News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

delete

Fosse76
#50re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:54pm

"Well, Brian d'Arcy James has a very difficult role"

Oh please. Shrek? Difficult? That's laughable. Those three boys deserve the Tony...they do more in their two performances a week than d'Arcy james does in an entire month.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#51re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:57pm

I'm going to have to get to Notting Hill one day, especially if it's got a cupcake shop. Is Hummingbird Bakery worth the trip? Perhaps you found some delicious cupcakes nearer Theatreland? Something near the river would be fab, I'm in town again on Thursday and could do with delicious baking. If not a cupcake, perhaps a trip to Ben's Cookies is in order...

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#52re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 6:05pm

Hey Weez!
Did you know there's a cup cake cafe opposite Dress Circle???
Expensive, but......
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 06:05 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#53re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 6:08pm

I was recommended Hummingbird specifically, so that was a special trip, but they were excellent. Plus, it was my first trip to Notting Hill, which was fun. I did have some rather exquisite yummies (including cupcakes) during tea at the Haymarket Hotel which I cannot recommend highly enough. Service was spectacular.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

houselightsout Profile Photo
houselightsout
#54re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 9:41pm

The Billys do more than the lead in Shrek? Seriously? Because what...they dance?

Okaaaay. And there seems to be some belief that the boys are more deserving because they're young. Don't younger actors have more energy? More flexibility? More stamina? So where's the miracle that they can last two shows per week in a dance role?

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#55re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:01pm

Take ALL the dance out of the picture and the boys in Billy Elliot STILL have a larger acting challenge than the actor - ANY actor - inside that rubber costume. If you can't see that then there's no point in carrying on this debate.

Meow!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#56re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:06pm

Take ALL the dance out of the picture and the boys in Billy Elliot STILL have a larger acting challenge than the actor - ANY actor - inside that rubber costume. If you can't see that then there's no point in carrying on this debate.

The problem is that none of the boys are very good actors. Dancers yes, actors, no.

sgv123
#57re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 10:10pm

I actually think that their acting (for the most part) are some of their strong points.
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 10:10 PM

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#58re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 11:10pm

the Tony award nominees for best cake recipe are:

red velvet cake
chocolate/vanilla/strawberry
ice cream cake
mint chocolate chip.

key lime pie is awarded a special award for excellence.

any cake more then a single layer was disqualified therefore 3 layer cake is not in the running. carrot cake was included in last years race.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

houselightsout Profile Photo
houselightsout
#59re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/12/09 at 8:12am

Then I guess there's no point in continuing the debate, because it's very unlikely we'll ever agree.

I wish I thought Billy Elliot was as moving as so many others seem to think it is, but I felt manipulated by overproduction and the very weak score undermines what could have been an emotional powerhouse of a show. The Billy I saw, Kiril Kulisch, was wonderful as a dancer, but was his the best performance of the year? Not in my opinion. I loved J. Robert Spencer's portrayal of a man who's desperate to keep his family together.

FMills
#60re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/12/09 at 10:16am

Let's try to keep this on topic, people.

re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#61re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/12/09 at 2:34pm

Ha, FMills-- best post so far! It takes the cake...

Sorry.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Videos