pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 3:56pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/24/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: MELISSA ETHERIDGE: MY WINDOW (9.4%), PURLIE VICTORIOUS: A NON-CONFEDERATE ROMP THROUGH THE COTTON PATCH (2.4%), THE LION KING (0.7%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: WICKED (-21.1%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-17.5%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-15.6%), HADESTOWN (-11.9%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-11.9%), HERE LIES LOVE (-11.8%), CHICAGO (-11.4%), SIX (-10.7%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-9.2%), & JULIET (-9%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-7.7%), THE SHARK IS BROKEN (-7.4%), GUTENBERG! THE MUSICAL! (-7.2%), SHUCKED (-5.9%), THE COTTAGE (-5.8%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-5.6%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (-2.7%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-2.4%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-1.6%), JAJA'S AFRICAN HAIR BRAIDING (-1.1%), HAMILTON (-0.6%), ALADDIN (-0.6%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:01pm

Jewish holidays took a toll, perhaps? Numbers are down for almost everything…seems less than typical this this time of year?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:02pm

Was expecting most shows to take a dip since the Broadway week BOGO offer ended last Sunday.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:03pm

I wonder why such low capacity for Wicked? They're usually quite a bit more full than that.

pablitonizer
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:04pm

Great for Sweeney Todd and Josh's return!

There's no way Shark is broken will finish its run in November and HLL should be announcing their closing date soon. Purlie Victorious is not taking off either

Updated On: 9/26/23 at 04:04 PM

hearthemsing22
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:12pm

As a human who is a theater fan and not thinking as a producer, the fact that BTTF keeps hitting $1M makes me happy. Whether or not they can sustain that and go higher...there's a question 

lopside
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:16pm

hearthemsing22 said: "As a human who is a theater fan and not thinking as a producer, the fact that BTTF keeps hitting $1M makes me happy. Whether or not they can sustain that and go higher...there's a question"

Has Future done anything on TV?

Whiskers2
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:17pm

do we know what the approx weekly breakeven for Hadestown is? Getting worried about that one sad

B212323
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:18pm

pablitonizer said: "Great for Sweeney Todd and Josh's return!

There's no way Shark is broken will finish its run in November and HLL should be announcing their closing date soon. Purlie Victorious is not taking off either
"

We'll see if Purlie gets a bump after opening but I'm really surprised they haven't pulled the plug on Shark - are they gearing up for a pro shot sold to a streamer? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:20pm

Percent capacity hasn't been this low for Wicked since the first few weeks in May of last year. Not concerned for them at all though, they should be fine in the long run.

Also, ouch, Some Like It Hot.

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:21pm

lopside said: "hearthemsing22 said: "As a human who is a theater fan and not thinking as a producer, the fact that BTTF keeps hitting $1M makes me happy. Whether or not they can sustain that and go higher...there's a question"

Has Future done anything on TV?
"

Yes, they did a few numbers from the show on Good Morning America early last month.

Oh look, a bibu!

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:23pm

Some Like It Hot, Here Lies Love, and Hadestown are quickly approaching the danger zone

I wonder if towards the winter we start to see owners using their stop clauses, since there is no shortage of shows that want theaters

I don't know why Hadestown didn't replace Orpheus with some kind of name or star sooner, because at this rate it'll close before they manage to do so

That Beautiful Noise capacity drop is concerning, but could be due to the holiday weekend

Kimberly Akimbo also concerning me as that gross drops...

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

barcelona20
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:26pm

Can Merrily sustain a $225 ticket for the entire run?

Updated On: 9/26/23 at 04:26 PM

berniesb!tch
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:30pm

Pretty bad week all around. Here Lies Love's numbers continue to make me sad. It deserves such a long run.  

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:31pm

I feel like they would’ve pulled the plug on SHARK already if it was that dire. Dismal number they may be, it’s still 3 actors, 3 understudies, and a unit set. 

PURLIE VICTORIOUS is going to need some fantastic reviews to really sell it, but the lack of discounts/TDF and the poor marketing isn’t helping. It’s a fantastic production but I feel like it’s going to be the AIN’T NO MO of the season. (Opening night Mezz tickets are even on sale now)

SOME LIKE IT HOT isn’t going to last much longer and should announce their closing so they can clean up in the last few months. (They aren’t selling past January 14th and having lost their Tony winning marquee star cannot be helping.) HADESTOWN either (though too soon to tell if Betty Who helps sales). HERE LIES LOVE still feels too early to call for me but those numbers are not promising at all. As much as I’m rooting for their success, I am simultaneously able to see them packing up come January

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 9/26/23 at 04:31 PM

amiyagi
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:31pm

What happened to Wicked’s capacity?? A 21% drop to 76.96%? Not worried for them, it's just weird. 

What is Hadestown’s breakeven? A drop to $552K is the lowest it’s been in quite some time.

HLL cannot possibly hold on much longer.

January closing for KA and SLIH? And maybe ABN?

BoringBoredBoard40
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:48pm

Certainly seems KA is on the way out barring some big stunt casting or what not 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:49pm

A Beautiful Noise still had the fifth highest average ticket price which is how they were able to still get nearly $900k for the week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 4:51pm

Would imagine nothing would close before the holidays if they’ve made it this far but who knows. We haven’t seen much of anything gain traction post Covid. Maybe everyone’s just a little more weary of spending the money on something new. 

Jarethan
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 5:02pm

RippedMan said: "Would imagine nothing would close before the holidays if they’ve made it this far but who knows. We haven’t seen much of anything gain traction post Covid. Maybe everyone’s just a little more weary of spending the money on something new."

A lot of people are forgetting that recent year-end holidays have done great business for a lot of shows, but generally not musicals already in trouble (not enough to justify losing money for D weeks before) and dramas without big stars.

If SLIH and others start losing money (if they are not already), then keeping them open to the holidays is not actually a smart financial move.  

JasonC3
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 5:09pm

Given the wide availability Purlie has on so many dates, particularly in the mezzanine, it's interesting their discounts are limited to so few seats in the theater and still keep the price fairly high.

Phantom4ever
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 5:28pm

Wicked has been playing for 20 years. Only New Yorkers are in town (other than UNGA) and the vast majority of New Yorkers who want to see Wicked have already seen it. Expect more rough weeks like this for Wicked ahead. Lion King seems better suited to weather these downtown since new kids are always coming up who want to see a Disney show that adults know will be good (no matter how hacked up the show has gotten over the years). 

And as for shows holding out to the holidays.....please go look at historical grosses. Thanksgiving is a great week, Christmas is a great week, New Years is a great week but the other weeks are all average at best. This board keeps pushing the myth that mid November to early January is nonstop recording breaking crowds is simply not true. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 5:53pm

Yet the producers of WICKED refuse to put the show up on TKTS. I believe that, for a while, they've been closing off the back of the mezzanine for weeknight performances. Why not just offer those seats on TKTS?

JSquared2
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 5:58pm

ACL2006 said: "Yet the producers of WICKED refuse to put the show up on TKTS. I believe that, for a while, they've been closing off the back of the mezzanine for weeknight performances. Why not just offer those seats on TKTS?"

It's all about perception.  Most producers and marketing people believe that once people know that discounts are available, that's the end of full priced tickets. The producers would rather take the short term loss that risk losing far more in the long run.

BETTY22
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/24/23
Posted: 9/26/23 at 6:45pm

OUCH! Here Lies Love is losing a lot of money each week.....