News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .- Page 4

Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#75re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:53am

I'm surprised A Chorus Line hasn't made it onto more of your lists...

I find it impossible to make a Top Ten but I'm sure that ACL would be up there...

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#76re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:56am

I like "A Chorus Line" and a few others as well like "Beauty and The Beast" as well.

Facebook...ME !!!

joeybiltmore1
#77re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:06am

My personal top 10 musicals ever written (not specific productions):

Carousel
Guys and Dolls
The Music Man
Fiddler on the Roof
A Little Night Music
A Chorus Line
Annie
Sweeney Todd
Dreamgirls
Hairspray

I know I picked 11 - honorable mention to ...Forum, The King & I, Damn Yankees, Nine and Evita.

jarred03
#78re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:28am

I love this discussion. It's only the 349th time we've had this argument. This argument is more classical than Brooklyn.lol.

Anyway, that being said I think that a top ten list should consist of a mix of classical, modern, controversial, artistic, funny, magical, and fluffy shows.

Here's my list in no particular order:

Avenue Q
Cabaret
Here Lies Jenny
Wicked
Chicago
Carousel
Wonderful Town
Full Monty
Annie Get Your Gun
CONTACT(almost forgot about this masterpiece oops!)

However, I would like to point out that I have never seen such greats, but love the soundtracks to The Producers, Sweeney Todd, Dreamgirls, Hairspray(seeing in May), and many more.

Ican tell you that the worst is FAME, I did not wanna live forever after seeing that garbage.lol.

iheartmark
#79re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:29am

My faves: (in no particular order)

RENT
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Avenue Q
Children of Eden
Wicked
Jane Eyre (Yes, I know, I'm a COMPLETE loser)
Closer Than Ever (just struck a chord with me, I don't know why particularly)
Suessical

Honorable Mention: Little Shop of Horrors (not my favorite show, actually, but seeing Anthony Rapp in it gave it SOOO many cool points lol!)
Have a nice day everyone
Les Miserables (Not originally on my list, but after being in it I HAVE to add it!!)
Into The Woods (I've been a fan since I was 8 years old lol)

"Kali, why is Roger on a cliff?" "Because the cliff is love, Rachel." "Oh."

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#80re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:48am

In no peticular order...

1) Rent
2) Jesus Christ Superstar
3) Phantom of the Opera
4) Man of La Mancha
5) Les Miserables
6) Guys and Dolls
7) The Music Man
re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . . Tick... Tick.. BOOM!
9) Oliver!
10) Avenue Q

iheartmark
#81re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:52am

Man of La Mancha--that one surprises me...I don't care for that show much... well anyway YAY for JCS ^^

"Kali, why is Roger on a cliff?" "Because the cliff is love, Rachel." "Oh."

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#82re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 2:01am

in no order

Sweeney Todd (Best Ever!)
Company
Rent
Wicked
Phantom of the Opera
How to Suceed
Sunday in the Park With George
Funny Girl
Miss Saigon
Assassins (It's just so differnt that I love it, its so complex yet simple)

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Sant
#83re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 6:57am

1. CHICAGO
2. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
3. THE KING AND I
4. RAGTIME
5. CATS
6. SHOW BOAT
7. WICKED
8. MAN OF LA MANCHA
9. THE SOUND OF MUSIC
10. HAIRSPRAY

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#84re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 7:12am

West Side Story
A Chorus Line
My Fair Lady
Sweeney Todd
Fiddler on the Roof
Dreamgirls
Nine
Hair
Rent
Chicago

Elizabeth_DeBris
#85re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 8:41am

Augh, how did I forget A Chorus Line? I guess that brings my list up to 12, now.

kas Profile Photo
kas
#86re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 8:48am

Can't help it but I would add Once On This Island and Zanna to the many great shows already listed....

MusicalDirector109
#87re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 10:11am

In no particular order:
"Oklahoma!"
"Carousel"
"My Fair Lady"
"West Side Story"
"Gypsy"
"Sweeney Todd"
"Cabaret"
"Fiddler on the Roof"
"Hairspray"
"Mame"

ikmbway
#88re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 10:31am

I'm not into Sondheim so my list won't be great but I will say my favorite musicals. Some may be off broadway but you get the picture. Pretty much its not the best musicals ever but to me they are.

1. RENT!!
2. Wicked
3. Avenue Q (i hope to see it soon but by the music)
4. Tick Tick BOOM
5. not sure if it counts but the music to Bare is awesome
6. Little Shop of Horrors
7. Aida
8. Footloose
9. Grease
10. umm....i guess Les Miz only because it was a great show and my mom is obsessed with it and i've listened to it.

Lome2 Profile Photo
Lome2
#89re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 10:47am

- Phantom of the Opera
- Les Miserables
- Woman in White
- Sweeney Todd
- Cabaret
- Sound of Music
- Chicago
- The Beautiful Game
- Miss Saigon
- Into the Woods

pab Profile Photo
pab
#90re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 11:47am

Link

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#91re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 11:56am

My 12 - couldn't narrow it down to 10...

