News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for vanbrig

vanbrig Profile Photo
Member Name: vanbrig
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!  Oct 6 2019, 01:30:30 AM
Saw this tonight, some spoilers ahead.

I had mixed-to-positive feelings, and it took a bit to process. It's very smart and thought-provoking, although I think the writing can be a messy at times and not always in a good way. The therapists are probably the weakest characters (while the others are written fantastically), and everyntjng relating to the whole nature of the roleplay situation itself (all couples having to stop when one does, all of the therapy everything being done as a wh

Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!  Sep 16 2019, 07:15:57 PM

Personally, I can see why he held the curtain. Curtains get held for all sorts of reasons. Having a celebrity with a large fanbase such as Rihanna at your show brings attention and publicity, which is often vital to keeping the show open and recouping an investment. If you need to hold the curtain to make that happen, then so be it. Is it fair? No, but neither are many other things in life. To me, Harris's mistake came from boasting about it on Twitter. Some things are better left unsaid,

Why are matinees less respected?  Aug 6 2019, 08:21:47 AM

Well part of the reason actors are more likely to take off for a matinee could be that, if they have to miss a show due to another commitment (promo things or a personal commitment), there's a strong possibility it will be happening during the daytime.

Tituss v. Andy Cohen  Jul 30 2019, 09:28:59 AM

Sally Durant Plummer said: "Maybe an agent worth their salt would know what kind of show WWHL is. This is the show where Brandi Glanville said that Joanna Krupa's vagina smelled and was sued for it. So... know the platform you're on and what its history is. It's not like the show has changed in the past 10 years - it's all about Andy being messy and asking inappropriate questions. It's not an Oprah interview.

My thoughts exactly. I think ev

Conclusions that elevate the entire show  Jul 24 2019, 03:04:49 PM

victoriafr said: "The ending to Next to Normal. The final song is of course beautiful (spoilers ahead), but when the audience finds out that Dan has had his son in his head the entire musical too, not only is it a crazy plot twist, it puts everything else in the show in a different perspective. You can go back and listen to the recording, and all of a sudden you question who some lines are sung to in the music! It's amazing."

That ending killed me. I was a mess.

Non-Smoking Contract for Actors  Jul 24 2019, 01:22:11 PM

dramamama611 said: "
You people are ridiculous. He asked a question and gave background WHY. ADDITIONALLY, no one attacked HER, they questioned her choice to smoke .. you know, given that tabacco leads to so many illnesses.
"

Some people on this board are incredibly thin-skinned, look for any reason to take offense, and then tear others down for practically no reason at all, all while patting themselves on the back for being so "non-judgmental."

Simply acknowledging the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes isn't a horrible judgy behavior; it's a statement of fact. Even light smoking can be dangerous (I believe someone earlier compared smoking a couple times a week to an athlete eating fast food a couple times a week, which isn't really an apt comparison. You can train your body to burn off fat. You can't train your lungs to filter out tar. Not to mention that smoking occasionally also creates secondhand smoke, and the I'm guessing athlete in this scenario isn't forcing big macs down the throats of everyone around them). As it turns out, people can acknowledge these facts without vilifying those who choose to smoke (of course, personal attacks and such are always wrong). If the people who are doing that offend some of the posters on this board, I'm sorry but we can't change science. 

And that's just one example of one of the many weird things that came up on this thread.    

Non-Smoking Contract for Actors  Jul 24 2019, 12:03:04 AM

This thread is crazy. I came to this thread thinking I would learn more about the topic originally proposed (are non-smoking contracts common on Broadway), and what a wild ride it's been. We've got a few random reasonable posters who answered OP's question and provided insight on that (thank you to you wonderful souls). Then we've got a slightly larger crowd going off on a bunch of tangents from one end (wondering what would possess a singer to smoke, expressing horror at the

Hadestown Understudies  Jul 21 2019, 03:05:43 PM
Jessie Shelton is amazing. She was so comfortable in the role when I saw it.
BOOK OF MORMON film  Jul 14 2019, 01:08:18 PM

DoTheDood said: "then again Andrew was in his 30s so they might want an older actor for those parts"

One can get away with casting older actors on stage a lot easier than they can for film/TV, because most of the audience isn't looking at their features up close. I'm not saying they would never cast anyone older for a movie, as it does still occur (the casting of Glee is a good example), but just because most of the original BOM vast was quite a bit older tha

Vegans and Broadway  Jul 4 2019, 02:56:54 PM

Megsamegatron said: "In all seriousness, did your friend not have a problem with the scenes of the animals stuck under the planes for 28+ hours in CFA? That seems to be a bigger concern then mentions of “cheese”.

