News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Official "HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17" Thread

The Official "HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17" Thread

being.jeremiah
#1The Official "HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17" Thread
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:12pm

Who didn't see it coming? Good thing I saw it before it opened (and, soon, closed).

"The musical High Fidelity will end its run on Broadway at the Imperial Theatre (249 West 45 Street) following the evening performance on Sunday, December 17. The musical -- which began previews on November 20th and opened December 7th -- will have played 18 preview performances and 14 regular performances.

Directed by Walter Bobbie, High Fidelity has music by Tom Kitt, lyrics by Amanda Green and book by David Lindsay-Abaire.

The musical is produced on Broadway by Jeffrey Seller, Kevin McCollum, Robyn Goodman, Live Nation, Roy Miller, Dan Markley, Ruth Hendel/Danzansky Partners and Jam Theatricals.

"High Fidelity is a new musical comedy based on the best-selling novel by Nick Hornby," state notes. The show "tells the story of Rob, a record store owner who knows almost everything there is to know about pop music, but almost nothing about how to hold on to a girl. Rob's love life, already a broken record of heartache, falls off the charts completely when he gets dumped by Laura….but that just sets him up for one of the top 5 romantic comebacks ever."

High Fidelity stars Will Chase (Lennon, Rent and Aida) as Rob and Jenn Colella (Urban Cowboy) as Laura. They are joined in the 14-member cast by Jay Klaitz as Barry and Christian Anderson as Dick (who play the colorful clerks in Rob's record store Championship Vinyl), Jeb Brown as Ian (Rob and Laura's New Age-intensive upstairs neighbor), as well as Rachel Stern, Emily Swallow, Kirsten Wyatt, Caren Lyn Manuel and Anne Warren (who portray the women from Rob's checkered romantic past). High Fidelity is choreographed by Christopher Gattelli (Altar Boyz, Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me).

Through December 17th, the musical will play Tuesday through Friday at 8 p..m., Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 and 7 p.m.

For tickets, call Tele-charge at 212 239 6200."
Updated On: 12/12/06 at 06:12 PM

BroadwayNick Profile Photo
BroadwayNick
#1re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:13pm

This is really sudden. I thought it'd close soon but not this soon.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. --Dave Berry

shesamarshmallow
#2re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:13pm

Damn me and actually writing something in my post! I knew someone would get there before me.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#3re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:14pm

Oh boy....
***waiting for the floodgate of threads to open***

That sucks, I would've never in a million years thought it would close that soon. A few months maybe, but that's just embarrassing!

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#4re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:15pm

I'm agreeing with MotorTink, that is embarrassing!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:16pm

In the old days, with the reviews they got, it would have closed opening night Some 1 performance wonders:

Gantry
Billy
Here's Where I Belong

Poster Emeritus

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#6re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17

Wow, those producers clearly know how to give a show a chance..

bwayondabrain
#6re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17

My prediction was wrong! I thought it would at least hold out till the New Year, but the producers really decided to give up fast. But I guess no reason to lose more money!
But wow. That was quick.

thevolleyballer
#8re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:17pm

What a shame. Honestly. What a damn, damn shame.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#9re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:17pm

WOW! That's really sudden! Sooner than Lestat...I am definitely going this Saturday! Who's coming?

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#10re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:20pm

Damn. I guess this means I have to try the lotto this weekend.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Parks
#11re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:21pm

Sad. I hope the cast finds work again soon.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

shesamarshmallow
#12re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:21pm

Guess I'll add the thoughts from my other post here, since you have deemed this "official" :)

Now Amour isn't the shortest run of this century! Hooray!
And I bought tickets to the last performance of this show months and months ago. Crazy! I'll be there Sunday night!

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#13re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:22pm

Also, does it have student rush?

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:23pm

In a way, I can see why the producers decided to cut their loses. With the next 3 months being dead time on Broadway, they probably figured it would get no better. Brantley & the gang sure know how to nurture new talent

This reminds me of the composers of The Yearling. The music I have heard from it is great but they apparently decided not to try again after putting time & effort into a show they believed in only to have untalented hacks tear it apart

A shame

Poster Emeritus

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17

Yay for flops!!!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#16re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17

Will the evening or the matinee be the final performance?

Where/how can I get th cheapest ticket possible?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

thevolleyballer
#17re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:24pm

I honestly am very perturbed by this. It's just ridiculous. When I saw the show out of town, it was just fantastic, and I absoluetly loved it. The music is awesome, and it got stuck with a theatre three times the size it should be.

I hate the monetary of aspect of everything, and wish that theatre could thrive without finances having to be a factor. If there's no cast album released, I'll definitely become a bryan-esque figure.

bwayondabrain
#18re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17

According to my own little calculations, these may be wrong, but including previews, this show wouldv'e played 32 performances
Wow
And All_For_Laura, there is only lottery!

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#19re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17

Since this was supposed to take up the theater for at least a few months, what's the process of starting a new show up there? Will it be a 6 months, 1 year, etc? Just wondering.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#20re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:25pm

I loved the music

You could do a real life Producers because Broadway is such a crapshoot you stand a good chance of succeeding with shows that are entertaining

Poster Emeritus

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#21re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:27pm

and it got stuck with a theatre three times the size it should be.

Didn't a lot of people say it and Les Mis should have switched (for slightly obvious reasons)? I think the Broadhurst is smaller than the Imperial, anyway. I could be wrong about that, though.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#22re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:28pm

This is devastating to me. I'll be at the last performance.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:30pm

Again, is the final performance the matinee or the evening?

Thanks!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#24re: HIGH FIDELITY CLOSING 12.17
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:31pm

The article here on BWW says that the evening performance is the final.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Videos