News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?- Page 3

what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#50what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/14/16 at 12:26am

Agree with everyone here: 

FAMILIAR = brilliant... laughed hard & cried hard

DADDY LONG LEGS = wonderful... saw it twice already

OLD HATS = magical...don't miss this

STRAIGHT = sexy as heck

Looking forward to DEAR EVAN HANSON based on Pasek & Paul's other works. 

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#51what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/14/16 at 1:15am

GreasedLightning said: "They are charging $89.50 for DLL?! Yikes. I know they've got to make a living but sheesh, that's a hefty price. 

If if you bring a BroadwayBox or TheaterMania discount code to the box office you will get the discounted price without the online fees, but a smaller selection of seats since it will be so close to showtime. "

Actually, Telecharge prices looked to be $59-89.  I bought an aisle seat in H for $35 plus fees, so actually $45.75.  Can't wait!  Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#52what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:20am

GreasedLightning said: "They are charging $89.50 for DLL?! Yikes. I know they've got to make a living but sheesh, that's a hefty price."

Well, technically, but I don't think a day went by when there wasn't a discount available, and you can get them for $35-50, depending on the current promotion. Doubt they sell many for $90, I feel like most people who see Off-Broadway shows know about discounts. And I think the price is fair enough, it's a beautiful, full-length show, and every seat in the theater is excellent.

NYfanfromCA, For future reference, discount codes ALWAYS also work at the box office, in advance and right up until curtain. I've done it for a few things in the past because the ridiculous fees bother me.

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#53what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/14/16 at 4:33pm

Thanks!  I decided to buy a seat for $45.75, an aisle in row H.  I probably could have waited and saved fees, but oh well.  Such a good price compared with all the Broadway shows I'm buying in advance!

jbird5
#54what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:55pm

For something different go see WOLF IN THE RIVER - a game young cast bares its souls (and quite a bit of skin). Presented in the round. All for only $20.

VintageSnarker
#55what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/15/16 at 12:07am

I wouldn't call it THE show to see but I finally caught Ruthless and it's a lot of fun. Unlike a lot of off-Broadway and Broadway shows I could name, the lyrics were not embarrassing and the singing was pretty great across the board though Kim Maresca was the highlight for me. The performances were generally solid but Pecorino as Sylvia St. Croix stole the show.

I wouldn't put it at the top of the list but if you've got some time, it's worth checking out.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#56what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/15/16 at 12:31am

Dot

Familiar

Barbara Cook's shos

Just give the world Love.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#57what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/15/16 at 8:26am

Hold  On to Me Darling by Ken Lonergan and Daddy Long Legs are on my list.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

wonkit
#58what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/15/16 at 9:23am

I saw NICE FISH over the weekend. I have never seen anything like it, but I would not have missed it for the world. Rylance is such a unique actor, and the material (prose poems by Rylance and Louis Jenkins) takes some getting used to. But it has so many layers - some funny and some poignant and some just plain wtf.

broadwayfan250
#59what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 10:29am

Daddy Long Legs is great and they're listed on a lot of discount websites like Goldstar, Groupon, and they're on TDF if you're a member! I know a lot of people who have gotten discount tickets through that way.

HarrietTaylor
#60what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 10:53am

I've seen Straight and Robber Baron in the last few weeks and sadly was not impressed by either. 

Greatly looking forward to Rylance in Nice Fish.

Emmaloucbway
#61what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 12:44pm

I recommend Cagney, which starts performances off-broadway tonight. Loved the show at the York last year!

VintageSnarker
#62what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 1:05pm

"I've seen Straight and Robber Baron in the last few weeks and sadly was not impressed by either."

Auto-correct? Robber Baron is my unfinished musical about the life and times of John D. Rockefeller. what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#63what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 3/16/16 at 1:11pm

Hold on to Me Darling at the Atlantic Theatre. Terrifically entertaining play with a stellar cast.

jbm2
#64what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 1:21am

I'm headed back to the city for Thanksgiving week. What are the messy Off Broadway shows?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#65what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 2:01am

TERMS OF ENDEARMENT with Molly Ringwald & Hannah Dunne

DEAD POETS SOCIETY with Jason Sudeikis

SWEET CHARITY with Sutton Foster

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#67what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 7:05am

I loved Vietgone. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#68what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 8:28am

The one I most want to see (and am next weekend) is Homos. Is it the one to see? Dunno yet.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#69what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 9:57am

Finian's Rainbow at Irish Repertory. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#70what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 10:13am

Sweat at the Public.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#71what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 10:26am

I agree that Sweat and Vietgone are both outstanding.  I haven't seen it yet, but "Master Harold" . . . And the Boys at the Signature is getting rave reviews and was extended through Dec. 4.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#72what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/10/16 at 10:36am

I have tickets to two small musicals, Ride the Cyclone at the Lucille Lortel Theater and The Band's Visit, at the Atlantic. Both productions had inexpensive seats available, but I don't know if any would be left at this point.

Ride the Cyclone is a transfer from Chicago, where it got strong reviews. It seems to me like one of those quirky stories that sound like unlikely material for a musical, but could end up being great.

The Band's Visit is based on a movie, but the names involved in the creation of the stage musical have people interested: music & lyrics by DAVID YAZBEK, book by ITAMAR MOSES, and directed by DAVID CROMER.

Ride the Cyclone

The Band's Visit

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#73what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/11/16 at 11:49am

Anything by Company XIV is amazing. 

Ortensiah
#74what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/11/16 at 12:14pm

I agree Vietgone was amazing. I also saw A Dog Story on a whim, and thought it was pretty great.

Relevance81491
#75what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
Posted: 11/11/16 at 12:43pm

I can recommend Sweat, Vietgone, and Sweet Charity. I have tickets to see Dead Poets and The Bands Visit this weekend. I am also looking forward to Tiny Beautiful Things and Othello

waiting to hear early reports before buying Ride The Cyclone or This Day Forward 

Videos