News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for somethininthestars

Member Name: somethininthestars
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Projections as scenery look bad on stage.
 Oct 20 2013, 02:38:47 AM
For me, the best use of projections to date was in the British SUNDAY IN THE PARK revival that played Studio 54. I saw it twice, and thought it was near perfection. They added without pulling attention, which i think was a combination of:
-the convention was established in the 1st scene, giving everyone a chance to get used to it
-they were beautifully done and cleverly integrated
-the lighting worked with them rather than against them

I loved about 90% of the projections in

HANDS ON A HARDBOY CD Signing Set For Sept. 4th!!!!!
 Aug 16 2013, 03:36:55 AM
HANDS ON A HARDBOY, eh?
Perhaps that version would have run longer.

10th Annual NYMF Thread
 Jul 29 2013, 03:05:02 AM
VOLLEYGIRLS won Best of Fest.
CROSSING SWORDS won several: Director for Igor Goldin, also i think book and music and Best New American Musical (?)
CASTLE WALK won a couple also, i think one for Lynne Winterstellar and choreography?
For me CASTLE WALK and CROSSING SWORDS were the best, difficult to choose which one is "better".
Hopefully a full list will be posted in the morning!

Andy Karl Will Be Broadway's ROCKY
 Jul 23 2013, 10:47:59 PM
I'm glad it's not just me who wants to see Drew do this in his native country - and language! He is a remarkable performer, and he looks amazing in the clips i have seen...
10th Annual NYMF Thread
 Jul 22 2013, 11:14:26 AM
OK, i'll keep going by myself..!

LEGACY FALLS: Brilliant, funny, well produced send up of soap operas, on and off the air. I'd tell you all to run and see it, but there is only one performance left, and it's been sold out for some time. Strong performances by the whole cast, particularly Kevin Spiritas in the lead (though he's had practice, he was a leading man on DAYS OF OUR LIVES for years), mostly great costumes, and a smart use of projections help the show... but with a script THIS

10th Annual NYMF Thread
 Jul 20 2013, 12:55:28 PM
C'mon now - is no one else seeing NYMF shows?
I'd love to hear more comments and opinions here...

10th Annual NYMF Thread
 Jul 19 2013, 03:57:57 AM
Since my last report, i have seen:

PRODUCTIONS

MATA HARI IN 8 BULLETS:
Lovely, evocative, difficult to describe. Her performance is incredible, the music is strange and beautiful, and the tech/lighting is just about perfect. One more performance, Saturday at 5:30 - GO!

ANGEL DELUNA: i know a lot of people loved this, and i really wanted to, but - no. Cool circus tricks- and beautiful lighting do not make up for a convoluted story which feels like a mashup of 2 diff

10th Annual NYMF Thread
 Jul 17 2013, 11:48:01 AM
Full Productions:
SASQUATCHED!: Very silly and fun, EXCELLENT direction, choreography and performances elevated the rather repetitive country/rock songs and mostly cliched story. Very likable all in all.

JULIAN PO: Love Malcolm Gets. The show had a great cast, but an irrelevant beginning and a frustrating ending sort of buried the lovely show that happened in the middle. (And does "Don't Let Go" sound just like an 80s power ballad duet escaped from a film soundtrack, or is it just m

10th Annual NYMF Thread
 Jul 17 2013, 11:34:29 AM
So far at NYMF i have seen developmental readings edition):

ALICE UNRAVELED: great music, good performances, but the story needs work... (and please don't narrate every single stage direction in your show!) Interesting to see what happens with it, lots of college and just out of college students involved with this.

ROSE PETALS: i LOVED this, though i feel like we saw a sketched in version. The music is awesome, check it out: there are 3 demos available on the NYMF Soundclo

What are you favorite/least favorite Show Logos?
 Jul 4 2013, 12:29:31 PM
The original FOLLIES poster is pretty much perfection as best show artwork... but is that a "logo"?
In recent years, i loved CATCH ME IF YOU CAN: simple, graphic, bright, captured all you need to know about the show (which i love)
And i love the image for the new CINDERELLA also, though i wish it was a little less subtle - i didn't see the girl for ages.
WONDERLAND had a cool poster, but i don't think it helped the show...(never saw it)

Hated: A CATERED AFFAIR - i swear, tha

What should I see?
 Jul 1 2013, 04:54:55 PM
Is HERE LIES LOVE still worth seeing even from the balcony?
A Lasting Impression at Joe's Pub
 Jun 30 2013, 03:31:49 PM
I was there! I thought the music was great; i love most of the songs - some are just breathtaking! (I confess to some familiarity with an earlier version.) There was at least one new song last night, and some changes were made in the book as well.
That said, I think it was probably a mistake to try to do so much of the dialogue. Limited rehearsal = actors reading from scripts = slow pacing = loss of audience attention. It was a great cast - just let those singers SING!
I think it was de

Cute little lyrics you love
 Jun 20 2013, 06:00:02 AM
Adam Gwon, ORDINARY DAYS, "Calm"

Woody Allen heard Gershwin in the air
when he thought Manhattan
Well I’m not so impressed
I get like Philip Glass at best

(Actually i could fill a page with Adam Gwon lyrics...)

Hands on a Hardbody
 Jun 14 2013, 05:56:24 AM
New Line Theatre in St. Louis, Mo will be doing HANDS ON A HARD BODY in their upcoming season. (And NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Scott Miller is taking on some interesting projects there in STL - a reworked version of CRY BABY last year, and they are currently doing BUKOWSICAL: http://newlinetheatre.blogspot.com/)
Chess - London vs Broadway
 Jun 13 2013, 06:10:35 AM
i just saw the East West Players production in Los Angeles, in which they have Svetlana singing "Heaven Help My Heart" which makes no sense to me at all (except that the actress, Carey Rebecca Brown, sang the HELL out of it - i can understand why they'd want more of her!)
If i remember correctly, in the Actors' Fund version last year (with Drew Sarich and Robert Cuccioli) "Heaven Help My Heart" was partly a duet, with Florence starting it, and Anatoly singing part of it, which i thought was

Pippin previews start tomorrow
 Mar 24 2013, 07:37:40 PM
There definitely merchandise for sale, though i didn't see what there was other than small stuffed ducks. i think T-shirts.
They have guys walking around and selling them out of boxes (like snacks at the circus?) so you couldn't really see what was in them.

Moonshadow
 Jul 8 2012, 04:13:16 AM
There is a fair amount to be seen on YouTube, and an official MOONSHADOW the Musical channel, which the promo below is from.

Gemma-Ashley Kaplan is breathtakingly good in everything i've seen her do.

Alan Cumming's solo Macbeth
 Jul 7 2012, 01:42:59 PM
Row AA is too scary for me, I worry about the height of the stage... but I was able to get a pair in CC for Thurs, side section but on the aisle toward center (where they cost $20 more). Can't wait!!!
Btw, I found Lincoln Center's ticketing site to be maddening. I wish it would either let you pick seats, or do what (ithink) Telecharge does, and lets you try for a range of dates.
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations!

Cringeworthy Lyrics
 Jul 6 2012, 03:13:02 AM
How can you top this?

I got Brooklyn in the blood
Racing through my veins.
Roaming through my body like a subway train.

Brooklyn in the blood sounds like something maybe a little penicillin might clear up. And why o why is it not RUNNING through my body like a subway train (or better yet, running through my veins, RACING[...] like a subway train)? I hope the subway trains aren't roaming... (imean, i know sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, but still) Ta

Alan Cumming's solo Macbeth
 Jul 6 2012, 02:19:34 AM
Yup.
Just trying to figure out which direction i'd prefer my crappy seat to be in...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You