News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Will Funny Girl transfer?

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#1Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 6:13pm

I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on this. I'm dying to see this production and wanted to know if anyone thought/heard of a transfer

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#2Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 6:27pm

Yes. It transferred from the Menier to the Savoy.

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#3Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 6:38pm

I guess I should've been clearer! Do you think it will transfer to Broadway? 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 6:57pm

Personally, I doubt it. I saw it when I was in London in January and Sheridan Smith is fantastic, but I don't think she will sell many tickets in the US. They could re-cast her, I suppose, but the production (while pretty solid, IMO) is not so groundbreaking that it needs to come to the US with a different star. From what I gather, she is the reason this production has been so successful. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#5Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:14pm

Sheridan doesn't want to do the show anymore. Her father got sick, and she publicly tweeted that she was going to sue the production team (and then deleted it), so I highly highly doubt it would transfer with her because of this alone, even if she was a big name. I can't imagine things are very funny backstage over at the Savoy.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#6Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:38pm

Is it worth traveling to London for? 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#7Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:39pm

I'm still confiding in my secret dream of an Annaleigh Ashford-helmed revival one day. If there is a Theatre God...

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#8Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:47pm

She'd be amazing but after seeing Cynthia Erivo in "The Color Purple" I really want to see her in the role 

Jiam
#9Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:48pm

CindersGolightly said: "Sheridan doesn't want to do the show anymore. Her father got sick, and she publicly tweeted that she was going to sue the production team (and then deleted it), so I highly highly doubt it would transfer with her because of this alone, even if she was a big name. I can't imagine things are very funny backstage over at the Savoy.

I think they could have closed or got her understudy to do the show. Sure I would have been disappointed. But family comes first.

"

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:52pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "If there is a Theatre God..."

Funny, I would finish that sentence in exactly the opposite way as you would, with regards to Annaleigh as Fanny Brice. 

Diva_Dom said "Is it worth traveling to London for?"

We really can't make that call for you. I'm really glad I saw it, but I didn't go to London just to see it. If you would like to go to London and see a bunch of shows and have a fun time being a tourist in London, and also see Funny Girl, go for it! 

Updated On: 4/11/16 at 07:52 PM

kimalysong
#11Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 8:32pm

I know it's a long shot because sadly a lot of Americans don't know who Sheridan is but I am really hoping it will. That would be a day 1 purchase for me. Actually I won't lie Id be happy to see Sheridan in any show in Broadway. 

I am a huge fan of hers and I'd love to see her live on stage.  Maybe one day I can go to London to see her but that is not in the cards right now. 

Updated On: 4/11/16 at 08:32 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#12Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 8:39pm

I love Sher and it would be wonderful for to her cross the pond and be introduced to American audiences, but firstly, I think the Broadway rights are still likely held by Ryan Murphy and secondly, the NY Times review of this production was not favorable. That alone may crush its chances.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#13Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 8:45pm

I think the Broadway rights are still likely held by Ryan Murphy.

Ryan Murphy already revealed in a interview a few months ago that his plans for Funny Girl were put on hold...
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Ryan-Murphy-Says-FUNNY-GIRL-Starring-Lea-Michele-Is-on-the-Back-Burner-20151026

nasty_khakis
#14Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 9:18pm

Yes, but Murphy still technically owns the rights. He could sell them, thought.

I'm traveling to London tomorrow and seeing this Friday. I can't wait. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#15Will Funny Girl transfer?
Posted: 4/11/16 at 9:31pm

Well, I don't think Murphy "bought" the rights -- I think he just optioned the first class Broadway rights. We don't know how long he optioned them for, though. Certainly not indefinitely.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Videos