery of SUPPERTIME certainly didn't hurt. 

mattporter17
#70Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/26/15 at 11:20pm

Oh, here's one: Chenowith - Charlie Brown!

Updated On: 6/26/15 at 11:20 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#71Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/26/15 at 11:43pm

It's Not Where you Start it's where you finish... Tommy Tune and Seesaw.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#72Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/28/15 at 7:52pm

How about "Music of the Night" for Michael Crawford?

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#73Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/29/15 at 6:39am

The Impossible Dream/ Richard Kiley.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#74Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys
Posted: 6/29/15 at 6:52am

As great as Christian Borle is in Rotten, I'm sure "Will Power" lent a helping hand to his Tony.  Too bad we couldn't see any of his performance on the Tony's.  I agree with the number they showed though.  That was a great way to start the show.

Videos