News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Very moving play experiences- Page 2

Very moving play experiences

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#25Very moving play experiences
Posted: 11/20/15 at 9:29am

The final moments of "Grapes of Wrath".

The final moments of "Angels in America: Millenium Approaches".

"The Normal Heart" revival. Somehow it resonated much more to me than the original did during the crisis. Remembering that time was more profound than when we were living it, somehow, and the performances...wow.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

electrode10
#26Very moving play experiences
Posted: 11/20/15 at 9:36am

Like many others mentioned, The Normal Heart. Not in all my years of theatre going have I ever experienced the entire theatre exit in complete silence.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#27Very moving play experiences
Posted: 11/20/15 at 2:02pm

The first time I was moved, not to tears, but moved to understand how powerful a play can be was "August: Osage County" - That final moment when Violet sprints up those three flights of stairs to the attic and lies in the arms of Johnna, crying "And then they're gone" - very powerful. 

As far as moved to tears, it's happened a few times, most recently Whorl Inside a Loop, but as far as having a "Cathartic moment, the first time was the revival of "Journey's End" - My brother was in Afghanistan at the time, so I had a more personal connection to the piece than I otherwise would have had, and in those last three minutes when the lights go down and the theatre is filled with the sounds of war, followed by silence, which is followed by the curtain slowly being lifted again, revealing all the characters who have died in memoriam, with the backdrop of hundreds of names of those who died in battle, I was a mess. I couldn't leave my seat, and just sat there and cried while my partner tried to console me as best he could. I cried for the next twenty minutes. 

the second and most recent time was "Airline Highway" - I don't know WHY it touched my so much, but it did. There was a moment when the heartbreaking Julie White looks at Bait boy's girlfriend and just says "You're so pretty"..... at that moment I could see the hopelessness and the Meaningless of these people's existences. I felt so sorry for them, probably because I grew up in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, and felt like I knew a lot of these characters, or at least they reminded me of some of my friends from home. I cried on the N train all the way home that night. I'll never forget it. 

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#28Very moving play experiences
Posted: 11/20/15 at 2:43pm

I usually see musicals when I go to Broadway for some reason so my moving play experiences are not from NYC. 

I remember seeing "lulu" at Berkeley Rep and being absolutely blown away. It was one of those shows that has haunted me for years. I still remember the end with Jack the Ripper literally holding Lulu's lips in his hands "saying such a pretty mouth... such a pretty pretty mouth" -- haunting and stunning. 

I was also absolutely memorized with the Shakespeare Theatre Company (in Washington DC) and their production of Argonautika. Mary Zimmerman made the play pop with color light and brilliance. 

And finally, I was a wee lad but I knew when I saw it that I was in the audience of greatness when I was able to see Rex Harrison & Claudette Colbert in London in a production of "Aren't We All" -- The play have been silly to me but I knew that I would probably never have a chance to see these two classics together on stage. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

madlibrarian
#29Very moving play experiences
Posted: 11/20/15 at 2:43pm

The Miracle Worker.

jwsel
#30Very moving play experiences
Posted: 11/20/15 at 5:35pm

lotiloti said: "Nothing will ever top Derek Jacobi as Cyrano in the 1983 RSC production. I have never known such depth of emotion in a theatre. I wept for at least the last 40 mins, It was filmed & shown by C4, I think in 1985. Would be overjoyed should it be released on DVD/BD.

"

Would you settle for YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPe_J9HUmI   It was a brilliant production.  I saw it when the RSC performed in Los Angeles in 1984 for the Olympic Arts Festival.  It was in rep with a brilliant Much Ado About Nothing starring Jacobi and Sinead Cusack.

Videos