News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

West End suggestions

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#1West End suggestions
Posted: 8/10/24 at 5:55pm

I know there are assorted West End posts here and there but for expediency, I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a trip this month. All ideas welcome. Thanks!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2West End suggestions
Posted: 8/10/24 at 6:06pm

My top 4 that will still be open:

1) Next to Normal

2) Operation Mincemeat

3) The Hot Wing King

4) Starlight Express

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

pacificnorthwest
#3West End suggestions
Posted: 8/10/24 at 6:19pm

Thank you!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#4West End suggestions
Posted: 8/10/24 at 7:38pm

Agree that Next to Normal and Operation Mincemeat should be at the top of the list. 

I have not seen, but there are fans of the new special Starlight Express and the longer playing ABBA Voyage. Also, Stranger Things - but it's coming to NYC next March. 

Fiddler on the Roof at the Regents Park Open Air Theatre has received some excellent reviews and apparently "sunrise, sunset" begins right around the actual sunset time.

Mischief Movie Night might be worth a go - from the people behind The Play That Goes Wrong and other "goes wrong" shows. An improvised "film" each night.  Only to 1 September. 

Two Strangers if you get Gift and Tutty.

For something different:

Posters over on theatreboard seemed to like Viola's Room by Punchdrunk - an immersive experience.

pacificnorthwest
#5West End suggestions
Posted: 8/10/24 at 11:06pm

This is great! Thanks!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#6West End suggestions
Posted: 8/11/24 at 2:43pm

Other standard notes:

Read through theatreboard.co.uk  message board for advice on shows

Use theatremonkey.com for seating charts/advice and reports on day seats (rush)

TodayTix is a prime source for day seats(rush) and lotteries. But, is not always the least expensive alternative for tickets. Asking at Box Office frequently is best option. 

pacificnorthwest
#7West End suggestions
Posted: 8/14/24 at 12:48pm

Thanks! I really appreciate all the advice here. Wish I could say it was for me, as it's been about a million years since I've been to a West End show, but it's for a friend who will be in London soon for six nights.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#8West End suggestions
Posted: 8/14/24 at 12:56pm

Kathy and Stella’s murder podcast is a fun night at the theatre. Nothing groundbreaking but I laughed a ton. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#9West End suggestions
Posted: 8/17/24 at 9:16pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Kathy and Stella’s murder podcast is a fun night at the theatre. Nothing groundbreaking but I laughed a ton."

Agreed. A cross between Romy & Michele's High School Reunion and Only Murders In The Building. 

WARNING: The stage is very high - and sitting in the first four or five rows of the stalls can lead to neck pain - but those seats are much less expensive! 

Updated On: 8/17/24 at 09:16 PM

Videos