1. Gypsy
2. The King and I
3. Sweeney Todd
4. Sunday in the Park with George
5. The Sound of Music
6. Into the Woods
7. The Music Man
8. Fiddler on the Roof
9. Carousel
10.Nine
11.Oliver
12.Brigadoon

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#92re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 11:57am

1. Gypsy
2. The King and I
3. Sweeney Todd
4. Sunday in the Park with George
5. The Sound of Music
6. Into the Woods
7. The Music Man
8. Fiddler on the Roof
9. Carousel
10.Nine
11.Oliver
12.Brigadoon

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#93re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 11:59am

Hahahahaha, smartass.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Blonde Profile Photo
Blonde
#94re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:14pm

well I'm only going to make a list based on what I've seen or at least listened to (which doesn't include the likes of Dreamgirls and Sweeney Todd...yes I know I lose since I still haven't rented it) :)so in no particular order

-Into the Woods
-The Last 5 Years
-Ragtime
-Passion
-Avenue Q
-Caroline, or Change
-West Side Story
-My Fair Lady
-Gypsy
-Rent

shalom kitty

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#95re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:17pm

(In no particular order..)
Avenue Q
Rent
Sweeney Todd (sp? of "Swee---")
La Cage Aux Folles
Cabaret
42nd Street
Bare: A Pop Opera (yeah, I know it was Off-Bway)
Into The Woods
Sunday In The Park With George
Little Shop of Horrors

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

elphieisperky
#96re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:22pm

Can I just say 5? Most of the musicals I've seen havn't been that good:

1. Rent
2. Les Miz
3. Wicked (sorry guys, had to)
4. Ave. Q
5. Into the Woods

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#97re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:57pm

"I agree with everyone...shows like Guys and Dolls, Porgy and Bess, Oklahoma, Anything Goes are def. classics and great shows...probably the best....and im not trying to be all defensive or anything lol, but I do feel that Wicked...and even Avenue Q and Rent have changed theatre history. I dont think there has ever been a show so...popular lol?...as Wicked or Rent. I personally love both and see much more than just costumes and sets when I see Wicked....but yeah....thats just my opinion. :) all good"

"[why pick on sara? it's her opinion. she wasn't being offensive.]"

So I guess it's OK to say there are "white people" shows but it's a crime to say "black people" shows? Yes - she was offensive. However, she is probably young and ignorant, so I won't take her too seriously.

As for changing history - DUH! There is no question that AVE Q, WICKED, BROOKLYN, and especially RENT have changed theatre history. BUT - that is not the topic of this thread! The topic of this thread is "Top 10 Best Musicals ever..." with the keyword being "ever."

I will criticize sara for her opinions, because to think WICKED is one of the top 10 best shows ever, without seeing a nice variety of musicals, is ignorant.

Yes, she should have changed the topic to "Top 10 Personal Favorite Musicals."

But again, she is young and has just joined the boards, so I will overlook it.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#98re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:32pm

Okay one thing I have to add, I totally have to agree with this being favorites opposed to best, as someone else mentioned, to choose the best you'd have to see every musical ever made. Or perhaps it could have been top 10 best musicals you've seen or something.

But I do have to respectfully disagree with some of you. While I respect the works, I tend to prefer modern musicals much more to some of "classics." We did the Music Man two years ago, and I really hated the show, it's just too happy for me. I recently saw Hello, Dolly! at a High School and got the same impression. I just associate a lot of great musicals with darkness and drama and don't feel that some of the classics carry it so well. Just my opinion.

That doesn't mean some classics I don't love. While as I've said numerous times, my BWW name shows you my favorite shows, I think it's hard to deny in my opinion that West Side Story is among one of the best musicals ever. The way it uses dance to tell a story, it's phenomenal score, it's clever adaptation, it's influence is leaning towards darker musicals. So see, I agree with some "classics," disagree with some others.

And one more point that slightly bothers me. Again, maybe this just stems from the whole favorite vs. best thing, but it seems an awful lot as soon as anyone says Wicked is the best or favorite(correct me if it's simply best or not favorite), you tend to assume they have not seen enough musical theatre. I have seen all kinds of shows, over 30 live, and numerous others on movies, as those are the only ones available to me. And I am not ashamed to admit that Wicked is my favorite show--sure it has it's flaws and it's probably not as well done or influential as say West Side Story, but I just love that show and I love to see it and yeah.

Okay, sorry for my rant. For the record, I do agree that perhaps Brooklyn in the top 10 isn't great, but yeah.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#99re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 1:36pm

MY FAIR LADY
HELLO DOLLY
MAME
GYPSY
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
A CHORUS LINE
DREAMGIRLS