News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?- Page 2

what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?

VintageSnarker
#25what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 2:00am

If you have any interest in Shakespeare at all... Len Cariou's Broadway and the Bard

desperateAndee Profile Photo
desperateAndee
#26what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/15/16 at 2:05pm

I just saw Danai Gurira's FAMILIAR @ Playwrights Horizons. Was a wonderful night at the theatre. Lots of laughs, lots of heart and lots of secrets. The set is stunning. Gurira is a Queen this season. Off Bway AND Bway (Eclipsed). Highly reccomend it. 

Updated On: 2/15/16 at 02:05 PM

jbm2
#27what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/17/16 at 2:23am

I think Red Speedo looks interesting

jbm2
#28what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 2:18pm

Has anyone seen Nice Fish yet?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 2:24pm

Saw up here in Cambridge, there's a thread.  It's odd and good.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jbird5
#30what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 2:41pm

Straight at the Acorn (Theater Row) is pretty good. It might best be appreciated by millenials. I really liked I & You at 59e59. It closes next Saturday.

jbird5
#31what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:00pm

Didn't see that you had specifically asked about Straight. The cast is young and very good looking, especially the actor who plays Chris. If he doesn't become a huge star something is wrong. Jake  Epstein has a tough role as the tortured "older" man stuck in the middle but does well with it. Jenna Gavigan is very good too and provides some nice eye candy for the rest of us. The play is very up to date and topical and like I said should appeal to a younger demographic. The play itself is good, but I suspect most of the audience was there to ogle the cast.

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 03:00 PM

jbm2
#32what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:29pm

Sounds like Straight is an okay play with eye candy?

Are there sex scenes? Nudity? Wondering what age it's appropriate for?

jbird5
#33what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:49pm

Multiple sex scenes gay & straight but the lights come down just as they get to the good parts. You see Chris's butt at one point but that's it. His name is Thomas E. Sullivan by the way. He needs a new stage name but he's got everything else to be a star imho. Jenna is in her bra at one point also but it's dark. Both guys are shirtless/ in boxers frequently. I thought the program said 14, but I would say 16 is the appropriate age but pushing it. Then again, I'm an old fuddy duddy.

jbm2
#34what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:55pm

Trying to decide between Straight and Smart People

jbird5
#35what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 4:06pm

Actually, they were boxer briefs or just briefs which are more revealing. Jenna called them boxers, which was incorrect.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 4:13pm

Trip of Love is a trip indeed. Fun musical revue featuring music of the 60's. Heavily papered so tickets are super easy to get

Cue the brickbats from the intelligentia on the board.

Poster Emeritus

vegas2
#37what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 5:17pm

I highly recommend Bedlam's production of Sense and Sensibility, if you didn't catch it last time.

jbird5
#38what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/21/16 at 5:46pm

jbm2 said: "Trying to decide between Straight and Smart People

re:Straight - I didn't see anybody on stage get 'excited'. The audience however ...

Better leave the kids at home.

vegas2
#39what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/22/16 at 1:34pm

Nice Fish is also very good. I saw it at the Guthrie a few years ago.  I'm sure it's changed a bit since then, but it was loads of fun.

SueBee06
#40what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/22/16 at 2:44pm

desperateAndee said: "I just saw Danai Gurira's FAMILIAR @ Playwrights Horizons. Was a wonderful night at the theatre. Lots of laughs, lots of heart and lots of secrets. The set is stunning. Gurira is a Queen this season. Off Bway AND Bway (Eclipsed). Highly reccomend it. 

I agree completely. I laughed full on belly laughs and cried several times when I saw it Friday. A superb cast all around. And yes, the set is beautiful. 

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#41what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/22/16 at 2:47pm

I saw "Dot" at the Vineyard last night. An expertly written new play by Coleman Domingo, with a great cast giving some superb performances. Hilarious and Heartbreaking at the same time - you won't be disappointed.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#42what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/22/16 at 3:15pm

I quite liked Red Speedo at NYTW.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jbm2
#43what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/29/16 at 12:09am

Saw DOT at the Vineyard today. It is the best play I've seen on or off Broadway in a long time....

LightsOut90
#44what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 2/29/16 at 3:30am

DOT & Red Speedo

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#45what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/12/16 at 2:10am

For those of you who recommend Daddy Long Legs, are all the seats at the Davenport good?  There are some discounted seats in rows C, G, etc.  I am thinking of buying a single ticket for a May evening performance.  Would you recommend I buy a discounted ticket ($35 plus fees so about $50) online through Broadwaybox, or is there a better way?  Could I also just show up on a Sunday night at 7:30 and buy a ticket there, you think?  Thank you for your help!

VintageSnarker
#46what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/12/16 at 2:36am

Re: Daddy Long Legs. I've seen the show twice. Once from the first or second row. Once in the mid/rear orchestra. It's a small theater. The angle was a little different but most seats should be fine as long as someone tall isn't seated in front of you. Your view of the actors/action shouldn't be obscured by sitting off center or anything like that. I don't know all the places tickets are being sold but I am sending you a PM.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#47what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/13/16 at 12:10am

I've seen Daddy Long Legs from the 1st, 4th or so, and rear orchestra, and it really doesn't make much of a difference. The theater is so small, all seats are good. It also doesn't matter if you're on the side or in the center.

I think you can probably just show up and save the online fees. The last time I saw it was on a Saturday evening, and even though it was 20for20 I had no problem getting a ticket 20 minutes before curtain.

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#48what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/13/16 at 8:01pm

Thanks for the Daddy Long Legs tips!  It looks like I will miss the 20at20 promotion because I will be there in mid-May.  I think I will just go ahead and buy a ticket ahead of time unless there is something else better to see on a Sunday night.  I am thinking that the online discount with fees is better than paying at the box office--unless they offer discounted seats there.  Do they do that?  Retail looks to be $89.50.  I am not seeing a lot of shows available for Sunday nights in May.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#49what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/13/16 at 9:08pm

They are charging $89.50 for DLL?! Yikes. I know they've got to make a living but sheesh, that's a hefty price. 

If if you bring a BroadwayBox or TheaterMania discount code to the box office you will get the discounted price without the online fees, but a smaller selection of seats since it will be so close to showtime. 

Videos