It's a pretty easy thinking pattern to follow, even if it's not one I agree with. In CFA, the characters don't condone the animals stuck in the planes (not "under," btw. Cargo storage is part of a plane, it isn't beneath

Tony Awards Student Tickets  Jun 6 2019, 12:56:12 PM

bdn223 said: "Also based on the Black Tie requirement, I am going to assume this might be orchestra or Pit seats"

All Tony Awards tickets have the black tie requirement, regardless of whether they are in the orchestra or not. 

So is it okay for audience members to sing along during musicals?  May 30 2019, 10:33:46 PM

I mean, I read your FULL post and I had the same thought.

So is it okay for audience members to sing along during musicals?  May 30 2019, 04:12:42 PM

LizzieCurry said: "I really think it's case-by-case."

I also consider it on a case-by-case basis. There's definitely a lot to consider, so here's my opinion. When you're at the theatre, you’ve entered into the world of that show and should be respectful to both that world and the patrons around you. If it’s a show where participation is encouraged, like Summer, then (whether you like it or not) that is a part of the show’s w

Tony Award performers 2019  Apr 2 2019, 03:52:11 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "sidewalk musical of sound of music or Oklahomo "

If Oklahomo performs, I'll buy a ticket to the Tony Awards and fly in to NYC. That's not just something you can catch on TV. 

Repeat Visits To Shows  Feb 22 2019, 11:58:35 AM

With the vast majority of shows I've attended over the years, I've only seen them once. It makes my Broadway trips more special, and I have a pretty good memory so don't usually don't feel the need to catch it again. On rare occasion, if it's a show I REALLY enjoyed or one I would like to take a family member to see, I'll catch the tour. I can only think of a couple shows I enjoy enough to watch over and over again. For one of those, I have seen it several times over t

So...is Harry Potter better in part 2?  Feb 21 2019, 12:31:08 PM

Nicole 10 said: "If you are familiar with the characters, you will be delighted to see them make appearances. However, if you know them like you know your own friends, the choices they make in the play will baffle you."

I do agree that the books are MUCH better written than the play (the play has many strengths, but I wouldn't say the script is one of them). However, I didn't necessarily take issue with anyone being out of character. To be fair, the story tak

Slightly groundbreaking Dear Evan Hansen video?  Feb 15 2019, 01:42:24 AM

I wouldn't call it "groundbreaking" by any means, but it was definitely cute and a sweet gesture. 

LizzieCurry said: "I hope the people professing their shruggy reactions to this had a GREAT Valentine's Day!"

Eh, it was fine. A decent day overall. Thanks for asking. 

Largest theaters that regularly host touring productions  Jan 29 2019, 02:22:27 AM
Not to mention that even if for some arbitrary reason the Fox in Detroit were to not qualify, the Fox Atlanta still isn't the largest, because the Starlight Theatre in KC is bigger. Granted, it's an outdoor venue, but it does host multiple Equity tours each year and OP didn't specify anything about indoor theatres only.
Largest theaters that regularly host touring productions  Jan 28 2019, 12:13:22 AM

My research shows the Starlight Theatre in Kansas City hosts several Broadway tours during its summer seasons, and it has a seating capacity of 7,958.

Where is everyone?  Dec 11 2018, 04:45:59 PM

LxGstv said: "I can’t speak for Vanbrig, but my issue with it was the motivation behind it, as well as the execution.

When someone’s name in a thread pretty much gets a post deleted, it’s not just being done because it’s a violation of the terms, there’s more to it. And the mods have pretty much confirmed thisas well saying that there are things we don’t and never will know about it. It’s selective.

And the execution was

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You