News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 6:48pm

Watching it now, I can't even fathom how they decided to make this film 3-D. It's the oddest property for 3-D. Is there a back-story behind the crazy who thought a musical in 3-D would be a great idea?

Yankeefan007
#2re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 6:51pm

According to Robert Osborne, it was filmed at the tail-end of cinema's 3D craze. No rhyme or reason, just that.

fbueller
#2re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 6:53pm

The 3-D craze at that time was driven by the thought that movies needed to offer something extra to compete with the new medium of TV. Without new features in movies, why would people leave home to still go to the theater?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#3re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 6:53pm

It's actually fantastic in 3-D. The Film Forum here occasionally shows it. I couldn't say who thought it was a great idea for 3-D treatment, but KMK is great fun when you see it that way and certain shots and moments suddenly make sense, like Ann Miller throwing ribbons at the screen, or that unit that Howard Keel is standing on for "Where Is The Life That Late I Led?" And Tommy Rall's ass looks great in three dimension.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 1/12/08 at 06:53 PM

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#4re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 7:09pm

Saw it in #D at the local revival house a few years ago; I agree, not much reason to do it in #D, but DAMN the depth perception you get in some shots is amazing.

Like backstage scenes where both the foreground and the background action (onstage) are in focus!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:12pm

I saw it in 3 D years ago @ a 3 D film festiva

It was great & made the dancing so much better.

Poster Emeritus

Miss.Vanessi
#6re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:19pm

It was a gimmick to get people in the theaters, and away from their fancy new televisions. I've never seen any reason why Kiss Me Kate was chosen, but George Sidney certainly did a great job with it. And the wardrobe department held nothing back where it came to Kathryn Grayson and the mens' costumes, hmm?
It's said that Kathryn couldn't watch it all the way through, back when it was released, in 3-D. The glasses made her nauseous.

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

Ed_Mottershead
#7re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:25pm

I saw it when it first came out. It was part of a fad that soon had its day, but at the time, the thinking was that this was the voice of the future.

BroadwayEd

DeadParrot2 Profile Photo
DeadParrot2
#8re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:28pm

It really is a pretty good movie, though I'm not crazy about the extra storyline with Cole Porter. Still, I get the giggles everytime Ann Miller starts throwing ribbons at me. I'd love to see it in 3-D sometime.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:29pm

One reason 3 D died was it cost more to film & they started putting every movie in 3 D

3 D now is so much better & is used sparingly. I saw many 3 D films & only 1 gave me a headache. 3 D movies on tape or DVD do not do it at all

Poster Emeritus

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#10re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/12/08 at 11:52pm

At the time it was believed that every picture would be in 3D, even Hitchcock used it. A little trivia about "Kiss Me Kate". It open at Thanksgiving at Radio City Music Hall flat for technical reasons. The process needed more light than the regular prints and the Hall was so big and the projectors so far up in the back of the auditorium, there wasn't enough light to get the 3D effect through out the screen. That Christmas the picture did open wider throughout the NY are in 3D.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#11re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:16am

M-g-M might have thought that a 3-D film of a Broadway show might communicate more of a live theatre experiences to movie fans.

Can you imagine SWEENEY TODD in 3-d???

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#12re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:45am

Having seen it in 3D, I think that's the best thing about it. Otherwise, it's pretty horrible, imo.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#13re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 1:37am

I love the movie and I really want to see it in 3-D

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#14re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 1:44am

What do people consider legitimate properties for 3-D? Just horror and sci-fi?

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#15re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 4:18am

The British Film Institute show it every year or so at their huge purpose build IMAX/3D theatre in Londons Waterloo if you ever fancy seeing it in when your in London. They publish their schedules a good way in advance. It looks stunning in 3D but rather lame on TV.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 1/13/08 at 04:18 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#16re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 4:44am

I wish they would release it on dvd in 3-D

....but the world goes 'round

RetroBoy
#17re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 7:40am

Nothing like seeing a young Howard Keel in tights in 3-D. re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#18re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 7:44am

I heard that they showed it with smell once, when there was the smell-o-vision craze...

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

Actor2
#19re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 8:54am

I really like the show. 3-D may have made the movie more interesting to watch since I did not like it in the first place.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#20re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 10:21am

You can't beat Ann 'Five-Hundred-Taps-A-Minute' Miller in 3-D!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21re: Why Was Kiss Me Kate in 3-D?
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:17pm

How true.

Poster Emeritus

Videos